Update may bring games, controller support to Apple TV this spring

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

If you not a hard core gamer and do not care if your frame rate is 90+ (which the human eye can not detect) what would you rather have for a game system, a huge ugly xbox or playstate or this little thing sitting there which does movies and music really well and op you could probable save and sync you game states across your computer, ipad and iphone and play online with all your friend from any of your preferred iOS devices.

• Reply 22 of 66
    It will probably have a hardware decoder for Ultra HD and 4K (h.265 & ProRess), so 4K content can be streamed from iTunes, Netflix, etc. It will also have a faster performing APU(A7, why not) and latest Wireless to up AirPlays capabilities. I think the main processing engines for gaming will remain in the handhelds going through an enhanced Airplay with upscaling for 4K...
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

If you not a hard core gamer and do not care if your frame rate is 90+ (which the human eye can not detect) what would you rather have for a game system, a huge ugly xbox or play state or this little thing sitting there which does movies and music really well

That’s the thing. We shouldn’t be rooting for the destruction of quality of everything.

Yes, the Xbox is huge, loud, bulky, and operates solely under the most evil principle ever devised. But it’s designed for… Okay, it’s not, but it pretends to be designed to present the most technically advanced graphics, etc. available to gaming today.

Convenience shouldn’t trump the push for greater quality.

It did with cameras, but we can stop it here.

• Reply 24 of 66

Overdue.  

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 25 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

AppleTV and Roku are just a blip compared to the number of people using a PS, Xbox, or Wii to watch Netflix. I think improvements to AppleTV are a great idea and it could become a good casual gaming device in addition to streaming video content. I am very content with my new PS4 as I was with my old PS3 that has now been moved to a less watched TV in another room primarily for Netflix and as a Plexmedia server. I think Apple is missing out on a lot of potential customers by not offering an iTunes like app for PS4 at least. There are plenty of reasons why Apple would not likely work with Microsoft to offer an app on the Xbox but I think Sony and Nintendo would be good partners for iTunes content. I don't know of anyone that has an AppleTV or a Roku if they already have a game console since it can do all the same things in addition to playing games and much more. So that means there are a lot of potential new customers for iTunes content that are now stuck with Amazon and a few more as their only choice for content if they use a gaming console. Apple is losing out on a lot of potential customers. It is really no different than offering iTunes on Windows PCs. 

• Reply 26 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gwmac wrote: »
    AppleTV and Roku are just a blip compared to the number of people using a PS, Xbox, or Wii to watch Netflix. I think improvements to AppleTV are a great idea and it could become a good casual gaming device in addition to streaming video content. I am very content with my new PS4 as I was with my old PS3 that has now been moved to a less watched TV in another room primarily for Netflix and as a Plexmedia server. I think Apple is missing out on a lot of potential customers by not offering an iTunes like app for PS4 at least. There are plenty of reasons why Apple would not likely work with Microsoft to offer an app on the Xbox but I think Sony and Nintendo would be good partners for iTunes content. I don't know of anyone that has an AppleTV or a Roku if they already have a game console since it can do all the same things in addition to playing games and much more. So that means there are a lot of potential new customers for iTunes content that are now stuck with Amazon and a few more as their only choice for content if they use a gaming console. Apple is losing out on a lot of potential customers. It is really no different than offering iTunes on Windows PCs. 

There are far more iPhones sold per quarter than all of these put together, users just need to be convinced that their existing games will run. If Apple is smart the App Store on the TV will run already bought iPhone games. Out of the box.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There are far more iPhones sold per quarter than all of these put together, users just need to be convinced that their existing games will run. If Apple is smart the App Store on the TV will run already bought iPhone games. Out of the box.

Who cares how many iPhones are sold? We are comparing the number of AppleTV's and Rokus sold vs the combined number of game consoles. How are you going to get iTunes content on your TV easily? How would you play those iOS games without an AppleTV? Why would you want to buy an AppleTV if you already have a game console? You wouldn't plain and simple. My PS4 already allows me to play games and view content so the only option to sell any iTunes video  content to me would be to add an iTunes app to my PS4. 

If you already have an AppleTV you can use Airplay or iTunes but what about the hundreds of millions who do not have an AppleTV. You completely missed the point. 

