Apple's iPhone now represents 42% of smartphones owned in the US - NPD

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jungmark wrote: »
    ... You could probably figure it out if your " well educated".

Some irony there.

ROTF!
  • Reply 62 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Your name and your statement are both logically incorrect, so at least you are consistent.

It was an absurd reply to an absurd post.  And just so you know, names  aren't ever logically correct.  i.e. there's not logical reason a rock is called a rock.  It's just something that was decided upon.

• Reply 63 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

At lunch right now. Bartender says he prefers Android over iPhone. Instead of ignoring him, I challenge him to tell me why. Well he can download whatever he wants. When I realized he primarily downloaded FREE apps, I had a great laugh. He confirmed the free apps. I am tempted to loan him my old 4S just to show him there is more to it. On his own he praised the iPhone camera being superior than Android cameras. This is great.

The hopelessly uninformed and blind Android love based off of incorrect assumptions regarding free this or that, being able to download whatever you would like, etc. is something that an Apple user such as myself seems to have to exhaustingly encounter far too frequently from Android users touting their phone's alleged superiority. I am sure you had quite a lot of fun toying with this bartender, but I must admit I am curious as to what you would say in retort to his comments? Obviously, any app that is free on Android is also free on the App Store, or at least would have a superior paid app. I also use iDownloader extensively, so any uninformed Android user clinging to ignorant assumptions born from an unfamiliarity with an Apple device and its strengths is easily silenced. But I think it would be fun to hear from fellow Apple fans who have to engage in this "debate" from time to time as well, if you have a minute.

• Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

yes, balance is necessary. My wife and I have a policy NEVER to use our iPhones when we are at dinner/lunch.  We do check if its a phone call, since it might be an emergency.  But no texting, emails, ect.   Its ridiculous when we see families at a nice restaurant (or any restaurant) all playing with their phones instead of you know TALKING to each other!

Well, when your only hope of going out to dinner includes taking the 1-2 year old kids along since there is no sitter, an iDevice makes a 1.5-2 hour dinner out possible. You can't discount the opportunity to enjoy "that" time unless you have been there. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Don't think it matters; just look around you. There's your market share. Where I live and walk, predominately iPhone.

No doubt, brother.

I have worked in many different places. Schools , colleges, universities.. many different retail chains, private business/industries...courthouses...I could go on but I am only trying to back up your point. Everywhere I am it is that way. And I have worked at all the above mentioned since the first iPhone came out. (And for 25 years before that too)

Now, I will say that there is a marked difference in iPhone to android between the hourly workers at lower end retail stores/businesses and the managers at these places. Management are predominantly iPhone. Then maybe half or so of the low paid workers have androids. They NEVER brag about android.

Its amazing how many students have iOS devices at high schools, too.  Maybe the reason I don't see many android devises at high schools is because the kids are too embarrassed to be seen with them. I know I would have been.

Android is like a stigma - not dissimilar to having to wear sears tough skin jeans instead of Levis back in "79 because your too poor. Teen years are tough enough on kids, why make it unbearably tough and embarrassing by having to be seen with android devices.

• Reply 65 of 75
    No doubt, brother.
    I have worked in many different places. Schools , colleges, universities.. many different retail chains, private business/industries...courthouses...I could go on but I am only trying to back up your point. Everywhere I am it is that way. And I have worked at all the above mentioned since the first iPhone came out. (And for 25 years before that too)
    Now, I will say that there is a marked difference in iPhone to android between the hourly workers at lower end retail stores/businesses and the managers at these places. Management are predominantly iPhone. Then maybe half or so of the low paid workers have androids. They NEVER brag about android.
    Its amazing how many students have iOS devices at high schools, too.  Maybe the reason I don't see many android devises at high schools is because the kids are too embarrassed to be seen with them. I know I would have been.
    Android is like a stigma - not dissimilar to having to wear sears tough skin jeans instead of Levis back in "79 because your too poor. Teen years are tough enough on kids, why make it unbearably tough and embarrassing by having to be seen with android devices.

Excellent view on this phenomena. Guess Mr. Gator moves in different circles, as he mostly sees Android devices. Oh well, not important
  • Reply 66 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Excellent view on this phenomena. Guess Mr. Gator moves in different circles, as he mostly sees Android devices. Oh well, not important

Kind of an entitlement thing then? That probably explains it. The upper class vs the workers, the kids born into wealthy families vs those born to poor parents. In my circle of friends and business clients there's a few 1%'ers and quite a few hourly workers, some that even count their pennies. No need to weep for them. Most are pretty happy no matter what smartphone they carry, or even lack of one altogether.

Personally I'd be more embarrassed if I looked down on them simply due to their platform choice. That's a sad commentary IMO.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    gatorguy wrote: »

Kind of an entitlement thing then?

Not exactly. But you're obviously entitled to your opinion.
  • Reply 68 of 75

Not exactly so kinda sorta then? Do you look down on those Android users as not quite smart enough to be iPhone owning managers and the poor and middle class, and particularly their children, should be embarrassed by their possessions or would RogueDog's opinion be more of an outlier rather than the typical view of an iDevice owner?

