Update may bring games, controller support to Apple TV this spring

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Funny ????
    We have a Wii that hasn't been touched in almost 2 years, kids & wife are gamers but prefer playing iOS games on iPads, iTouch, and my new iPhone

Now would they play those games on a TV?
  • Reply 42 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One word sentences are still too difficult for him to understand. Lost cause; leave it be.

Sounds like a personal attack.

• Reply 43 of 66
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

short version is.... a bigger screen.

• Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I don't know how remedial I can make my explanation. Here goes.

The Apple TV Games console is. Not. For. People. With. Existing. Consoles. But. For. The. Far. Greater. Number. Of. iPhone. Users. Who. Will. Be. Tempted. Into. Buying. A. Console. Which. Plays. Natively. Their. Existing. iPhone. Games.

In other words you are not the only person in the world. I don't have an xBox, PS or Wii but would buy an Apple TV which streamed content and played my existing iDevice games selection.

They started to sell iTunes content on Windows to encourage the takeoff of iPod and (later) iPhone devices to Windows users. The model is always content sells hardware. Else they would put iTunes in google play.

I understood exactly what you were saying before. My point is you seem to assume very few iPhone owners also own a game console which I think is rather silly.  I imagine the percentage of people not owning a game console is a lot smaller than you think. Apple is not selling the AppleTV to make money on hardware sales like all their other products. It is sold mainly as a conduit to get people to spend money on iTunes which is why I think an iTunes app on PS4 would not be a bad idea. Sony allowed Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix there so no reason why Apple could not also strike a deal with Sony. 

• Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What if an AppleTV could offer everything a PS4 or Xbox One has plus...

• More games

• Better games

• Better performance

• The Apple ecosystem

Here's a quote from an article from June 2013, discussing the PS and Xbox upgrades.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2013/06/26/the-real-reasons-microsoft-and-sony-chose-amd-for-consoles/

ARM-based architectures will soon get as powerful as AMD’s Jaguar cores...

I suspect that that day will have arrived with an A7X APU on an AppleTV.

That is actually what I hope will happen and I think that would be fantastic. I have been hoping for that for several years and think it could be very successful especially if it is priced around $200. Such a device would give the existing consoles some great competition. My points were only about the existing AppleTV. I could live without Amazon videos on the one you describe but could not live without Plexmedia support though so I would hope there would be a way to include Plex support or I would stick with my PS4. 

• Reply 46 of 66
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I would SWAGestimate:

• an A7X APU

• up to 16 GB RAM

• up to 32 GB SSD

• 802.11ac WiFi

• Bluetooth 4.0

• HDMI IN

• HDMI OUT

• 4K Video

• Crossload from iTunes

• Stream from iCloud

• Interface Home Server

nice specs, but if the A7 can drive 4k video I would be satisfied with it.  The Notes 3 has a 4k camera, imo in 2014 and 2015 you will see a lot of devices able to record 4k so this will drive the 4k TV market before cable can even deliver Hollywood content.  2014 would be a nice year for Apple to launch a 4k monitor/tv and update its AppleTV box.  A complete AppleTV box with games and app is a nice first step.

• Reply 47 of 66
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Sounds like a personal attack.

You hear a lot of things that aren’t true, though. I notice you’re ignoring the actual argument. Again.

• Reply 48 of 66
    herbapou wrote: »
    I would SWAGestimate:
    • an A7X APU
    • up to 16 GB RAM
    • up to 32 GB SSD
    • 802.11ac WiFi
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • HDMI IN
    • HDMI OUT
    • 4K Video
    • Crossload from iTunes
    • Stream from iCloud
    • Interface Home Server

nice specs, but if the A7 can drive 4k video I would be satisfied with it.  The Notes 3 has a 4k camera, imo in 2014 and 2015 you will see a lot of devices able to record 4k so this will drive the 4k TV market before cable can even deliver Hollywood content.  2014 would be a nice year for Apple to launch a 4k monitor/tv and update its AppleTV box.  A complete AppleTV box with games and app is a nice first step.

The A6-powered iPad 4 A6 can already deliver 2K.

Schiller said that the A7 is "desktop class" hardware.

The $100 million Warner Bros. movie Focus, has been filmed (captured), cut and [will be] delivered in 4K..

IMO, With adequate RAM and SSD, the A7X should be able to deliver 4K... Long before the cable carriers can..
  • Reply 49 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    herbapou wrote: »
    short version is.... a bigger screen.

Yes but using that logic they'd be playing with the Wii. While mobile games are fun there's not a single game that I wish I could play on a bigger screen.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:

You hear a lot of things that aren’t true, though. I notice you’re ignoring the actual argument. Again.

Nope I understood his original argument perfectly well but I just disagree with him. It was not a matter of any misunderstanding. 

• Reply 51 of 66

I just disagree with him.