• Reply 28 of 66
    Who cares how many iPhones are sold? We are comparing the number of AppleTV's and Rokus sold vs the combined number of game consoles. How are you going to get iTunes content on your TV easily? How would you play those iOS games without an AppleTV? Why would you want to buy an AppleTV if you already have a game console? You wouldn't plain and simple. My PS4 already allows me to play games and view content so the only option to sell any iTunes video  content to me would be to add an iTunes app to my PS4. 

If you already have an AppleTV you can use Airplay or iTunes but what about the hundreds of millions who do not have an AppleTV. You completely missed the point. 

The point I was making is that iPhone users with existing games on their iPhones will be the major market for a new Apple TV which can run their existing games. Apple are not in the business of selling other peoples hardware. A small fraction of iPhone sales in any month converting to Apple TV as well and you have a market much bigger than the existing console market.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    asdasd wrote: »
    The point I was making is that iPhone users with existing games on their iPhones will be the major market for a new Apple TV which can run their existing games. Apple are not in the business of selling other peoples hardware. A small fraction of iPhone sales in any month converting to Apple TV as well and you have a market much bigger than the existing console market.

I doubt that.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-console-still-accounts-for-42-of-the-total-video-games-market/0115826
  • Reply 30 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

looking forward to the update hope i don't have to buy new hardware

ac would be great

but i think expand BT to allow headsets, earbuds  their are many that need improved  hearing access

voice control would rock

• Reply 31 of 66
    I would SWAGestimate:
    [LIST]
    [*] an A7X APU
    [*] up to 16 GB RAM
    [*] up to 32 GB SSD
    [*] 802.11ac WiFi
    [*] Bluetooth 4.0
    [*] HDMI IN
    [*] HDMI OUT
    [*] 4K Video
    [*] Crossload from iTunes
    [*] Stream from iCloud
    [*] Interface Home Server
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 32 of 66
    herbapou wrote: »
    If they can keep both the games and its data in the cloud it would solve a lot of issues and allow to built a very low cost game console. Its a good idea *IF* they actually dont "stream" the games but just "stored" the games in iclould then download the game you want to play. Streaming means we get in VM's so it implied costly servers to setup.  VM's are good to replace corporate PC's, but games requires too much interaction between the client and the server and games absolutly must be responsive or it will be just bad... like airplay.

If they do it I hope they release new hardware, like a 16g with the A7 so we can run decent games.  Currently, the ATV2 is running a single core A4 and the ATV3 is running a single core A5. I dont know how much ram those have but it must be minimal.  The old box wont be able to run games with intense graphics, just very simple games like angry birds or candy crush.
    They should have 1/2 gb of ram, yet these things need a replacement like a SSD drive like the original HDD. These will obviosly have A7 chips and $150 or more price point when out.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    dasanman69 wrote: »

We're talking about the future. If Apple get say 30% of households with iPhones to buy an Apple TV for games it will out sell the consoles. MS sold a record 3.9M xboxes last Q, Apple is reckoned to have sold 50M iPhones.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I would SWAGestimate:

• an A7X APU

• up to 16 GB RAM

• up to 32 GB SSD

• 802.11ac WiFi

• Bluetooth 4.0

• HDMI IN

• HDMI OUT

• 4K Video

• Crossload from iTunes

• Stream from iCloud

• Interface Home Server

I sincerely doubt HDMI in, but it’d be great if A7 or whatever would decode h.265.

• Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:

You still don't get it. I am an iPhone owner and also own an iPad and a PS4. What possible reason would any console owner and I am including all PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii which combined is a lot of people, ever have to buy an AppleTV if they already have one of those consoles?

Apple makes a version of iTunes for Windows PC's and you completely ignored that. If they can make a version for Windows then why not an app for game consoles? Apple would make money off selling content on these platforms just like they do on an AppleTV. 

• Reply 36 of 66
    You still don't get it. I am an iPhone owner and also own an iPad and a PS4. What possible reason would any console owner and I am including all PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii which combined is a lot of people, ever have to buy an AppleTV if they already have one of those consoles?

