Apple's Schiller 'unfollows' Tony Fadell and Nest after Google acquisition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller "unfollowed" the Twitter accounts of Tony Fadell and his company Nest Labs just days after the "smart home" product firm was purchased by Google.

Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller unveils the redesigned Mac Pro.

Schiller, who follows 114 people on Twitter and posts to the service about four to five times a month, removed Fadell and Nest from his list on Friday. It can be speculated that the move is a result of Fadell's decision to sell his company to Google for $3.2 billion, thus granting the Android maker exclusive access to its smart home hardware and software assets.

Fadell, who many call "the godfather of the iPod" due to his work on the iconic music player, cofounded Nest Labs alongside former Apple engineer Matt Rogers. Nest has subsequently made a number of hires from Apple's ranks, including former director of iPod software Bryan James and former chief patent counsel Chip Lutton, Jr..

As a company, Nest's ties with Apple run deep. The firm's first product, the Nest Learning Thermostat, was initially launched as an Apple Store exclusive in 2012 and the current second-generation device is one of the few third-party accessories sold through Apple's retail network. Nest introduced its second smart home product, the Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide detector, in October 2013.

It is unclear how Google's acquisition of Nest will affect ties with Apple. The Internet search giant promised the operation would run as somewhat of a separate entity, with CEO Larry Page describing the relationship as somewhere between YouTube and Motorola.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Why, why, why didn't Apple just buy Nest and keep it all in the family?
  • Reply 2 of 162
    Then explain why the CHAIRMAN of the board of Apple works for time for Google as CEO of Calico?
  • Reply 3 of 162
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Can't unfollow someone, my ass!

• Reply 4 of 162
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Because it's an overpriced company with no worthwhile IP.
  • Reply 5 of 162
    foadfoad Posts: 717member

Because they didn't need them. Apple's engineering and design team are among the best in the world. Nest wouldn't bring anything to the table that they don't already have. While I have a Nest thermostat, I am not surprised in the least bit that they didn't buy them.

More on topic...who cares that he unfollowed him? In the grand scheme of things going on with Apple, who Phil Schiller follows on Twitter isn't even on the list of what anyone should care about.

• Reply 6 of 162
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Apple had very smart people who I am sure considered an acquisition and deemed it not worthy. Being bought-out does not validate a business model (though it can make shareholders rich).
  • Reply 7 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    foad wrote: »
    Because they didn't need them. Apple's engineering and design team are among the best in the world. Nest wouldn't bring anything to the table that they don't already have. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">While I have a Nest thermostat, I am not surprised in the least bit that they didn't buy them.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">More on topic...who cares that he </span>
    unfollowed him? In the grand scheme of things going on with Apple, who Phil Schiller follows on Twitter isn't even on the list of what anyone should care about.
    i guess this is what 9to5Mac thinks is hard hitting journalism. Mark Gurman is already whining on twitter because others are reporting this without giving him credit. As if it's so difficult to check who someone follows on twitter (or that no one else would have thought to do what he did). :rolleyes:
  • Reply 8 of 162
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Oooo .... Oooo! Does this mean that Phil will have to chisel off the P.S. (Heart) T.F. that he carved on that tree in Apple's back yard? :D
  • Reply 9 of 162
    Google rescued Nest from the legal wrath of Honeywell but has no use for Nest at this time.
    Nest had to sell its soul to Google which had already invested in the company in order to survive. I think the thermostat and smoke detector products will likely die a slow death.

Nest probably has some talented engineers and designers. If the history Be Incorporated is any indication, the engineers who came from Apple will gradually gravitate back to Apple within a few years.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 10 of 162
    nkalu wrote: »
    Why, why, why didn't Apple just buy Nest and keep it all in the family?
    Pethaps Nest had no interest in being acquired by Apple? Why do people assume Apple could have purchased them if they wanted to? Just because some of the Nest engineers used to work at Apple? Also I have a hard time believing the 100-200 employees at Nest are really worth $3B. Google overpaid because they could (the founders basically have all the control of the company) and because a large sum would make the acquisition look more important than it is.
  • Reply 11 of 162
    Google rescued Nest from the legal wrath of Honeywell but has no use for Nest at this time.
    Nest had to sell its soul to Google which had already invested in the company in order to survive. I think the thermostat and smoke detector products will likely die a slow death.

Nest probably has some talented engineers and designers. If the history Be Incorporated is any indication, the engineers who came from Apple will gradually gravitate back to Apple within a few years.

Time will tell.
    The Nest products were designed by a 3rd party firm called Bould. If Nest had such great designers why are they outsourcing their product design to a consultancy?
  • Reply 12 of 162
    Really, AppleInsider?

You know, just because a worthless "story" that tangentially involves Apple appears on The Verge, does not mean it's worth copying.

Come on. This is really weak.
  • Reply 13 of 162
    rogifan wrote: »
    The Nest products were designed by a 3rd party firm called Bould. If Nest had such great designers why are they outsourcing their product design to a consultancy?

This is the most missed point of this whole Nest conversation. I haven't seen it reported by any major outlets. It's kind of annoying but it's par for the course.
  • Reply 14 of 162
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Really, AppleInsider?

You know, just because a worthless "story" that tangentially involves Apple appears on The Verge, does not mean it's worth copying.

Come on. This is really weak.

Yeah, pretty lame. Sounds like the media trying to make something out of nothing. 

• Reply 15 of 162

3 billion dollars!!! I would drop Apple and iPhone in an instant and use a Google Chromebook and an Android phone (although I'd hate it) for that kind of money. Yes, I can be bought. Well done TF for suckering Google into paying you 3 bill.

• Reply 16 of 162
    Interesting...Business Insider did a profile on Bould.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fred-bould-nest-roku-gopro-2014-1
  • Reply 17 of 162
    This is the most missed point of this whole Nest conversation. I haven't seen it reported by any major outlets. It's kind of annoying but it's par for the course.
    Because that wouldn't fit that narrative that Google and Nest wanted to get out there.
  • Reply 18 of 162
    Interesting...Business Insider did a profile on Bould.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fred-bould-nest-roku-gopro-2014-1
    Interesting. As far as the Apple mention, I'm a bit skeptical that they use outside ID firms for any product design. Maybe for some model making, although I've seen job reqs for Model makers on Apple's site in the past, so my guess is Apple does that in house too.
  • Reply 19 of 162
    Perhaps AppleInsider should rename itself AppleGossip. This is really not newsworthy but it's part of a clear trend where AppleInsider has become much less about what we might see next from Apple, to far too much minor news about the company's legal wrangles, how it's products are used, and what Google is up to. All fine if you're into that (I'm not!) but AppleInsider used to be so, so much more%u2026
  • Reply 20 of 162
    While nest may be a unique product it's nothing that's a "must have item "
    Apple loyalists will he hesitant to buy this product. As will the regular community as Google spying is something that's out of hand
    If Apple wanted Nest they could have bought it a long time ago yet they didn't