WSJ: Apple to launch two larger iPhones this year, scrap iPhone 5c

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Apple will launch two new iPhone models with larger displays later this year, including one greater than 5 inches, and the company will subsequently discontinue the plastic-backed, mid-range iPhone 5c, according to unnamed sources who spoke with The Wall Street Journal.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The alleged details on Apple's 2014 smartphone plans include a model with a screen larger than 4.5 inches, while a jumbo-sized iPhone will measure greater than 5 inches diagonally, according to Journal reporters Lorraine Luk, Eva Dou and Daisuke Wakabayashi. Both new models are expected to have designs akin to the iPhone 5s, while the plastic exterior used on the iPhone 5c will be discontinued, the report claimed.

Both new larger iPhones are expected to debut in the second half of 2014, with the model in the 4.5-inch range already being prepared for mass production. The larger 5-inch model is said to be in "preliminary development," however.

The report did not give any indication as to whether Apple plans to make a new flagship handset with a 4-inch display. Apple moved to a taller 4-inch screen with the launch of the iPhone 5 in 2012, and has not produced new handsets with the previous screen size of 3.5 inches.

The report comes a day after analyst Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company issued a note to investors claiming that Apple has "locked down" the design of a new iPhone with a larger 4.8-inch display. He also expects Apple's next flagship handset, unofficially known as the "iPhone 6," to include speedy 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

As for the iPhone 5c, Apple's plastic-backed, mid-range handset has been the subject of many rumors that have claimed the smartphone has sold below the company's internal expectations. However, Apple does not break down sales of the iPhone on a model-by-model basis, leaving actual sales of the iPhone 5c to customers unknown.

Originally, market watchers had hoped that Apple would price the iPhone 5c aggressively, allowing the company to combat low-end devices running Google's Android platform, which are particularly popular in booming emerging markets such as China, India and Brazil. But Apple instead positioned the colorful handset as a replacement for last year's iPhone 5, selling the device starting at $100 with a new two-year service agreement, or $550 without a contract subsidy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 228
    unnamed sources ?
    What a joke .
  • Reply 2 of 228
    Waiting to grab one! I hate small screen :p
  • Reply 3 of 228

No.

• Reply 4 of 228

I expect one larger-sized phone (e.g., 4.8 inch). And the 5S and 5C to continue. The former as the high-end smaller form factor, and the latter as the lower-end (replacement for the 4S). The larger form factor phone will likely have 128GB (finally).

No way that Apple is getting rid of the 5C or introducing two larger phones.

• Reply 5 of 228
    Apple sells more 5c's those most other companies sell of all their phones combined. These Wall Street clowns are clueless as usual.
  • Reply 6 of 228
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    It's totally laughable - the almost seeming random guesswork of these so-called analysts. I'd be totally surprised if they ditched the 5c, it just doesn't seem like something that would ever happen - it would be basically admitting that it's a failure (which I believe it is not). Where the hell do they get their information?
  • Reply 7 of 228
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    4.8 inches is OK as long as they figure out a way to make it easy to use with one hand.
    This can be achieved either by hardware design, where the new device is actually not much taller and larger than the current iPhone 5/5S design (reduce the bezels) or software design where the controls of apps can be customized to appear either at the left or the right for left handed or right handed use respectively.

If one handed use is a possibility, then my iPhone 5 will be upgraded later this year.

But all this is pure speculation from Analysts who can not analyze.
    Almost everyone missed last year's breakthroughs, like 64 bit, motion co-processor, touch ID and most actually focused on little things like Gold color and cheaper iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 228
    Those who produce iPhone accessories like joypads will have to invent something to deal with different form factors of Apple devices.
  • Reply 9 of 228
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I expect one larger-sized phone (e.g., 4.8 inch). And the 5S and 5C to continue. The former as the high-end smaller form factor, and the latter as the lower-end (replacement for the 4S). The larger form factor phone will likely have 128GB (finally).

No way that Apple is getting rid of the 5C or introducing two larger phones.
    I agree. I can't see Apple getting rid of the 5C they'll just make it the budget model. As far as a screen size larger than 5", what data is there that these devices are selling? Most tech sites I go to laugh at these humongous phablets. Can't see Apple jumping on that bandwagon.
  • Reply 10 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Apple sells more 5c's those most other companies sell of all their phones combined. These Wall Street clowns are clueless as usual.