Apple makes a version of iTunes for Windows PC's and you completely ignored that. If they can make a version for Windows then why not an app for game consoles? Apple would make money off selling content on these platforms just like they do on an AppleTV. 

I don't know how remedial I can make my explanation. Here goes.

The Apple TV Games console is. Not. For. People. With. Existing. Consoles. But. For. The. Far. Greater. Number. Of. iPhone. Users. Who. Will. Be. Tempted. Into. Buying. A. Console. Which. Plays. Natively. Their. Existing. iPhone. Games.

In other words you are not the only person in the world. I don't have an xBox, PS or Wii but would buy an Apple TV which streamed content and played my existing iDevice games selection.

They started to sell iTunes content on Windows to encourage the takeoff of iPod and (later) iPhone devices to Windows users. The model is always content sells hardware. Else they would put iTunes in google play.
  • Reply 37 of 66

The Apple TV Games console is. Not. For. People. With. Existing. Consoles. But. For. The. Far. Greater. Number. Of. iPhone. Users. Who. Will. Be. Tempted. Into. Buying. A. Console. Which. Plays. Natively. Their. Existing. iPhone. Games.

One word sentences are still too difficult for him to understand. Lost cause; leave it be.

• Reply 38 of 66

In other words you are not the only person in the world. I don't have an xBox, PS or Wii but would buy an Apple TV which streamed content and played my existing iDevice games selection.

They started to sell iTunes content on Windows to encourage the takeoff of iPod and (later) iPhone devices to Windows users. The model is always content sells hardware. Else they would put iTunes in google play.

Funny ????
    We have a Wii that hasn't been touched in almost 2 years, kids & wife are gamers but prefer playing iOS games on iPads, iTouch, and my new iPhone
  • Reply 39 of 66

What if an AppleTV could offer everything a PS4 or Xbox One has plus...
    • More games
    • Better games
    • Better performance
    • The Apple ecosystem

Here's a quote from an article from June 2013, discussing the PS and Xbox upgrades.

The Why:

To get at why Microsoft and Sony chose AMD, you need to start with the content needs. Both makers were looking for a way to increase the console “footprint”, increase the amount of apps, and lower the cost of software development. The Xbox One and the PS4 are designed to do a lot more than games. They designed the consoles to be the future hub for all home entertainment and home automation and control. To effectively do this, they will need hundreds of complex apps that are relatively straight-forward to code. Therefore, you need to start with an application processor architecture that supports this, and it’s not Power architecture.

The apps processors that powers today’s Xbox 360 and the PS3 are based on the Power architecture. It delivered decent performance seven years ago, but it is much more difficult to program than the ARM (ARM Holdings PLC), MIPS (Imagination Technologies Group PLC), or X86 (AMD and Intel INTC -0.71%). Additionally, the technological investment in ARM, MIPS and X86 architectures and ecosystems dwarfed PowerPC over the last decade, rendering Power obsolete for the required performance per watt. In a world where your console needs to have as many apps as your smartphone, the only answer was ARM, MIPS or X86.

The What:

My sources have confirmed for me that both Sony and Microsoft felt that MIPS didn’t have the right size developer ecosystem or the horsepower to power the new consoles. Then it came down to ARM versus X86 architecture. I am told there was a technical “bake-off”, where prototype silicon was tested against each other across a myriad of application-based and synthetic benchmarks. At the end of the bake-off, ARM was deemed as not having the right kind of horsepower and that its 64-bit architecture wasn’t ready soon enough. 64-bit was important as it maximized memory addressability, and the next gen console needed to run multiple apps, operating systems and hypervisors. ARM-based architectures will soon get as powerful as AMD’s Jaguar cores, but not when Sony or Microsoft needed them for their new consoles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2013/06/26/the-real-reasons-microsoft-and-sony-chose-amd-for-consoles/

ARM-based architectures will soon get as powerful as AMD’s Jaguar cores...

I suspect that that day will have arrived with an A7X APU on an AppleTV.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Awesome! There's no way this can be false. /s but, would be awesome if it was true. they could take their growing number of controller compatible games and make them available in their own appletv App Store area. Maybe you can pair your iPhone for accelerometer and swiping to use games in a different App Store area.