Apple updates iWork suite for OS X and iOS with new features, bug fixes [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

PAGES: Still no linking text flow from box to box. Still so many features which were so useful. Can someone at apple insider get on this. It's a disaster. I have so many projects I wrote in Pages that I can't even open for fear they will be ruined by this update. Find out why Apple did this update and pressure someone to fix it! We all hate it! Is there another option? Go back to Word, ugh. Help!

• Reply 22 of 32
    Originally Posted by knapp View Post

Can someone at apple insider get on this.

No. Because we’re not Apple.

I have so many projects I wrote in Pages that I can't even open for fear they will be ruined by this update.

Then don’t open them. Use Pages ’09.

Find out why Apple did this update and pressure someone to fix it!

We already know why. If you can’t understand it, go read about why.

We all hate it!

Speak for yourself.

Is there another option?

Keep using Pages ’09 like Apple itself tells you to do.

• Reply 23 of 32
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hspanhs View Post

Nice, but there is the VERTICAL ruler? Anyone seen it?

Turn it on in preferences. (Rulers -> Enable vertical ruler...)

• Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

However, what kind of apps are Apple committed to? The new versions sent me spinning, I was honestly expecting more sophisticated versions would be released. My understanding and I might not be correct, is that the new versions are complete re-writes. There's a lot of work in that, however, I consider them vanity releases. I'm now back with word, which is an utter dog but has features that I need and thought Pages 'might' have by now.

Then you kind of don't understand what Apple is doing. I hope you will soon and I understand that the new versions are missing features you may well need... it's missing a couple I need for ePUBs but they're not important.

Apple's simplification of the interface is welcome considering Microsoft is going the other way and making it more convoluted. I admit the idea of context sensitive editing takes a bit of getting used to but man once you get it you wonder why you've ever used any other way.

By the end of 6 months I suspect most of the old features that actually are needed will be there and ones that are going to blow your mind will be added and you'll see where Apple is going and why they are going there.

Give it time. It's FCPX all over again but in both cases the moved NEEDED to be made.

• Reply 25 of 32
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Then you kind of don't understand what Apple is doing. I hope you will soon and I understand that the new versions are missing features you may well need... it's missing a couple I need for ePUBs but they're not important.

Apple's simplification of the interface is welcome considering Microsoft is going the other way and making it more convoluted. I admit the idea of context sensitive editing takes a bit of getting used to but man once you get it you wonder why you've ever used any other way.

By the end of 6 months I suspect most of the old features that actually are needed will be there and ones that are going to blow your mind will be added and you'll see where Apple is going and why they are going there.

Give it time. It's FCPX all over again but in both cases the moved NEEDED to be made.

Exactly. I welcome the feature parity approach they are taking because I spend a fair amount of time working on my rMBP and my iPad Air. The current solution is better than the old annoying dialog of not having the same features on iOS as on the Mac.

Funnily, Adobe took a different approach with Lightroom and developed a whole new app from the ground up. They have a lean and fast product in stark contrast to the vast majority of their popular apps that still sit on quite a bit of legacy code. 

I've noticed that as our lives have become more connected and because of the instant nature of the internet, people have become increasingly less patient. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes and I have to keep myself in check. Thinking back to when I was a kid and seeing how things were back then and how things are now, I miss those days sometimes. Patience is a virtue.

• Reply 26 of 32
    Hello!

I am very grateful for your help.

I am surprised they had hidden the ruler like that!

Kindest regards and a happy week-end!

HSPANHS
  • Reply 27 of 32
    foad wrote: »
    Exactly. I welcome the feature parity approach they are taking because I spend a fair amount of time working on my rMBP and my iPad Air. The current solution is better than the old annoying dialog of not having the same features on iOS as on the Mac.

Funnily, Adobe took a different approach with Lightroom and developed a whole new app from the ground up. They have a lean and fast product in stark contrast to the vast majority of their popular apps that still sit on quite a bit of legacy code. 

The "new from the ground up" approach is how Apple did the new iWorks too. The new apps are also 64-bit aware, so Apple should take this re-write well into the distant future. Apple has also announced that many old features will be added back in and the door is open to increase the feature -set to make pages more feature-filled than it once was.

