'Cortana,' Microsoft's Siri competitor, to go public in April - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    gatorguy wrote: »
    He's already banned AFAIK. Quoting him/her now just makes more clean-up work for mods, or worse lets those offensive posts live on if your quote goes unnoticed.

The poor mods. I weep for them.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    One more thing for Ballmer's replacement to deal with. It's like Ballmer is making it harder and harder for the new CEO to have any latitude to improve things, thereby making it harder to find anyone who will take the job.

The way things are going MS will hire from within and announce that Steve Ballmer will take the open CEO position, and break dancing will ensure everywhere.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    Reminds me of the Morgana fortune telling machine from the 70''s.

http://mechanicalarcade.com/morgana.htm
  • Reply 44 of 89
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

(For those unaware, Cortana is the name of the Master Chief's artificial intelligence companion that assists him in the Halo game series)

Microsoft can’t make anything popular on their own. They have to piggyback the success of others.

Originally Posted by G-News View Post

And the male voice is going to be called Durandal? Or Tycho?

Knowing Microsoft, they’ll call it Penitent Tangient.

Originally Posted by bmd0019 View Post

Who names stuff at Microsoft?

In this case, Bungie.

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

So you are complaining about Apple fans on a site called AppleInsider......and you are on this site because?......

Mental illness.

• Reply 45 of 89
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Voice of Uma Thurman, too?

btw: "almost magical" doesn't cut it

This is Microsoft, that should be "almost works"!

Hear that?  That's the sound of answers being added to Siri's humor repertoire when asked about Cortana.  Can't wait!

/

/

• Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bmd0019 View Post

Who names stuff at Microsoft? Their names are always terrible.

Steve Ballmer's final act of defiance?

• Reply 47 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I really liked Cortana's voice and personality in the Halo games. I don't find Siri very likeable. But it comes down to the comprehension and info retrieval capabilities more than the personality I guess.

• Reply 48 of 89

Microsoft just doesn't have any original ideas do they?

Always copying Apple, from the day they left the C-Prompt they haven't had a single original idea !

• Reply 49 of 89
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    LOL "frothing at the mouth"? Look who's talking.

I liked that guy. Seemed to balance the site out. The account banned already?
  • Reply 50 of 89
    It's the blue girl of death!
  • Reply 51 of 89
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    flaneur wrote: »
    Someone put this up the other day. It bears repeating:

To be fair, men just act stupid to attract women and the craziest ones fall for it. Whether it's Siri, Cortana, whatever, we guys will always be the same:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 52 of 89
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Microsoft just can't stop trying to ruin everything that is Halo.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    In defense of Cortana, she sacrificed herself to save Master Chief and the rest of humanity. ;)
  • Reply 54 of 89

The last place I worked was a full Microsoft shop.  Two or three years ago they installed Microsoft's communication system linking the phones with Outlook.  One of the "features":  when a phone message was left an email was sent to you with a translation of the message into text.  Even though I would know who the message was from and thus have a fair idea of what the topic would be, it was completely impossible to understand --  it was hilarious and made absolutely no sense at all.  I have no idea how many speech to text tools that MS may have, but if this was their core engine for translating, then Cortana could well be enormously entertaining. 

• Reply 55 of 89
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

In defense of Cortana, she sacrificed herself to save Master Chief and the rest of humanity. image

Spoiler alert! I haven’t played through 3 yet! :mad:

Wait, we’re on 5 now, right?

• Reply 56 of 89
    ewtheckman wrote: »
    It makes a certain amount of sense to use the name and image of Cortana. They already own the rights. It's a fairly unique name, avoiding most issues with real people's names. And the character from Halo already has a lot of positive emotion associated with it.

But they also only have one shot to get this right. If they pull a Zune, Vista, or Windows 8 with this one they will destroy a lot more than the ability to use the name without triggering negative emotions, I suspect they'll also damage the Halo franchise, and possibly everything associated with it, like Xbox—the one real bright spot at Microsoft right now.

This all makes me wonder if anyone is taking advantage of IBM's developments in Watson.

IBM just announce they are going to put Watson in the cloud ($2 billion data center investment to start) and you can rent it. I am quite eager to see the API (Apple is slow with Siri for third party)
  • Reply 57 of 89
    [QUOTE]"Cortana" sounds like a synthetic shoe material[/QUOTE]

It is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordura

Titan10
  • Reply 58 of 89
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Ahh, the same old Microsoft formula.....

1. Try and discredit any new Apple product as "gimmicks", "fads" and "useless" products that no one needs.
    2. Work like crazy copying that new Apple product.
    3. Release substandard copied product, claiming it as an innovative Microsoft product that everyone needs.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    One more thing for Ballmer's replacement to deal with. It's like Ballmer is making it harder and harder for the new CEO to have any latitude to improve things, thereby making it harder to find anyone who will take the job.

The way things are going MS will hire from within and announce that Steve Ballmer will take the open CEO position, and break dancing will ensure everywhere.

I think you meant to say 'ensue everywhere.'

Funny post!
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Hmm Siri is also still in beta... I really hope that Apple finalize this, still some work todo, but yeah there are for the moment no better alternatives, let's hope that Microsoft is not better in this area, come on Siri ;-)