I am afraid you are the clueless one. Apple wants to optimize their product line, since producing a device takes a lot of resources (including mindshare of the management), and if they think that their line would improve if they scrap the 5c and introduce a larger handset, then they will.

As for the Wall Street "clowns", the Wall Street Journal is probably the most respected newspaper in the world, so they would not say this unless their sources were quite reliable. In any case, just because the Wall Street people make more money than you do, does not mean that they are worse human beings, or less smart than you -- most likely the opposite.

• Reply 11 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bao Babus View Post

Those who produce iPhone accessories like joypads will have to invent something to deal with different form factors of Apple devices.

And make a lot more money. It is SO sad.

• Reply 12 of 228
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey AI, can you post just one article about this bullshit and then delete it.

There will be no 5+" iPhone this year or ever.
  • Reply 13 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

4.8 inches is OK as long as they figure out a way to make it easy to use with one hand.

This can be achieved either by hardware design, where the new device is actually not much taller and larger than the current iPhone 5/5S design (reduce the bezels) or software design where the controls of apps can be customized to appear either at the left or the right for left handed or right handed use respectively.

If one handed use is a possibility, then my iPhone 5 will be upgraded later this year.

But all this is pure speculation from Analysts who can not analyze.

Almost everyone missed last year's breakthroughs, like 64 bit, motion co-processor, touch ID and most actually focused on little things like Gold color and cheaper iPhone.

Last year's "breakthroughs" make very little difference to the user (yes, I speak from experience), though I am sure a year or two from now they will be a lot more significant. A large screen changes (for better or worse, depending on who you talk to) the user experience A LOT, which is why people care more. And the Analysts are apparently much better at analysis than you are.

• Reply 14 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

unnamed sources ?

What a joke .

Everyone and their dog laughed at me when I said that the 5C would be a flop. It WAS a flop.

Perhaps Apple should name it iPhone IIvx now. 

• Reply 15 of 228
    The un-portable, battery-wasting, two-handed, gadget-fan iPhone is taking too long! Five inches is too small! Apple needs to leapfrog the competition and just sell an iPad mini sized iPhone! If it fits in your jeans, it's a failure. /s
  • Reply 16 of 228
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I say BS. I suspect Apple will increase the screen size, but there will only be one size. I also doubt Apple will get rid of the 5C.
  • Reply 16 of 228
    [QUOTE]As for the iPhone 5c, Apple's plastic-backed, mid-range handset has been the subject of many rumors that have claimed the smartphone has sold below the company's internal expectations. However, Apple does not break down sales of the iPhone on a model-by-model basis, leaving actual sales of the iPhone 5c to customers unknown.[/QUOTE]

The only failure on Apple's part was to underestimate their customer's DEMAND for the very best tech in a perfectly designed phone that money... any amount of it... can buy.

The 5c is better tech-wise than the 5. Going backwards to plastic... no matter how polycarbonated and "unapologetic" it is... was not a good idea. Sir Jony needed to work a little longer and come up with a less expensive way to manufacture an "aluminium" case... hate to say it... but I do like hearing him say aluminium every time.... :smokey:
  • Reply 18 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hey AI, can you post just one article about this bullshit and then delete it.

There will be no 5+" iPhone this year or ever.

Tim Cook, is that you?

• Reply 19 of 228
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    "scrap" the iphone 5c?

"subsequently discontinue the plastic-backed, mid-range iPhone 5c"?

kind of like they "scrap" and "subsequently discontinue" almost every model about a year after it's introduced so they can introduce a newer model? i fully expect the 5S to get "scrapped" in about 6-8 months, too.

to quote lisa simpson
    [QUOTE]You do this every year! We are used to it![/QUOTE]
  • Reply 20 of 228
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Everyone and their dog laughed at me when I said that the 5C would be a flop. It WAS a flop.

The 5c is still selling, so we're still laughing. You don't get to use a WSJ rumor as proof of anything.