Apple's Schiller 'unfollows' Tony Fadell and Nest after Google acquisition

Comments

• Reply 141 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Like this?

Notice how Fadell switches from "we" to "I" in that quote. One thing about current Apple executives is you never hear them say "I". It's always "we". With Fadell I hear lots of "I". I don't think that would fit in to Cook's current culture of collaboration and no politics.

Never mind.

Too early in the morning.

• Reply 142 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post

The truth hurts doesn't it, Apple don't share anything outside their walled garden, everything is proprietary from cables to chargers to icloud to iMessage to facetime etc. etc.

You don't know much about Apple, now do you? Your post sounds like someone from 1992.

• Reply 143 of 162

The Nest is cool, but it's too expensive for me and doesn't have much customizable content. I'll probably wind up buying the Webee at some point http://igg.me/at/webee-smart-home-automation/x/5944165 or possibly the EmoSPARK idk if anyone has tried either of these http://igg.me/at/emospark/x/5944165

• Reply 144 of 162
    charlituna wrote: »
    So what? Talk about dregs. It's really pathetic that this is being treated like major news. It's not

Judging by the number of posts, people here don't seem to agree with you.
  • Reply 145 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So what? Talk about dregs. It's really pathetic that this is being treated like major news. It's not

The basis of the article - Schiller unfollowing Fadell - is certainly not news. The relevance of Nest to Apple or Google is the more interesting topic.

• Reply 146 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The basis of the article - Schiller unfollowing Fadell - is certainly not news. The relevance of Nest to Apple or Google is the more interesting topic.

However, it was precisely that news item which generated the content of which you speak.

To dismiss it as 'dreg' misses the larger point that AI perhaps did the right thing here by reporting it.

• Reply 147 of 162
    This article proves one thing...

it was a seriously slow news day, 'cause this isn't news, it's nothing. People unfollow people all the time, it's a desperate media outlet that tries to turn something so banal into a 'story'. Tsk, tsp!!
  • Reply 148 of 162
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Off-topic comment removed.
  • Reply 149 of 162
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Oh please. Number of posts in a fan site like this is not a measure of the newsworthy ness of anything.

Especially when a fair number of the posts are about how sad such an article makes the site look. Or that most folks are ignoring it for what the article should have been about 'why google bought it in the first place
  • Reply 150 of 162
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Number of posts in a fan site like this is not a measure of the newsworthy ness of anything.

That’s the exact definition thereof, actually.

News is news because it’s noteworthy or new. This is both, by virtue of the fact that it’s being noted.

It’s the adult, contemporary version of the playground snub. The ‘pretend you’re not listening’ treatment. And those claiming it wasn’t a result of the Nest purchase have lost it.

• Reply 151 of 162
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

Nest has been around for quite a while now. We hardly ever heard anything about Nest on AppleInsider, except when they announce a new product.

All 2 of them...
  • Reply 152 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

However, it was precisely that news item which generated the content of which you speak.

To dismiss it as 'dreg' misses the larger point that AI perhaps did the right thing here by reporting it.

Completely agree. The article just about the purchase should have generated all the same discussion, but apparently there was still much left to discuss.

• Reply 153 of 162
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    vvswarup wrote: »
    Nest has been around for quite a while now. We hardly ever heard anything about Nest on AppleInsider, except when they announce a new product.

I can find at least 6 previous AI articles about Nest before the Google news broke. They've always a company of interest here.
  • Reply 154 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I can find at least 6 previous AI articles about Nest before the Google news broke. They've always a company of interest here.

But Apple buying out Nest, I don't know if I heard that one. Maybe a few comments here or there on the forum, but the talk has reached a new level of intensity, after Google paid through their nose for it. It's almost as though people think Apple should have bought out Nest just to prevent Google from getting their hands on it. 

• Reply 155 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    vvswarup wrote: »
    But Apple buying out Nest, I don't know if I heard that one. Maybe a few comments here or there on the forum, but the talk has reached a new level of intensity, after Google paid through their nose for it. It's almost as though people think Apple should have bought out Nest just to prevent Google from getting their hands on it. 

1) Your comment, that GG replied to, made no mention of Apple buying out Nest.

2) While completely legal and surely strategic I'm personally not a fan of companies buying others just to sit on the IP.
  • Reply 156 of 162

What is this, grade school?

• Reply 157 of 162

Don't unfollow me bro!

On a serious note, it was obvious that Google really wanted Nest at any cost, the price they paid is utterly absurd.

• Reply 158 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Don't unfollow me bro!

On a serious note, it was obvious that Google really wanted Nest at any cost, the price they paid is utterly absurd.

The next one is Dyson.

• Reply 159 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Like this?

Notice how Fadell switches from "we" to "I" in that quote. One thing about current Apple executives is you never hear them say "I". It's always "we". With Fadell I hear lots of "I". I don't think that would fit in to Cook's current culture of collaboration and no politics.

The term, ``I,'' never fit at NeXT but it was a common theme during the merger from whining Apple employees wanting their sabbaticals before Steve pulled the plug on the program.

All of us wore several hats at NeXT and Apple. It's the difference between a spoiled brat and an adult. Fadell was never cut out to be Apple, never mind, NeXT material. The fact the guy was first hired solely as a contractor, after having worked in the past for Apple's subsidiary, General Magic, should have been a clue they found him narcissistic and needed to prove himself enough to warrant a stock structure.

From Tony's Wiki bio:

Quote:

In 1995 he was hired by Philips where he co-founded their Mobile Computing Group and served as the Chief Technology Officer, and Director of Engineering. He developed a number of Windows CE-based handheld services, notably the Philips Velo and Nino PDA [5] Fadell went on to become a Vice President of Philips Strategy and Ventures where he was in charge of developing Philips' digital audio strategy consisting of technology direction for silicon and software, as well as its investment portfolio and potential business models.[6][7]

Who in their right mind hires a kid with 4 years professional industry experience, with a B.S. in Computer Engineering [by the way, it's a merging of a minor in CS and EE, focused on circuits and not large scale power systems] in 1991, to become CTO for Philips entire Mobile Computing Group. I'd have fired that decision maker on the spot.

• Reply 160 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The term, ``I,'' never fit at NeXT but it was a common theme during the merger from whining Apple employees wanting their sabbaticals before Steve pulled the plug on the program.

All of us wore several hats at NeXT and Apple. It's the difference between a spoiled brat and an adult. Fadell was never cut out to be Apple, never mind, NeXT material. The fact the guy was first hired solely as a contractor, after having worked in the past for Apple's subsidiary, General Magic, should have been a clue they found him narcissistic and needed to prove himself enough to warrant a stock structure.

From Tony's Wiki bio:

Who in their right mind hires a kid with 4 years professional industry experience, with a B.S. in Computer Engineering [by the way, it's a merging of a minor in CS and EE, focused on circuits and not large scale power systems] in 1991, to become CTO for Philips entire Mobile Computing Group. I'd have fired that decision maker on the spot.
    What did Apple pay for NeXT? Around $400M? Are we really supposed to believe Tony Fadell is worth more than Steve Jobs? Or that the engineers at Nest are more valuable than the engineers at NeXT were?