Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88

Since most smart phone brands use the iPhone as the benchmark they tend to market how their phone's 'specs' are better than the current iPhone. The truth is that the overall experience with the device is what counts but there are plenty of spec geeks that believe bigger numbers are simply better (of course that is not always a bad thing).

Next is consumer demand and there is a strong demand for large screen smart phones. Apple has no choice but to offer iPhone's to fulfill this demand or it is money left on the table. I have a feeling that Apple will redesign the iP6 and would be sweet if Apple offers a 5" screen with tiny bottom/top bezels that integrate the home button and phone speaker into the touch screen to make the entire front of the phone one big screen. I know this is tricky with Touch ID but its Apple, they can do it! :) This will also further differentiate iPhones from the Android clones.

• Reply 42 of 88
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

Apple is still selling the 4s as its "cheaper model" even though the 5c was created expressly for that purpose. 

Why? because they STILL have a surplus of parts or buying commitments for 3.5" touch screens that only fit in the 4s.

The people who claim that 5c was "created expressly" to take on the slot that the 4s occupies are not from Apple.  No one from Apple ever said or hinted this.

Apple products are built on a very tight inventory schedule, it's called Just-in-Time or kanban manufacturing.  For them to have a surplus of parts is sooooo unlikely as to be ridiculous.  Tim Cook's head would explode if he found out they had so much surplus parts left over as to justify continued production.

• Reply 43 of 88
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I'm still curious as to why many people here want higher resolution screens with higher pixel densities. The higher the number, the more battery power required. And it wouldn't make a noticeable difference because you already can't see the pixels...
  • Reply 44 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    fulldecent wrote: »
    Apple is still selling the 4s as its "cheaper model" even though the 5c was created expressly for that purpose. 
    Why? because they STILL have a surplus of parts or buying commitments for 3.5" touch screens that only fit in the 4s.
    Now that they finally have 4" in two iPhone models and all iPod touches, do you think they will leapfrog that and release a 5" model this fast?

I doubt this is true. If a company has surplus parts enough for 10 MM iPhones, it has some problems. Besides, Apple doesn't get all the parts at once. It also can cut orders (remember all those negative hit pieces).
  • Reply 45 of 88
    I wouldn't imagine that they would drop the iPhone 5 size for a new model exclusively released in a new size. The iPhone 5 screen is pretty much as big as these devices can be for comfortable one-handed use (and even then, the iPhone 5 is pushing boundaries). It is clear that there is an audience for a larger screen, but there is also a very large audience for a phone which is comfortably operated with one hand.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    Quote:

One of the most respected Apple analysts, Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities....

Gosh, this guy keeps getting more and more esteemed with every prediction. In another month or two, I 'spect he'll be described by AI as a "Sainted analyst" or something.

• Reply 47 of 88
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

Why? 

Because the 5c was not expressly created for that purpose. Question: answered.

With so many new device sizes and models to support, why not instead invest my time adding Android support?

Nice false concern. Get out.

• Reply 48 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Can't wait for the Apple stans to defend this statement, and this statement alone: "Apple is copying Samsung's screen size."

If there is such a thing as "copying a phone screen size" then (assuming Apple releases an iPhone with a screen the same size as Samsung) Apple will be doing it. Just like if there is such a thing as "copying making a phone using metal instead of plastic" then (assuming Samsung releases a phone using metal instead of plastic) Samsung will be doing it.

• Reply 49 of 88
    a third screen size in two years? Steve is rolling in his grave...
    I still want a smaller screen, mobile means small and as such the smaller the better!
  • Reply 50 of 88

Another one?!!!

• Reply 51 of 88
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    mknopp wrote: »
    Personally, after using friend's Galaxy phones I have to say that 5" is the largest phone that I can comfortably use. The 4.8" S3 was pretty much perfect feeling in my hand, but the 5" S4 wasn't bad. So, I hope that this is correct.
    My guess is we will get a 4.8 inch screen and apple will do an edge to edge display and keep the devise pretty close to its current size.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

a third screen size in two years? Steve is rolling in his grave...

I still want a smaller screen, mobile means small and as such the smaller the better!

I used to have a Siemens phone which was tiny. I thought it was brilliant as I could put it in any pocket and at work carry it around in my shirt pocket. It was VERY mobile. But it was awkward to use. So much so that I traded it in for something much less 'cutting edge'. But an iPhone is not a phone alone and as its use changes so does the requirements in terms of size. Interestingly giant sized laptops have virtually disappeared but phones are getting larger. 

• Reply 53 of 88
    Analysts don't have to be right, they just have to keep making noise, or else people will stop paying attention to them.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    timbit wrote: »
    I'm still curious as to why many people here want higher resolution screens with higher pixel densities. The higher the number, the more battery power required. And it wouldn't make a noticeable difference because you already can't see the pixels...

Bragging rights. It's what Android was built on.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Expects" =/= knows.

I thought it was "he believes" that locked it down.

Who knows, maybe it was a diary entry thus = fact.  Right Hoboken Mayor?

/

/

• Reply 56 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I don't think they will make the iPhone screen any bigger. As an article on this site pointed out recently, extreme screen sizes like that are not something most people want, more of a desperate attempt by Samsung to get *some* of the high end market that Apple dominates. The iPod Touch could get a bigger screen though, since a lot of people buy them for their kids for gaming.

• Reply 57 of 88
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregrochedc View Post

As long as it fits in my pocket and I can type with one hand (finger... thumb). I don't want to carry a bag just for my phone!

^Here this^: were I happy with that I'd go with an LTE iPad retina mini...

• Reply 58 of 88
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

My guess is we will get a 4.8 inch screen and apple will do an edge to edge display and keep the devise pretty close to its current size.

That would be nice and probably easier with a lighter/smaller device than an iPad which does need to be "gripped" somewhat.

• Reply 59 of 88
    rot'napple wrote: »
    I thought it was "he believes" that locked it down.

Analysts also believe that Bigfoot is working for the UFO people.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Yeah that is a valid point that they may not have had anything during their design phase, but there were mobile devices that had the around the same time that were coming out as well. Just do not see the point for the second stream at the point they did it, but if the can offset the extra device drain then it really does not matter.