EDIT: I'll take your sudden silence as an indication that on further reflection it's a view you might personally not be proud of? I've always had a lot of respect for your opinions even if we sometimes disagree, just as I do for the overwhelming majority of regulars here.
  • Reply 69 of 75

Not exactly so kinda sorta then? Do you look down on those Android users as not quite smart enough to be iPhone owning managers and the poor and middle class, and particularly their children, should be embarrassed by their possessions or would RogueDog's opinion be more of an outlier rather than the typical view of an iDevice owner?

EDIT: I'll take your sudden silence as an indication that on further reflection it's a view you might personally not be proud of? I've always had a lot of respect for your opinions even if we sometimes disagree, just as I do for the overwhelming majority of regulars here.

Heavens no. I wouldn’t look down on anyone, for whatever reason others might. But I don’t think I should have to ‘choose between the 2 options’ you present to me. I found RogueDog's opinion to be merely a reflection on what others see, including myself.

There was an article here, subscribing to the fact that iPhone users are better educated than Android users, earning more money, having better jobs and all that. Now I couldn’t find the article so I Googled it (yes, I used Google, but with DDG) First hit:
    http://androidforums.com/lounge/396955-iphone-users-more-educated-than-android-users.html

First post:
    “They asking for it now”

So I thought: “hey, that’s a auto-corrupt, happens everyone. Let me read scroll down:

“Considering that the most popular apps on the Iphone are games, and with Android, it's customs ROM's, programs, and other "techie" stuff. I think they have it backwards.”

Thinking this other poster must have a limited view (as I probably do a well) I thought I ought to read post #3:

“This will confuse them.... I can't stand chianti, frequently pass wind loudly in public, and could put letters after my name if I felt the need to boast”

Hmm. Perhaps I need more than a few posts. Nope:

“Considering that most iphone users are preteen girls, I would have to disagree.”

You get the picture: this is the wrong site to get any insightful info from. Then again, I won’t ever find a useful site on the subject. 2nd hit was a link to “Android's 'weak gravity' means users drift away to iPhone …”. 3rd one: “iOS users spend more money online than Android users; Study ...”

There shouldn’t be any differentiating factor on education or income based on smartphone usage. Yet, there is the ‘matter of what we see around us’.

When I pick up a friends’ kid from (a higher education) school, all I see is kids as well as their parents use an iPhone. When I pick up a friends’ kid from a lower education school the yard is filled with Android users. I say Android, because there aren’t many BB users out there (still, some) and this might be due to costs of the device. But when I look at the phone deals telcos sell the monthly payments (and the resulting total cost) are pretty much alike, so why do they choose Android?

Whatever the reason is, I don’t know, I just see what I see. But since I move in my own circles this obviously is limited and isn’t a reflection of the world. YWMV.

As for your edit: I popped out for a run and just saw your addition. I do this a lot, posting and closing, which indeed isn't helping to maintain a discussion - sorry about this. And here I go again, off to dinner and probably won't sign in for a few hours...
  • Reply 70 of 75
    double post
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Phil, what surprised me was you're giving essentially a high-five to something like this:

"Now, I will say that there is a marked difference in [B]iPhone to android between the hourly workers at lower end retail stores/businesses and the managers at these places. Management are predominantly iPhone. Then maybe half or so of the low paid workers have androids. They NEVER brag about android.[/B]"

"Its amazing how many students have iOS devices at high schools, too. Maybe the reason I don't see many android devises at high schools is because the[B] kids are too embarrassed to be seen with them.[/B] I know I would have been.
    [B]Android is like a stigma - not dissimilar to having to wear sears tough skin jeans instead of Levis back in "79 because your too poor.[/B]"

Agreed that the more you earn the more likely you are to buy an iPhone rather than Android, whicj could be chalked up to a few different reasons. FWIW too income tends to follow the level of education so one begets the other rather than two unconnected metrics.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Agreed that the more you earn the more likely you are to buy an iPhone rather than Android, whicj could be chalked up to a few different reasons. FWIW too income tends to follow the level of education so one begets the other rather than two unconnected metrics.

Some could say that higher educated people buy the iPhone because they're better educated. That they earn more money because of their education is another logical side effect.

I don't know but there does seem to be a pattern, if you will, when looking at the smartphone choice people make.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Just to throw my two cents in there, Gator and Phil: I am from a working-class, hourly wage-earning, "lower-income" family wherein both my wife and I enjoy our IPhones, MacBooks and an iPad we share between the two of us. I would never need to save a couple bucks with settling for an Android device because I am still using a very capable iPhone 4. I guess that sums up one of the most important of the copious number of reasons I choose iOS; the comforting knowledge that investing in an Apple product means that it will remain an effeciently-running, effective and intuitive device for its many years of service. Not that I am upper-class or earn a high salary, necessarily. My iPhone 4 still works like a dream, allowing us the opportunity to purchase a quality iPad this past holiday season instead of having to needlessly upgrade my smartphone.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    ^ post

Thank you for a real world tale on why you use iOS/iPhone/iPad.