However — Apple made a several blunders in how they released the re-writes:

1. Apple didn't warn anyone about the the feature shrink when they released the re-written apps. This caused a lot of ill-will that could have been avoided.
    2. Apple didn't let anyone know that opening an old document in the new version of iWorks would destroy the formatting of the older document. So a lot of people freaked out over their lost work. Apple had a work-around (see next point) but again failed to properly prepare users of iWorks to potential problem or the work-around.
    3. Apple kept the older version of iWorks on the iMacs, but didn't tell anyone that the old document formatting would be restored by opening them with the old version. This lack of communication earned Apple a lot of unnecessary ill-will and a lot of down-voting on the apps in the store.
    4. Now, instead of people being happy with the progress Apple is doing with iWorks, they are still less-then-thrilled because of the past communications failures.

Apple did belatedly announce that many features would be added back in over a six-month period. I haven't been keeping a score, but (A) it seems we are about out of the 6-month window, and (B) we are a long way from the reaching the minimalist feature set of the iOS earlier version, and (C) a couple light years from the earlier OSX version.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The "new from the ground up" approach is how Apple did the new iWorks too. The new apps are also 64-bit aware, so Apple should take this re-write well into the distant future. Apple has also announced that many old features will be added back in and the door is open to increase the feature -set to make pages more feature-filled than it once was.

However — Apple made a several blunders in how they released the re-writes:

1. Apple didn't warn anyone about the the feature shrink when they released the re-written apps. This caused a lot of ill-will that could have been avoided.

2. Apple didn't let anyone know that opening an old document in the new version of iWorks would destroy the formatting of the older document. So a lot of people freaked out over their lost work. Apple had a work-around (see next point) but again failed to properly prepare users of iWorks to potential problem or the work-around.

3. Apple kept the older version of iWorks on the iMacs, but didn't tell anyone that the old document formatting would be restored by opening them with the old version. This lack of communication earned Apple a lot of unnecessary ill-will and a lot of down-voting on the apps in the store.

4. Now, instead of people being happy with the progress Apple is doing with iWorks, they are still less-then-thrilled because of the past communications failures.

Apple did belatedly announce that many features would be added back in over a six-month period. I haven't been keeping a score, but (A) it seems we are about out of the 6-month window, and (B) we are a long way from the reaching the minimalist feature set of the iOS earlier version, and (C) a couple light years from the earlier OSX version.

I agree with your 4 points, and I think that a fair amount of the animosity could have been avoided. Apple occasionally does have issues relaying their motives and intent with their customer base. That has been the case for some time. However, I think some of the animosity is trolling (Samsung is known for paying for trolling to happen), some of it is user error, some of it is miscommunication.

The thing with the internet is the mob mentality. Something small will blow up into a scandal rather quickly, and an Apple controversy will light up page views like few other topics will. The media knows this and fans the flames. I frequent sites like Asymco because Horace's articles are intelligent as are the discussions in the comments section. There are varying views present but in general people don't explode on each other.

I know iWork has nothing to do with that but the general consumption of news does and I think even with iWork, a lot of it got blown out of proportion. Some because of how Apple handled the situation and some because how the media handled it.

| edited for grammer |

• Reply 29 of 32
    Saw this posted on Macworld for those that might be interested in AppleScript support in iWork.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2090831/applescript-makes-a-comeback-in-numbers.html

There were a lot of folks freaking out about AppleScript support and so far, it looks like it was premature. This fresh code base looks like a good thing for the long term as it is giving Apple a robust foundation to work on.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I have no interest in building a keynote presentation on an iPhone or managing a complex numbers spreadsheet on an iPad - and nobody I know who uses iWorks for serious business purposes has any interest either.

iWorks was a shambles when released and still is. What was a smooth functioning, delightful to use, highly productive set of capabilities has become a time consuming, non-intiutive, clunky pig. Wake up Apple - the whole world doesn't orbit around the iPhone - millions of users have serious work to do and need the tools to do it. This means a decent sized screen, a full sized keypad and the functionality to complete the task - not reduced capabilities shoehorned onto small format, toy-town technology. There is a limit to how much time people are going to waste on dealing with these sorts of "updates". Either get your act together or lose the customer base. Its up to you Apple - and remember, history is littered with the corpses of much larger companies which lost sight of their customers needs .... .
  • Reply 31 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by michaelpaull View Post

iWorks

iWork. At least get the name of the product you’ve never used correctly.

…was a shambles when released and still is.

lol no.

Wake up Apple

the whole world doesn't orbit around the iPhone - millions of users have serious work to do and need the tools to do it. This means a decent sized screen, a full sized keypad and the functionality to complete the task - not reduced capabilities shoehorned onto small format, toy-town technology.

So what on Earth are you pretending to say here? That Apple needs a bigger phone or they’re doomed or that the desktop version of iWork is somehow inadequate?

• Reply 32 of 32

Ohh dear. Siggghhh Zzzzzzz