Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    timbit wrote: »
    I'm still curious as to why many people here want higher resolution screens with higher pixel densities. The higher the number, the more battery power required. And it wouldn't make a noticeable difference because you already can't see the pixels...

The higher resolution would be required for a 4.8" display. The current Retina resolution would fall to 272 ppi if it were stretched over 4.8".

But even the current Retina display is noticeably less sharp than the 1080p displays on the market. For example, the Moto X has a pixel density of about 316 ppi, which is almost identical to the 326 of the iPhone. It's perfectly satisfactory for most people, but when you hold it side by side with the HTC One, which has the same size screen but a 1080p resolution (468 ppi), the difference is quite clear.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    emesemes Posts: 239member

If they do make the screen bigger, I wonder if they'll add more megapixels to the camera so the pictures still fit

• Reply 63 of 88
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

If they do make the screen bigger, I wonder if they'll add more megapixels to the camera so the pictures still fit

Wh… what?

• Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wh… what?

If they make the screen larger it'll probably mean more pixels, which means an 8.7 megapixel photo won't take up the same amount of the screen

It's called scaling, a very basic principle

• Reply 65 of 88
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

If they make the screen larger it'll probably mean more pixels, which means an 8.7 megapixel photo won't take up the same amount of the screen

An 8.7 megapixel image is ludicrously larger than the iPhone’s screen resolution.

• Reply 66 of 88
    jason98 wrote: »
    Please not so ugly as in the mockup

Apple is not like samsung
  • Reply 67 of 88

I hope this is the year Apple finally decides to build two different sizes of iPhone. Different parts of the market have different priorities and choice is good. Yes it would complicate the product line and supply chain, but every other full-featured Apple device with a built-in display comes in two sizes (iPad, iMac, MBAir, MBPro) and when it comes to something handheld one size cannot fit all.

They could lose a lot of customers if the only new iPhone is too big. A full-powered small one must remain in the lineup regardless of what else they do.

• Reply 68 of 88
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote (from the article):

....the device will not exceed 5 inches due to Apple's "unwavering principle of one hand use."

What, people's hands have gotten bigger since 2007 (when the original was pointed described as the right size for one-handed use)...??

• Reply 69 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

An 8.7 megapixel image is ludicrously larger than the iPhone’s screen resolution.

Alright then. My mistake.

Still, with a larger device there'll be room for a much larger sensor, so I'm expecting major camera upgrades

• Reply 70 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Analysts also believe that Bigfoot is working for the UFO people.

If UFOs had people then they wouldn't be UFOs. :lol:
  • Reply 71 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    emes wrote: »

Still, with a larger device there'll be room for a much larger sensor, so I'm expecting major camera upgrades

While you're finally making some sense that's not necessarily true. The iPad/mini are huge and the camera is the same as the iPhone.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    emes wrote: »

Probably not in MPs. In reality, unless you're making poster prints, 5MP is good.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While you're finally making some sense that's not necessarily true. The iPad/mini are huge and the camera is the same as the iPhone.

Umm...thanks? But people aren't taking that many pictures with their iPads.

• Reply 74 of 88

8.7 megapixels is above the resolution of Ultra HD (consumer 4K)
  • Reply 75 of 88

I think there will be a 4.8 inch (or close) flagship iPhone 6. I also believe there will be 6C that will feature a 4 inch screen but will have nearly the same internals, and perhaps a plastic case. The differentiation will be more like what the retina iPad mini is to the iPad Air. The 5S will be discontinued. The 5C will remain.

4.8 inch, metal iPhone 6, A8      $199

4 inch, plastic iPhone 6C, A8       $99 (could retain the 5S internals, A7 etc., but doubt it)

4 inch, plastic iPhone 5C, A6         $0

• Reply 76 of 88
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    2014 is warming up to be the year I upgrade both my iPad and iPhone.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

8.7 megapixels is above the resolution of Ultra HD (consumer 4K)

This piece of data, out of context, PROVES that the next iPhone will have a 4K display.

• Reply 78 of 88
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Also on tap this year, according to Arcuri, is a 13-inch iPad that he expects to "blur the lines between tablets and PCs." The analyst expects that the larger iPad model would likely debut in late 2014.

Remember that greedy Texas engineer that sued Apple for making iPhone/iPad?  The iPhone is not a PC.  The iPad is not a phone.  What he needs to sue is Samsung and many Android phablet makers. 

• Reply 79 of 88
    bigpics wrote: »
    What, people's hands have gotten bigger since 2007 (when the original was pointed described as the right size for one-handed use)...??

No, it was realized that a much larger screen could be comfortably used with one hand, especially when the bezel around the screen was minimized.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    it's about time for a larger screen iPhone