Nest's Fadell backtracks on data privacy, will be transparent about future changes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    You are really going to equate Apple feeding you iAds to Google's action of unilaterally linking up your Google+ identity with your Gmail account?

Nope. You were commenting on a default opt-in as being unethical, and the company doing so "bastards".
  • Reply 102 of 137
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Wanted to get a Nest to replace my current programmable thermostat. Took pictures of the wiring and only had one more wire (OD?) to figure out before putting in my Nest order. Now that Google bought Nest, I'm sticking with my old fahioned programmable thermostat. Yes, it's clunkier than the Nest and doesn't have as many whiz-bang features, but it works.

This is the 4th(?) article I've read about privacy concerns over the Nest acquisition (here, The Verge, CNN, NBC News), so it isn't just Apple fanpeeps groaning about this purchase.
  • Reply 103 of 137

I always love a reason to hate Google more.

• Reply 104 of 137
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

If you consider your friends to be stalkers because they know things about you, then I don't know what to reply.

I don't think someone who knows my address is a stalker, especially not when they provide me with material benefits for no charge.

My friends don't sniff around my phone or computer. I give them information when I want to. There is no All or Nothing with them.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

My friends don't sniff around my phone or computer. I give them information when I want to. There is no All or Nothing with them.

Sure, but I choose what to share with Google too. I'm fine with location so they can help me get around quickly. I turn off 'search history' and youtube's 'view history'.

Seems relatively analogous.

• Reply 106 of 137
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nope. You were commenting on a default opt-in as being unethical, and the company doing so "bastards".

There are default opt-ins pretty much everywhere you go.  Some are benign others not so benign and still some others clearly crossing the line.  If you're going to assert the absurd notion that all default opt ins are the same then here's where I stop arguing against sophistry.

• Reply 107 of 137
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

I think your point is valid up to an extent. Apple, through its stores, does a really good job of supporting its customers when it comes to hardware products. However, their customer support sucks BIG TIME when it comes to their services. Apple geniuses are no help when Mail or iCloud have issues. I don't pretend that Google's customer support for their services is better. But Google is much better in its deployment of services. Gmail, Google Maps and Google Drive all are superior offerings to Apple counterparts for now.

Google's services have been around far longer so it's only natural that they're more mature. And there's no question that this is Google's area of strength, weakened mainly by 1) disregard for their users' privacy and 2) a blasé attitude towards killing off services may customers depend on when they no longer suit their business strategy.

Back to the quality of services issue, it's interesting to note how much criticism Apple received with their 1.0 Maps launch (melting bridges, etc.,) yet when Google later added similar 3D views they also suffered from the same artifacts yet received little scorn from the tech press.

• Reply 108 of 137

How did you get them to pixelate your plate and ask them to pixelate your house if you did not tell them your address?

• Reply 109 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post

How did you get them to pixelate your plate and ask them to pixelate your house if you did not tell them your address?

When moving through Google Maps Street View, there is a button at the bottom to "report a problem. When you click on that, the image that you are looking at (the car) is contained in the correspondence sent to Google. I did not provide an address, & assume the GPS coordinates in the page/image are captured (IP address, computer system, mac address?).

The approx. 1000' condo driveway is posted, "Private Property - No Trespassing" at each end. The expectation of privacy is just short of a guarded gate. The Google vehicle driver had to disregard & drive past the posted sign & enter the driveway, allowing his/her equipment to record photos of peoples homes & their wifi data, from the PRIVATE DRIVEWAY, as it slowly drove the entire length of the complex. My request was to remove the entire footage recorded from the PRIVATE PROPERTY. Google did not. Most burglars have to case their victims'  properties in person to assess & find any weak points where the can break in....or just cruise the area on Google Maps. I certainly don't want to provide Google patterns of when I am home or away as I no longer trust them to do the right thing.

• Reply 110 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

When moving through Google Maps Street View, there is a button at the bottom to "report a problem. When you click on that, the image that you are looking at (the car) is contained in the correspondence sent to Google. I did not provide an address, & assume the GPS coordinates in the page/image are captured (IP address, computer system, mac address?).

The approx. 1000' condo driveway is posted, "Private Property - No Trespassing" at each end. The expectation of privacy is just short of a guarded gate. The Google vehicle driver had to disregard & drive past the posted sign & enter the driveway, allowing his/her equipment to record photos of peoples homes & their wifi data, from the PRIVATE DRIVEWAY, as it slowly drove the entire length of the complex. My request was to remove the entire footage recorded from the PRIVATE PROPERTY. Google did not. Most burglars have to case their victims'  properties in person to assess & find any weak points where the can break in....or just cruise the area on Google Maps. I certainly don't want to provide Google patterns of when I am home or away as I no longer trust them to do the right thing.

