AppleInsider's ads-free iPad app now available on the App Store

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 61
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 212member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    Perhaps they want to hide the embarrassment that Huddler is?

     

    Useless for me, already deleted the App.  There is more entertainment value in the comments than the articles themselves.  Oh well, nice effort I guess.

  • Reply 22 of 61
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,120member

    When the app originally came out I asked for a paid option to remove the ads, I have to admit I was expecting a 99p pay once option rather than 69p a month subscription.

     

    Running ad blocker etc on my Mac I never see ads anyway..... Still I do visit Appleinsider on a daily basis so perhaps I should value the sites service more.

     

    I hate subscriptions though, it's like death by a million small cuts. Can we maybe have a £10 once off life long purchase instead, I bet AI would make more money in the long run this way.

  • Reply 23 of 61
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    Perhaps they want to hide the embarrassment that Huddler is?

     

    Sounds more like it saves bandwidth to only load a certain number at a time. Apple’s YouTube app, for example, did the same thing.

  • Reply 24 of 61
    How to comment?
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post


    It's $2.99 for 3 months, $4.99 for 6 months, and $8.99 for 12 months. This was on the recommendation of Apple's App Store reviewers. We originally submitted to the App Store with a $0.99 per month model, reoccurring. We were asked to change it. So we kind of had to :)



    Hmmm... this is all I see here:

     

    Either case, personally I prefer annual subscription. :)

     

    FWIW, haven't downloaded it yet but will do as soon as I get back home ;)

  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

     

    When the app originally came out I asked for a paid option to remove the ads, I have to admit I was expecting a 99p pay once option rather than 69p a month subscription.

     

    Running ad blocker etc on my Mac I never see ads anyway..... Still I do visit Appleinsider on a daily basis so perhaps I should value the sites service more.

     

    I hate subscriptions though, it's like death by a million small cuts. Can we maybe have a £10 once off life long purchase instead, I bet AI would make more money in the long run this way.




    I also run Ad blocker on my MAC plus WeBlock on my iPad .... so, yes I don't see a single Ads either ... but .... BUT .... a few thousands more of us and there will be no AI! :( Honestly, this is why I am excited about this App and no guilt when I'm done reading / posting!

  • Reply 27 of 61

    Fantastic idea. Can't wait to check it out.

     

    (Hope the same guys that made the decision to go with Huddler aren't the ones making this happen...)

  • Reply 28 of 61
    pdnoble wrote: »
    BTW, how does one add a comment from the app? Am I missing something?
    Nice, but I don't see how to post a comment.
    dcgoo wrote: »
    Nor is there any ability to see ALL comments.  I can see 10 at the most.  What is up with that?
    jahblade wrote: »
    How to comment?

    Doesn't appear to be possible, unless you go to the left hand of the app, select Forums, and search for the article that you wish to comment on..bringing you to the exact same layout of the website ...Huddler. Urgh!
  • Reply 29 of 61
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,679member

    great, how about supplying me with an iPad too? :).

  • Reply 30 of 61
    philboogie wrote: »



    Doesn't appear to be possible, unless you go to the left hand of the app, select Forums, and search for the article that you wish to comment on..bringing you to the exact same layout of the website ...Huddler. Urgh!
    Thanks... Hope there is a fix in the pipe line.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    It would be a better app, If we could post comments easily and not go via forums. I hope this is a quick fix and Appleinsider take this on board quickly and listen to their customers.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

    It's a nice app.  However I have a few issues.

    1. the comments section.  I can't seem to figure out how to read all the comments.  it seems to stop (on this thread) at 10.  Also, I can't seem to find a login to post replies or section to add replies to the comments thread.  Edit: ok, I think the person above my comment here says something about the "forums" section.  Yeah, that's not very intuitive.  Should be more like the website/browser interface.

    2. Subscription vs. Flat Fee.  vs. free with Ads.  Personally, i'm at the point where i just ignore most if not all the adds, as long as they are on the side bar or at the bottom.  That being said, I do tend to buy ad-free apps.  but i'd rather the app be a flat fee over a subscription.  Granted $0.75/mo isn't much, but let me just buy it for $4.99 for life, or give me a "free with Ads" version.

     

    At this point, it's a v1.0 so i'm not going to be too hard on it.  but I just don't see me buying a subscription for something i could easily do on my browser.  And I'd rather see something like the iPhone app, just re-tooled a bit for the iPad (and that one for now is free).  In all intents and purposes that's what this app is but just a bit off hear and there.

  • Reply 33 of 61
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Perhaps they want to hide the embarrassment that Huddler is?</span>

    Sounds more like it saves bandwidth to only load a certain number at a time. Apple’s YouTube app, for example, did the same thing.

    Bandwidth on text? Uhm, ok. On a video sharing website this would make sense, but a 40-post-per-page shouldn't be a problem, save for any photos posted. Still...

    Anyhoo, forget Huddler. Let's focus on content!
  • Reply 34 of 61
    antkm1 wrote: »
    ^ post

    "...we welcome your feedback at [email protected]"
  • Reply 35 of 61
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,459member

     

    Overall I like the app and will be using it.  Massive improvement over the last version too.  It is great and will only get better, if it is continually improved.

  • Reply 36 of 61
    The iPad app looks nice but personally I'd rather have the ads and not have to subscribe to use the app after the free first month.
  • Reply 37 of 61

    C'mon... pay per view.  This is NOT a good idea!

  • Reply 38 of 61
    antkm1 wrote: »
    It's a nice app.  However I have a few issues.
    1. the comments section.  I can't seem to figure out how to read all the comments.  it seems to stop (on this thread) at 10.  Also, I can't seem to find a login to post replies or section to add replies to the comments thread.  Edit: ok, I think the person above my comment here says something about the "forums" section.  Yeah, that's not very intuitive.  Should be more like the website/browser interface.

    I was about to post the same observations re no obvious ability to post comments from the app and comments only scrolling to #10. Also the APPL stock quote should be viewable. I'd suggests the top of the leftmost panels. But a great first app step for a great site. Certainly fairly priced from my perspective. I agree that a yearly rate would be attractive and a smart move.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Originally Posted by Dan Stanton View Post

    C'mon... pay per view.  This is NOT a good idea!

     

    You’re right. Good thing they’re not doing that.

  • Reply 40 of 61
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Really?
Sign In or Register to comment.