Apple releases iTunes update with Wish List, language enhancements

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released iTunes version 11.1.4, a minor update that brings enhanced Wish List viewing and language additions to the company's ubiquitous media management, purchasing and playback software.

iTunes

According to the release notes, the latest version of iTunes allows users to view their store Wish List while browsing their library. In addition, language support for Arabic and Hebrew come built in.

Aside from the above, regular stability improvements and bug fixes are included in the point update.

Apple's last iTunes update came in November of last year when the company pushed out a bug fixes for the integrated software equalizer and viewing large media libraries.

iTunes 11.1.4 can be downloaded via the Mac App Store's Update section or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Did the Wish List finally get updated to sync across iTunes and Apple TV?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'd rather see iTunes make use of multiple cores instead of adding stuff but I guess that's too much to ask.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I would rather see the transfer of purchased content across Apple IDs facility become available...
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I think Wish Lists sound useful, and that's a positive for many, but in this interconnected world of globalisation and international travel and cross border working I'd also like to see progress on being able to select English as a language for Apple Stores in non-English speaking countries, and perhaps even cross border purchasing. If Amazon can do it, why can't Apple?

If you think this is a small number of people, just looking at the UK figures, there are 2.2 million Brits living in non-English speaking countries of the European Union. Unless they 'cheat' the system they are prevented from using English to make purchases. That's not right.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    I would rather see the transfer of purchased content across Apple IDs facility become available...

Indeed...or at least the possibility to apply updates for multiple IDs without having to change stores...I still can't understand how stupidly restrictive Apple can be on this.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Resume playback is a must for iTunes to resume listening long song playlists after quitting iTunes or rebooting!
  • Reply 7 of 30

Can we please get instant background downloading of apps? You know…like in iOS 7.

• Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

That will require a full re-write to leverage SMP to scale up, and fully and OpenCL.

Keep in mind that LLVM/Clang does not leverage OpenMP for Symmetric Multiprocessing. Grand Central Dispatch is not OpenMP.

I would prefer Apple fully extend GCD to LLVM/Clang to expand its footprint and maturity. I would prefer working in GCD on non-Darwin platforms to grow it's rate than OpenMP or OpenMPI.

• Reply 9 of 30
    Bring back the ability to open a playlist or the store in a new window!!!
  • Reply 10 of 30
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd rather see iTunes make use of multiple cores instead of adding stuff but I guess that's too much to ask.

iTunes is already multi-core and multi-threaded and 64-bit.  Importing CDs already takes advantage of MMX/SSE2 for faster encoding performance.  I encoded a CD and watched activity monitor.  All 4 cores showed activity, but iTunes does not appear to max out the CPU cores because each core only maxed out at 32% and up to 30 threads.  When the encoding was completed, CPU usage returned to 0-1%.  So they coded iTunes not to take the entire Mac hostage by maxing out the CPU cores.  It doesn't need to be like Handbrake in which you want each CPU core to utilize 100% to transcode a movie at high speed.

• Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Unbeliever2 View Post

Bring back the ability to open a playlist or the store in a new window!!!

Yep, one feature that is sorely missed!  iTunes 11 blows, but unfortunately I need it to sync with iOS 7.  Prior to that, I was sticking with 10.7 for as long as possible.  Also, bring back the dark background for video.  All this white is blinding to the eyes.

• Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Can we please get instant background downloading of apps? You know…like in iOS 7.

The first feature I disabled in iOS 7.  All that did was drain the battery with constant updates.  If you have a lot of apps, which are receiving updates almost daily, it will drain your battery quickly.  I will get updates when I tell iTunes and iOS to get updates…I don't want constant downloads going on in the background if I am doing something else on my network.  Apple doesn't read AppleInsider.  Use the feedback feature at Apple.com.

• Reply 13 of 30
    I would like to see support for multiple/split libraries...allowing me to move my movies and TV Shows to a NAS but keep music on the internal hardrive.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by @tiger View Post

I would like to see support for multiple/split libraries...allowing me to move my movies and TV Shows to a NAS but keep music on the internal hardrive.

Hold down Option when clicking on iTunes Dock icon.

• Reply 15 of 30
    Please explain more in detail, or provide a url where this is explained. Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

I think Wish Lists sound useful, and that's a positive for many, but in this interconnected world of globalisation and international travel and cross border working I'd also like to see progress on being able to select English as a language for Apple Stores in non-English speaking countries, and perhaps even cross border purchasing. If Amazon can do it, why can't Apple?

If you think this is a small number of people, just looking at the UK figures, there are 2.2 million Brits living in non-English speaking countries of the European Union. Unless they 'cheat' the system they are prevented from using English to make purchases. That's not right.

