Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Monday morning brought two questionable reports about Apple's plans for the future, with one Korean publication speculating that LG has won a contract to supply displays for Apple's still-unannounced "iWatch" and a Chinese website claiming a next-gen 4.7-inch iPhone will be unveiled at WWDC.

LG to manufacture iWatch displays

Seoul, South Korea-based LG is said to have secured an exclusive contract to manufacture 1.52-inch flexible P-OLED displays for Apple's so-called "iWatch." The purported production is said to begin in the second half of 2014, with a goal of producing 2 million displays in the first run.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

The news was originally reported by Korea's Digital Daily, but the article was subsequently pulled from the website. A cached copy was found by G for Games.

Previous iWatch display rumors have focused on AMOLED technology from LG and others, with size predictions ranging from 1.2 inches to 2 inches on the diagonal. Notably absent from the OLED-predicting pack is well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who instead believes the device will leverage existing GF2 touchscreen technology found in the iPod nano.

Using flexible P-OLED displays would allow Apple to create a curved, wrist-hugging device --?similar to patents the company has already been granted -- but would likely increase the product's cost.

iPhone 6 to debut in June with 4.7-inch display

Chinese analyst Sun Changxu told Chinese-language website QQ Tech that she expects production on Apple's next-generation iPhone to ramp up as soon as May in preparation for a debut at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The so-called "iPhone 6" would sport a 4.7-inch, 1136 pixel-by-640 pixel display, with a higher-resolution 5.7-inch "phablet" variant to follow.

Plus
Concept for a larger-screened iPhone, via iMore.

The 4.7-inch screen size has been mentioned in connection with the iPhone 6 before, but the cited resolution does not match previous rumors. DisplaySearch vice president David Hsieh said last October that he expects a 4.7-inch iPhone with a 1280 pixel-by-720 pixel, or 720p, display.

Earlier this month, DisplaySearch updated its predictions. The firm still believes Apple is targeting a 4.7-inch display, but has now shifted to a 1920 pixel-by-1080 pixel "Full HD" resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Just have to wait and see people.... geesh.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Sure, a larger display iPhone could certainly happen but I do wonder about the resolution of the display. The easiest solution is to use the same resolution they currently have so that they SDK and apps don't negatively affect developers and consumers, but that's easier to achieve going down than going up. Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if an iWatch is "flexible" insofar that it can be curved into a static design but I wouldn't expect for the customer to experience this flexibility.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    How to make a bigger screen without making the iPhone bigger?
  • Reply 4 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    acatomic wrote: »

The most important value to consider is how it feels in your hand. With a 4.7" display — if we assume the same aspect ratio — it may be impossible in terms of the width of the phone when holding it in your hand to move to a 0.3" wider display.

• 4.0" with 1.78 aspect ratio = 2.0" wide x 3.5" tall = 6.84 sq in.
    • 4.7" with 1.78 aspect ratio = 2.3" wide x 4.1" tall = 9.44 sq in.

If there is 0.15" on each side of the iPhone it would be just barely and you still need some frame for durability. Apple could also reduce the thickness of the device which can now be spread over the volume of the device with a larger footprint but even that would still likely all result in slightly less usability in using just your thumb whilst in one hand.

That isn't to say these cons outweigh the pros and we've seen Apple weigh all aspects of the device with the iPad 3 by making it much thicker and heavier in order to support the Retina display. With large smartphones becoming the norm (after years of anti-Apple comments of the iPhone being too big) I can see Apple addressing the best way to create a larger iPhone with little impact to the increase in size. It would surely be less than what the iPad 3 and 4 experienced over the iPad 2.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    rogifan wrote: »
    That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.

I'd think it would most likely be slightly larger UI elements, just as the iPad mini is slightly smaller UI elements, not a new UI. There is a window for this to work but it's very narrow, and much narrower scaling up than scaling down. I'm sure Apple has done plenty of prototypes to see which scenario works best so if they launch I am certain they feel it's not going to be ugly or unusual.. which I can't say about all other models from other vendors.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But 'rows and rows of apps' was the 'way to go' for Apple since day one.

• Reply 8 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go.
    All OS evolve over time. However row and columns of app icons isn't a high priority for retro fit in my mind. Many things need to be overhauled in IOS. I would put the interface very low on any list Apple might have.
    Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type.
    Well that is where file system access comes into play. I'm not sure we will ever see a "Finder" like interface in iOS though I'd love to see at least a limited capability.

But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.
    Actually I like my IPad user interface just the way it is. Simple and to the point.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

. . . (after years of anti-Apple comments of the iPhone being too big) . . .

What are you referring to here? 

• Reply 10 of 80
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Am i the only one here who thinks the iPhone 6 sounds terrible? and they should pick a better number

• Reply 11 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

Its a simple answer: Apple

• Reply 12 of 80
    eponymous wrote: »
    What are you referring to here? 

I'm referring to the years of comments since the iPhone was announced up until the time vendors had to use bigger displays to hide the bigger batteries needed to run the first generation LTE chips.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Originally Posted by iMember View Post

they should pick a better number

Yeah, none whatsoever.

• Reply 14 of 80
    wizard69 wrote: »
    All OS evolve over time. However row and columns of app icons isn't a high priority for retro fit in my mind. Many things need to be overhauled in IOS. I would put the interface very low on any list Apple might have.
    Well that is where file system access comes into play. I'm not sure we will ever see a "Finder" like interface in iOS though I'd love to see at least a limited capability.
    Actually I like my IPad user interface just the way it is. Simple and to the point.
    I understand a lot of people feel this way. And I'm certainly not suggesting Apple go the Windows 8 route. I'm not sure what the solution is (guess that's why I'm not a software UI designer!) but rows of icons seems like wasted space. Of course right now I just want Apple to fix the constant Safari crashes.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    imember wrote: »
    Am i the only one here who thinks the iPhone 6 sounds terrible? and they should pick a better number
    They should have done it this year when they announced the 5C. That was the time to get rid of numbers.
  • Reply 16 of 80

The things i don't want about iPhone 2014: number 6, 4.5 inch screen, 1920 x 1280 resolution and 400 ppi without a bionic eye

The things i want about iPhone 2014: better number, 4.7  inch screen, less important (2K resolution, 326 ppi or 400 ppi with a bionic eye),

and very important (replacing the IPS LCD with something that doesn't damage your eyes + samsung will go backrupt).

2K (1920 x 1080) resolution 

• Reply 17 of 80

Well Apple historically uses the same design for two models right? The iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S, so the 6 should have some sort of new design at least.

• Reply 18 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, none whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

They should have done it this year when they announced the 5C. That was the time to get rid of numbers.

Thanx i agree,  but maybe iPhone 8 and then kill the numbers

• Reply 19 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I don't think there will be an iOS 8 this year ( where are the reports of any website being surfed with betas? ). They will lock down on iOS 7, which needs lots of improvements and the OS teams can concentrate on new devices.