Apple's Macintosh has forced the world to change for 30 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

my post got deleted without any reason. I told to me Apple changed the world since iPod and iPhone, not the Mac. Why, because the Amiga to me was the real game changer. Actually, Apple was "scared shitless" when it was released (quote).

If my post was deleted because of the above, then AppleInsider has a reality distortion field when it comes to having different opinions/experiences. 

Or you simply could go back to the thread you actually posted in...and no, Apple was not scared shitless of the Amiga. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161737/apple-celebrates-30-years-of-mac-with-special-webpage-video#post_2462218

• Reply 22 of 81
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I wouldn't dispute much of that (though as always, saying that change has a single source is normally betraying a bias).

But "the world" does not equal the PC hardware industry, and Apple being influential and widely copied does not equal them "forcing" anything. 

I'm not knocking Apple, they're great, and clearly a very important player in computing and technology.  But they didn't "force" the "world" to "change".  It's an OTT headline.

It's a DED headline, what do you expect?  That said, by changing the computer industry Apple did change the world given how important personal computers are to modern world. 

• Reply 23 of 81

A quibble with your use of language.

The Macintosh and Apple have not FORCED change on the world.  They have enticed the world to change.

• Reply 24 of 81
    The really important thing to remember about Steve Jobs and Apple is the strategic importance of destroying your own best products. The secret that Apple carries is this willingness. The number of innovative products that Apple has made obsolete is the real legacy of the company. Some people may buy Apple computers, but they are nothing more than an important hobby for this company. The Mac is a legacy that Apple is willing to let go of in search of how to make a better product. Microsoft has never been willing to make a product that could kill Excel, Word or Windows. Apple has killed the vast majority of it's products and continues to do so. That is the legacy that Steve Jobs brought back to Apple It lives on in the company, and it gives Apple it's secret advantage over the other giants of the tech sector.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

Some people may buy Apple computers, but they are nothing more than an important hobby for this company. The Mac is a legacy that Apple is willing to let go of in search of how to make a better product.

But that’s the opposite of what Cook and company just said.

• Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Or you simply could go back to the thread you actually posted in...and no, Apple was not scared shitless of the Amiga. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161737/apple-celebrates-30-years-of-mac-with-special-webpage-video#post_2462218

Maybe not "shitless", but close:

Jean-Louis Gassee, formerly of Apple Computer, was quoted as saying "When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell." (Amazing Computing, Nov. 1996) 

• Reply 27 of 81
    OSX is built on top of the BSD layer running on Mach. Mach is from Carnegie Mellon. Just giving Easterners credit where credit is due.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    nht wrote: »

LOL. The delusion of censoring "people with different opinions" are a VERY common reality-distorting meme in these forums. I don't get these persecution fantasies these people tell themselves. Hilarious. If they behaved IRL the way they do in the forums, they would see a happy Apple user, go up to them, and start bragging unsolicited about how much better their {insert-other-brand-here} is, and how insecure it makes them to see people liking their Apple products. Then if they get dirty looks, they'll whine about censorship.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    mr. me wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    In the defence of MS & Android, the same could be said for them.

Thanks DED, another great article.
    Um-m-m-m, no. You cannot give the same credit to the copy that is given to the original. Android is a crib of iOS. Windows was a floundering failure until Microsoft gained access to Apple code for the Macintosh.

I agree. Was simply my lame attempt at humour.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    hiwreck wrote: »
    OSX is built on top of the BSD layer running on Mach. Mach is from Carnegie Mellon. Just giving Easterners credit where credit is due.

Good to know.

And where did OSX come from?
  • Reply 31 of 81
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

I remember when my bro-in-law was looking for a new computer round the time the iMac, second gen came out. I told him he could do no wrong if he got a beige one.

He did. Took him twenty-five years to add some colour to his life.

• Reply 32 of 81
    Love your editorial pieces, they're always instant classics!
  • Reply 33 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    Anyone know for certain why Apple themselves pretty well skipped the 25 year anniversary? Maybe it was just emphasizing out with the old and in with the new, that being iOS iDevices?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/24/apple_thriving_on_25th_anniversary_of_the_mac
  • Reply 34 of 81
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple Mac. The revolution. The rest is history

http://www.mackido.com/History/index.html

It all started at the Department of Defense (Defense Department, USDOD, DOD, DoD or the Pentagon), from where Xerox took ideas, from where Apple took idead to make the real practical revolution: the Mac.

• Reply 35 of 81
    Ahhh, Macs. Stealing other people's ideas since the early 1980s. No wait, I'm wrong. They did give us a few things previously unseen by most, including the computer virus.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In the defence of MS & Android, the same could be said for them.

Thanks DED, another great article.

Yes, Mac has forced the world to change, while DED has forced the world to gag at rabid  fanboiism for almost as long.

• Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple Mac. The revolution. The rest is history

http://www.mackido.com/History/index.html

It all started at the Department of Defense (Defense Department, USDOD, DOD, DoD or the Pentagon), from where Xerox took ideas, from where Apple took idead to make the real practical revolution: the Mac.

??? Black is white! Night is day! Do you have any f***ing idea what you are talking about?

• Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Maybe not "shitless", but close:

Jean-Louis Gassee, formerly of Apple Computer, was quoted as saying "When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell." (Amazing Computing, Nov. 1996)

Yes, because Amiga was a WAY better machine. Unfortunately, it fell into the incompetent hands of Commodore.

• Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Um-m-m-m, no. You cannot give the same credit to the copy that is given to the original. Android is a crib of iOS. Windows was a floundering failure until Microsoft gained access to Apple code for the Macintosh.

How exactly did Microsoft gain access to Apple code? What ARE you talking about?

• Reply 40 of 81
    Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

How exactly did Microsoft gain access to Apple code?

By striking the deal with Apple to write versions of their productivity software for the platform.