Nest's Fadell backtracks on data privacy, will be transparent about future changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So how does one disconnect a Nest from the internet .... .? Oh, I know, change the password for your router image. F%ck you Google.

Did you know--and I'm not making this up--that in order to connect Google Glass to your home wifi, you have to go to a Google-hosted app on their website, enter your SSID and wifi password, in order to generate a QR code that Glass can read off your screen? Are you kidding me? This is a company that knows your IP address, so they know what city you live in, they know your SSID, they have a database of wifi access points because they drive around collecting that information, and now you'll just willingly type your wifi password into some Google web app?

• Reply 22 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    I think any glove would fit any hand for $3.2 billion.
    And people wonder why Apple didn't acquire nest? Um, I don't think ego is allowed at Tim Cook's Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 137

Fadell strikes me as naive for a CEO.

• Reply 24 of 137
    > Returned my Nest thermostat, cancelled the purchase of a second & 2 smoke detectors. The > vendor/seller is not happy.

I don't blame you. If I could return my (2) Nest and (5) Protects I would. I bought them because I believed in Nest. Not Google. I do not want Google in my house!
  • Reply 25 of 137
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

More reason to be Google Free.

Google is now my spam mail (so guess sort of not 100% free, drats).

I liked the gizmo thermostat . . . now not so much.

Start Page* is my search since Nov/Dec at some point.

Mail.com, Yahoo, Apple my email.

Much less ‘ring around the bathtub’ so somethin' good going on.

?* Bettern Yahoo. Close on par to Google: surpasses with absent sense of the crawlies.

• Reply 26 of 137
    You'd have to be an idiot to think that Google won't be tapping into Nest's data. You don't pay $3.2 billion for a company and not tap into each and every corner of that company. I currently own a Nest and I have no problem with Google buying this company. If they want to know when I turn my heat on and when my smoke alarm goes off, more power to them.

I think it's pretty comical to see all the Apple fans disown the Nest over this. I'm about as die hard of an Apple fan as it gets, but I'm not losing sleep over this. My Nest has been leaps and bounds better than what was previously on my wall and it would take Google really screwing up this company for me to give it up. While Google will use Nest for its own gain, I haven't seen any evidence that Google is going to screw it up.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    It doesn't matter what he says. He doesn't own the company anymore and thus can't promise anything. That's what selling the company means. Someone else ultimately calls the shots now as to your data privacy, and while they may delegate authority to Fadell for now, ultimately Nest is now owned by a company that gets 95% of its revenue from looking for your vulnerabilities and selling access to you to advertisers.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I am still at a loss as to why Google fanboys frequent a site called Appleinsiders trying to convince Apple fans that Google is good. You chose your bed. You won't find any of us on a Google site. We don't have to justify our purchases.
  • Reply 29 of 137

If Nest is so eager to protect their customer data, then let a third party hold the data, like the NSA.  Or whatever shill they're hiring to protect the rest of our data they've collected.

• Reply 30 of 137
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Opt in" is fine.

But that too could change... to "opt out" or "no choice."
  • Reply 31 of 137
    I won't be buying one. I think it's a neat product, but I don't trust Google. Sorry, that's not fanboy talking. I think Google has demonstrated ample reason to be wary of giving them access to more of your personal data.
  • Reply 32 of 137
    Fadell's backtracking means that he is lying. Nest will eventually become a gateway for Google to monitor our behavior, our conversations at home so that it can gather data to sell to advertisers - some who are the NSA.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    Apple can unequivocally state that it will not gather data from consumers. This is because its revenue does not depend on gathering data.

Google on the other hand needs to gather data from consumers because that is its product which it sells to advertisers.

Thus anything Nest's Fadell now says is a lie. Eventually, Nest will become a bug in our homes from which Google monitors and gathers data from us - even our conversations are not private to Google.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

… like the NSA.

Why ask them to store it for you? They already have it. Instead of building a fancy device to collect and transmit data, just ask the NSA for it.

(Joking… I think…)

• Reply 35 of 137
    Data privacy?! Yeah right! I'm sure all the freedom-loving Chinese dissidents handed over to the brutal Chinese government by Google without a fight would love to weigh in on this...oh wait...they're being tortured or they're dead now! Nice job, Tony! We all feel much better now that you sold out to Google!
  • Reply 36 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fadell went on to say the Google-Nest partnership is like a "hand-in-glove fit." 

"Hand-in-ass fit" is more like it. Google is the hand, and Nest is the ass.

• Reply 37 of 137
    Nest is done. Google will fold into a Google Home brand within a year - Faddell will leave soon so whatever he promises won;t mean anything when he's gone and it's not named Nest anymore. Of course, Google will drive most of the employees away - after all, how smart could they be if they weren't working for Google already? And since Google doesn't believe in customer service, there will be a giant hole in the market for anyone to step in. Of course, Apple won;t - Apple will simply work with thousands of home automation companies who will now not work with Google who owns their competitor. Basically Google has spent $15 billion in the past 2 years to be more like Apple and is no closer than they were.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Returned my Nest thermostat, cancelled the purchase of a second & 2 smoke detectors. The vendor/seller is not happy.

Thanks for illustrating how ridiculous fanboys (and/or fangirls)can be. image

I live in a condo complex with posted private property. Google street view drove through & photographed 3 sides of my house. I notified them & they did pixelate a license plate, but did not remove the thousands of feet of homes now visible in street view on the internet. Google now has my email address, but I did not give them the address of where I live, not that they don't have that already by 'other means.' Just realized I need to change the password on my router due to the 'inadvertent' capturing of my router & passwords.

• Reply 39 of 137
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I'm glad the UK launch was delayed now, I has been eagerly awaiting the chance to buy the Thermostat.

Picked up a Tado model instead, after extensive research it actually seems to be a better product in many respects, at least for Europe.
  • Reply 40 of 137
    We have already had a case of a fridge sending out spam emails. Now it will be Nest devices.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25780908
    Spam should be kept in a fridge, not sent out by a fridge.