I agree on the language selection. That is kind of silly that you can't choose your language based on your tongue instead of your address.

The cross border purchasing would not be so easy, due to legal stuff with the music industry. And are you sure about Amazon? As far as I know, I can't buy anything from Amazon.com and ship it to Canada. I have to use Amazon.ca if I want to ship here. Don't get me started on Netflix. (yes I know the hacks.)

• Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I agree on the language selection. That is kind of silly that you can't choose your language based on your tongue instead of your address.

The cross border purchasing would not be so easy, due to legal stuff with the music industry. And are you sure about Amazon? As far as I know, I can't buy anything from Amazon.com and ship it to Canada. I have to use Amazon.ca if I want to ship here. 

Shame about you not being able to order from the US, but you can console yourself with the fact that you can buy the same meds as they have for less. So far as I know the music industry doesn't control Apps too... and some developers place language specific apps on the app store of each country which means some apps really are impossible to use for me.

Books though are a big problem. I can order books in English from amazon.co.uk and also get other items from amazon.de to send to Switzerland. But the Apple Bookstore will not let me see any books in English. So, if I were a foreigner trying to buy a book to practice my English with and I was not in an English language country I would have to buy through Amazon.

• Reply 18 of 30

I can't see the Wish List feature anywhere except in the iTunes Store.

iTunes hung out the Beach Ball the first time I synced an iPod Touch after updating to 11.1.4 and had to Force Quit...

• Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

The cross border purchasing would not be so easy, due to legal stuff with the music industry. And are you sure about Amazon? As far as I know, I can't buy anything from Amazon.com and ship it to Canada. I have to use Amazon.ca if I want to ship here. Don't get me started on Netflix. (yes I know the hacks.)

As an American in Spain, I can tell you that if not for my original American accounts, it would be a real pain to get certain content in English (or from home). Even if you have your Mac set up to English, because of the IP, you'll be served the stores and content in Spanish, most of which you cannot change (including the iTunes store). An Xbox will be in English, but the moment you connect to the Xbox store it will be Spanish only with no language options. The Playstation will only allow Spanish and everything in Spanish. It's ridiculous to the extent that a friend of mine, having just moved here, wanted to learn Spanish and connected to Rosetta Stone in order to buy their Spanish program, but couldn't because the site was completely in Spanish with no possibility of a language change. How can he buy the program to learn the language if he can't understand the website? So much for the "Global Village" indeed.

Apple is actually not bad in their handling of all this for expats, as long as you still have a bank account in your original country. The problem comes up when you no longer have a British or American bank account and are forced to use a local bank account. Here you're forced to use and purchase the Spanish content and dubbed content (the horror). Apps thankfully are mostly multi-lingual (except for Microsoft software, but that's not a bug, it's a feature). Something should be done about this, but too many companies are making this impossible (especially content providers).

Amazon though, is the real hero of this story. I order things from AmazonUSA, AmazonUK, Amazon Spain, Amazon France, Germany, etc. and Amazon ships it here. Not everything is available for shipping of course, but most content is, and if you had a Kindle account in the UK or US before you moved, you can still buy from that store using your new, local credit card. Sometimes Amazon won't ship, but a marketplace provider will. It's something to look at for those that need it. Prime only works locally though, and they've eliminated free shipping from the UK to Spain to try to move residents to the Spanish Amazon. Amazon can be (and has been) a real life saver, especially if you live in a remote area or island that doesn't have big shops like El Corte Inglés, MediaMrkt, etc. apart from the fact that it's much, much cheaper. 

As for live TV, it's gotten better in that some local channels offer language selection to view in the original language even on the free TDT over the air channels, though you still have to suffer through the absurdly long and horrible advert time (and it's still limited). Also, if you can afford it, Canal+ offers most everything in original language through satellite, including all the top U.S. and UK shows. The hottest shows are generally shown only a couple of days to a week after the U.S. airing, so not too bad.

Sorry, I kind of got stuck on the subject. It's something that's bothered me immensely for years.

• Reply 20 of 30

Why have no journalists reported on the massive problems with installing iTunes 11.1.4 on Windows? Every install I've seen has failed and somehow removes a .DLL file, making iTunes unable to open. There's plenty of discussion boards on this in the apple forums. Do AI journalists not use Windows PCs? 

https://discussions.apple.com/community/itunes/itunes_for_windows

I called Apple last night 4 hours after the update dropped, and they acted like they didn't know anything about the problems, that are being discussed on their own website. Windows users are getting the shaft from Apple support. Some users are being told that since they aren't on a Mac, that support can't help them, even though the problem is with Apple's installer, and not Windows OS.  That's a story worth risking access to the next Apple press event to write about.