No, you don’t understand what he’s saying at all. You would have written something other than “why would I want it” if you had understood it.

• Reply 52 of 66
    …<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I just disagree with him.</span>

No, you don’t understand what he’s saying at all. You would have written something other than “why would I want it” if you had understood it.

TS... He understands... He just wants different things than you or I do...
  • Reply 53 of 66

TS... He understands... He just wants different things than you or I do...

He doesn’t! Not in the slightest. He is claiming that there is no market for the Apple TV in this regard at all. He is claiming that no one would buy it because of these updates due to existing solutions in the market. It’s sheer insanity. 

• Reply 54 of 66
    dasanman69 wrote: »

All day every day.
    I think a lot of video gamers are a lot like my family, play a lot but like the campy mobile games and not so much the cutting edge pot smoking cool games like Halo & grand theft auto.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Quote:

He doesn’t! Not in the slightest. He is claiming that there is no market for the Apple TV in this regard at all. He is claiming that no one would buy it because of these updates due to existing solutions in the market. It’s sheer insanity. 

Now you are trying to tell me what I think and believe? I never said any such thing in fact just a few posts above I said if an updated AppleTV that were more powerful were released it would in fact do very well. I also said I had been hoping for such a product since it first came out. I was talking about the existing market and the existing AppleTV.  I pointed out that in the existing market AppleTV and Roku are only a blip when you compare the installed console base for services like Netflix. The PS3 alone has more people using Netflix than Roku and AppleTV combined. Do you dispute that? If Apple releases a new AppleTV that also allows a fuller iOS experience with games then I can see that change and the AppleTV becoming far more popular. My point was that why not get all existing console users onto iTunes as well with an app like Amazon video has already done. That would not in any way diminish or compete with a new an improved Apple TV that also allows games. If anything it would make more game console users consider getting an AppleTV when the time comes. 

You still rocking that 1st gen iPhone you won from the radio station? 

• Reply 56 of 66

I was talking about the existing market and the existing AppleTV. 

He wasn’t. Confirming that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

If Apple releases a new AppleTV that also allows a fuller iOS experience with games then I can see that change and the AppleTV becoming far more popular.

No. You explicitly cannot. You said so yourself.

What possible reason would any console owner and I am including all PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii which combined is a lot of people, ever have to buy an AppleTV if they already have one of those consoles?

You still rocking that 1st gen iPhone you won from the radio station? 

You still strawmanning it up when you don’t have an actual argument?

• Reply 57 of 66
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I would SWAGestimate:
    • an A7X APU
    • up to 16 GB RAM
    • up to 32 GB SSD
    • 802.11ac WiFi
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • HDMI IN
    • HDMI OUT
    • 4K Video
    • Crossload from iTunes
    • Stream from iCloud
    • Interface Home Server

I doubt we'll see 4K (or H.265) yet, but all the rest I'd be rapt with.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    I hope Apple at least do something, anything. The first Apple TV was amazing, but now its becoming a bit of a joke. They've made it look like its got apps but you cant add to them, even worse your stuck with ones like WSJ which aren't even relevant to tot country your in! For things like streaming films or tv its now not the best and also the most expensive option. E.g. Some tvs have it built in, cable boxs have it built in, games consoles have it built and they have multiple apps to rent from. All of these things also have the major catch up streaming services like iPlayer which Apple TV doesn't. Theres also a box from Now TV for £9.99 that looks almost identical to Apple TV that does all this to.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Theyve made it look like its got apps

No, not really… That’s why they’re rectangles.

…even worse your stuck with ones like WSJ which arent even relevant to tot country your in! 

So hide them. Do you complain about how the App Store has apps you don’t care about?

E.g. Some tvs have it built in, cable boxes have it built in, games consoles have it built…

Enjoy their interfaces. Everybody loves multiple second lag between button presses!

Theres also a box from Now TV for £9.99 that looks almost identical to Apple TV that does all this to.

You realize that

1. They stole the design and

2. You are forced to buy subscriptions to its content to achieve that price

Right?

• Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

No, not really… That’s why they’re rectangles.

As opposed to squares?

Quote:

So hide them. Do you complain about how the App Store has apps you don’t care about?

How do you hide them? Why would I complain about apps in a store, there in a store. Apps on the Apple TV are on it's main screen.

Quote:

Enjoy their interfaces. Everybody loves multiple second lag between button presses!

The Sky box UI isn't pretty but it's got a decent search that search's all the content from all sources in one format. Don't know what you mean about lag, seems fairly instant.

Quote:

You realize that

1. They stole the design and

2. You are forced to buy subscriptions to its content to achieve that price

Right?

1. Why would I care if they store the design? I'm a consumer not the person they copied it from.

2. Didn't realise the subscription to active. Even with that though it's still only £45 and you get 5 months of content too. Can't see anywhere what happens when your subscription ends.