AppleInsider's ads-free iPad app now available on the App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61

How about paying to post comments? A one time $5 fee would kill off a lot of those annoying commenters that are only hear to poke the bear.

Just a thought.

• Reply 42 of 61
    The question I ask myself, which site I go to everyday to get my Apple news.... Appleinsider, so they have earned my support.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Indeed "no thanks"...to posts like yours. Really, if you want to up your post count I suggest you give some useful feedback instead of...this. Here's my rating on your post:

and mine on yours:

• Reply 44 of 61
    You're dropping..."[B]ooch[/B]"
  • Reply 45 of 61
    No ios 7 update for the iPhone version?
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) Cool! I like the comment box on the right, pity I can't increase the font size there, but glad I can do that on the articles. I would've like a native iOS design for the thread/comment section, as I find the most useful info in there, not in the articles. Still, nice app. Will buy it after the trial runs out.

2) What's up with not having your own mailserver AI? And above all, why gmail?

3) Nice that you can drag in the article from the right, and after that you can drag in the comments. Would be nice if you you drag in the comments fully, making the article disappear on th left, since you already read that. This way the font size can be increased and you have a full page editor. But it looks like the comments are 'just' a auto copy/paste from the Huddler designed/managed piece of the website. When you want to post a comment it displays the regular HTML from the .com, with all its Huddler, urhm, features.

So while the app is nice, you're still bound to make use of Huddler. And we all know how much we despise that, for a lack of a better term.

hmmmm... missed this! AI, why g-freaking-mail?!!!!!!!

• Reply 47 of 61
    After the recent discovery that AI was adding random links in the middle of the text of a user's post, I thought about what I'd be willing to pay for a forum site where that was not allowed.

Then, this morning, this app was made available.

I downloaded and ran the app for a while --[B][I] it looks nice (with the caveats posted by others). [/I][/B]

However, [B][I]I won't use this app[/I][/B] -- and[B][I] I don't know how AI can address my biggest issue:[/I][/B]

The AI app is a standalone app -- great for surfing AI forums, but clumsy if you want to have multiple sites/forums at your fingertips.

During the week, I have [B][I]10-20 Safari tabs [/I][/B] open to forum sites, brokerage sites, bank and credit card sites, etc. I can easily select any tab with a tap (or tap-drag) and immediately be taken to a new, unrelated, site or forum. On any of the sites, if I see something of interest, I can open it in a new tab -- and peruse it, at will, without affecting the convenience of accessing the other sites.

This is much more elegant and simpler that going into and out of a dedicated app then into and out of Safari -- for the other sites that I regularly monitor.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My AI is pretty ad free anyway thanks to Ad Blocker.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    ulyculyc Posts: 1member
    I like it. I for one is raving after seeing the same app on iPad! Signed up for the free trial and let's see how it goes.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    I'll definitely try this out. $0.99 isn't bad if the experience and quality is improved.

Wanted to thumbs up you, but 'I'm over my limit for rating content. Please try again later.'
  • Reply 51 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I can live with the ads. It’s the trolls I would pay to not see. How about that feature?

• Reply 52 of 61
    Here is some edited feedback which I've emailed to AppleInsider:

I like a lot of the new iPad app. Ideally, it would be my main way to use AppleInsider, but in order for me to pay a subscription, the following points need to be addressed:

The comments attached to each article are tiny. I'd like a nice, big font.

I wish to be able to read all the comments, not just some of them.

I wish to be able to write comments.

I have no desire to wade to the forums to enable the above three points.

I wish to be able to add reputations.

I would like there to be no restrictions on the number of reputations I can add in a day.

I would like to see each person's reputations listed within their comment box.

I would like to be able to block a person when reading the comments.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I can live with the ads. It’s the trolls I would pay to not see. How about that feature?

That would leave just thee and me... and I'm not too sure about me :D
  • Reply 54 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Here is some edited feedback which I've emailed to AppleInsider:

I like a lot of the new iPad app. Ideally, it would be my main way to use AppleInsider, but in order for me to pay a subscription, the following points need to be addressed:

The comments attached to each article are tiny. I'd like a nice, big font.

I wish to be able to read all the comments, not just some of them.

I wish to be able to write comments.

I have no desire to wade to the forums to enable the above three points.

I wish to be able to add reputations.

I would like there to be no restrictions on the number of reputations I can add in a day.

I would like to see each person's reputations listed within their comment box.

I would like to be able to block a person when reading the comments.

I hear you. Don't be surprised when some of your wishes actually become true.
  • Reply 55 of 61

So if I pay I get the news, and if I don't I can still access the forums...am I right?

• Reply 56 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    So if I pay I get the news, and if I don't I can still access the forums...am I right?

Yep, and add Safari extension 'Ad Blocker' and there are no ads on the web site anyway.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    yay! finally!!!
  • Reply 58 of 61
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I have a better suggestion - fix your POS website! You're a technology news site for god's sake, yet you have the absolute worst fk'n website of all websites I read on a daily basis! Incredibly slow to load the site AND the articles! There is absolutely no excuse for this!
  • Reply 59 of 61

Just downloaded it and subscribed. Why? Because AI is like my 1st place to visit in the morning and last one before going to bed .... to read about Apple and their dumb enemies!

Excellent and well-written articles, no doubt.

With that said, guys please update for iOS7. It works fine but the interface is just soooooooooo iOS6! ;)

Other than that, keep up the great job.

• Reply 60 of 61

Good news for all users. :P :D