Apple seeds OS X Server 3.1 Preview to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Less than one week after Apple released the second OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 beta, the company on Tuesday issued OS X Server 3.1 Preview to developers for testing, with changes focusing on the software's Profile Manager.

Server 3.1

According to people familiar with OS X Server 3.1 Preview build 13S4076f, the server software addresses a Profile Manager problem in which syntax errors appeared in migration SQL.

There are two known issues with the current build. In Profile Manager, the "+" and "-" buttons within the payload editor do not add or remove a payload when administering from an iPad, while bot creation may skip from Step 2 to Step 4 in the Xcode Server Web UI. For the latter, Apple suggests restarting Safari as a workaround.

In order to test the software, users must be running the recently released OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 beta maintenance update on their Mac. With that update, Apple is asking developers to again focus on Mail, which has seen a number of problems since it launched with Mavericks last October.

Developers can download the latest OS X Server 3.1 Preview via Software Update or Apple's developer portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I would love to see Apple release a server with GUI tools for something useful, ala PostgreSQL 9.3.x.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Well, at least they fixed the VPN. Took them long enough.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I wish they'd just update Workgroup Manager for the Macs. Its quite nice and easy to use, just dated. I know they updated it to work with 10.9, but I mean an overhaul of it. I've never been a fan of Profile Manager. I realize its for iOS devices as well, but I've never had anything good come out of Profile Manager and Apple Support always just says to wipe the server and start over...like thats really possible!!!

Apple Enterprise in general needs an overhaul. They seriously need an overhaul of Apple Remote Desktop as well. That app is so buggy it isn't funny. Its absolutely awesome when it works though. 

• Reply 4 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I would love to see Apple release a server with GUI tools for something useful, ala PostgreSQL 9.3.x.

I am always left feeling Apple's Server is mainly intended for in house LAN use, ideal for Apple devices and data sharing, but anything to do with full blown web services for the internet at large feels is an after thought. I'd love something like a cPanel implementation.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    OSX Server, one of the true bags of hurt from Apple...