I see. I appreciate the extra info. We are indeed heading into uncharted territory...

• Reply 111 of 137
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

You know, Google if they really wanted to probably already knows when I am home or not. I use their email for my business, I use Google to search for things as well. They can easily see that a majority of my day I am operating between two IP addresses, work and home. Do you know who else can tell if I am home? Anybody who is willing to drive by my house and see if my car is parked there.

Color me crazy, but I'm not worried about if Google knows if I am home or not. As we become more connected with technology throughout our lives, the more this issue will come up. I would easily say I'm a Google and Apple fan. I'm not an Android fan, but I enjoy using Google search, Google Maps, Google Apps for Business, and their other services. Maybe I should be more worried than I am, but for now it's not a huge concern to me.

Wait until Google starts sending holographic advertising images into your living room when you're lounging around, personalized ads that mention what you're wearing and what you had for dinner, and offers to deliver your daughter's favorite ice cream flavor in 15 minutes. Then tell me you're not worried.

• Reply 112 of 137
    Apple will be all over buying holographic living room ads. They'll be cool, too.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Wait until Google starts sending holographic advertising images into your living room when you're lounging around, personalized ads that mention what you're wearing and what you had for dinner, and offers to deliver your daughter's favorite ice cream flavor in 15 minutes. Then tell me you're not worried.

If Google offers to deliver my favorite ice cream, it will because I made the choice to do so. Just like I can opt to unplug my Nest at anytime if I feel Google is taking the company in a direction I don't like.

I do live your creativity though. Your paranoia and creativity make for an interesting glimpse of what the future could be like.

• Reply 114 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Worried? Ice cream in 15 minutes? That sounds more like a pretty nice service to me.

Seriously though, why would this worry you? I mean the whole holographic personal ads thing is a bit ridiculous but the point of advertising is to match you with things you actually want, and Google does a surprisingly impressive job at it.

• Reply 115 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Could you be any more hyperbolic? This whole thread is predicated on the idea that Google sells information to advertisers.

They don't do that. Enough said. This entire thread is subsequently nonsense.

All you have to do is google "google sells information to advertisers"  and you get 556 MILLION results, numerous of which show examples where Google sells your information without your permission to advertisers.

Google itself stated "We’ve found that the more information we can share with advertisers, the more confident they’ll be advertising on Google."

The New York Times reported that Google sells user's endorsements.

The Verge reported "Google will start using your pictur to sell products to friends..."

BGR reported "Google selling user review to advertisers."

Translationmusings reported in 2008: "I don't know about you, but it bothers me that information brokers like Schober and advertisers can buy my information from Google and Gmail."

etc. etc.

This thread is serious.

How do you think Google personalizes its ads so that you are enticed to click?

Google's job is to gather as much data about you, the consumer so that it can sell that data to advertisers so that ads are more effectively targeting you, so that advertisers will pay more for ads on Google than other businesses like Apple who also sell ads.

If Google can put a monitor inside your home it would dearly love to do so.  If it can monitor your speech it would dearly love to do so - particularly if you voluntarily placed it there.

• Reply 116 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    All you have to do is google "google sells information to advertisers"  and you get 556 MILLION results

Search Apple sells information to advertisers. So what does the 700M+ results prove?
  • Reply 117 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Search Apple sells information to advertisers. So what does the 700M+ results prove?

I searched "Google makes car that flies to moon" and got 170 million results!

Seriously though, the poster was just quoting without even checking. For example the 'uses your picture' news is when you recommend something to your friends. It's mostly just FUD.

A poster the other day posted some actually worrying links about Google but after going through them most of them were ridiculously hyperbolic. The idea that Google would just sell the very information that powers their company is silly. They sell the results of computing based on that information. That's not anywhere near as scary as an information broker like most credit card companies.

• Reply 118 of 137
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Is this supposed to be creepy? That you are told a product exists to save you 4% without any personally identifiable information being passed along? I think that's frankly very impressive and amazing. If Google do truly get to the level that they can calculate your heating efficiency and improve it? That's a great thing. Why would it be bad?!

Because who wants targeted advertising in their hallway? That is creepy.

• Reply 119 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

Because who wants targeted advertising in their hallway? That is creepy.

Is it? I mean if it was something constantly making noise or flashing yeah that's annoying, but I wouldn't call it creepy. If it just displayed an icon to indicate there was a notification then it might be annoying but might not, and isn't creepy at all to me. I guess I just don't understand why it would be weird, do you get creeped out when a website has banner ads?

• Reply 120 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »

It's funny, but no one stops to think how junk mail arrives at their home. The selling of information has been going on for decades. It's nothing new. How preapproved credit card offers does one get? My mother turned a certain age, and all of a sudden there were AARP applications mailed to her. Banks sell information, insurance companies sell information, the government, so on and so forth.