Apple's Tim Cook jokes about secrecy, sapphire glass, and a mythical 'iRing'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I am very glad that they have no intention of merging iOS and OSX, but I would really like to see a Mac with a touchscreen at some point.  OSX isn't ready yet unfortunately.

Who would want to be continually moving one's hand back and forth between keyboard and screen?  And if you have a 27" screen or larger, how far away is that behind your keyboard?  I'd say quite a reach going from keyboard to screen.

The solution for people who like touch gestures is not a touch screen but a touch pad that maps directly to the screen via on-screen real time fingerprint, palm print and handprint animations that indicate exactly what pixels on the monitor map directly to the region you are touching on the track pad.  You can't get more pixel level precision than that with a touch pad.  There, that's in the public domain now, no one can patent that.  My gift to computing.

• Reply 62 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Who would want to be continually moving one's hand back and forth between keyboard and screen?  And if you have a 27" screen or larger, how far away is that behind your keyboard?  I'd say quite a reach going from keyboard to screen.

The solution for people who like touch gestures is not a touch screen but a touch pad that maps directly to the screen via on-screen real time fingerprint, palm print and handprint animations that indicate exactly what pixels on the monitor map directly to the region you are touching on the track pad.  You can't get more pixel level precision than that with a touch pad.  There, that's in the public domain now, no one can patent that.  My gift to computing.

It's first to file now I think, so thanks for the patent ;)

In all seriousness, having used a similar setup the touchpad solution isn't so great. The point of having support for both is that they are appropriate at different times. For example now I am using a keyboard and mouse to type, but being able to just take my screen with me and then use the touchscreen alone, or perhaps dock it to a simple keyboard like the TF101 I mentioned in another post and just use the keyboard (Microsoft's touch covers also probably count here too)

It's the flexibility I think more than anything. Ok maybe you're not going to take your 27" monitor anywhere, but a 12-13" tablet/laptop hybrid with an external touchpad + keyboard for 'desktop' use? That's pretty damn attractive.

• Reply 63 of 80
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Is that true?  Hahahahaha

He's been banned here multiple times, just no permanent ban yet.

• Reply 64 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    As an owner (shareholder), I demand to see what they are developing. I can keep secrets. /s
  • Reply 65 of 80
    malax wrote: »
    The ring comment could just be a more basic, man-on-the-street joke.  If you mention sapphire to a normal human they will think of the precious stone and jewelry. 

Well, thanks a lot! When I hear “Sapphire,” I think of the wife of George “Kingfish” Stevens...
  • Reply 66 of 80
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    imat wrote: »
    Wake up at 3:45? Wonder at what time he goes to bed.

Goes to bed when it's dark LOL... ROFL he is a vampire... THAT CAN WALK IN THE DAYLIGHT!!!!!!!!! /facetious...

but seriously , depending on the season you would goto bed when it is dark... more sleep in the winter, less in the summer. but then again he might have a blackout room so it doesn't matter when he goes to sleep...:smokey:
  • Reply 67 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I don't want the touchscreen to replace the trackpad.  I want to have both because sometimes it's more intuitive to reach out and "touch" the image on screen.

• Reply 68 of 80
    I think it's a shame if they aren't. They're slowly making OSX more iOS-like, so it seems silly to maintain these two disparate operating systems. I hope Google merge ChromeOS and Android as they appear to be doing, and Microsoft sorta merged w8 already but nobody really cares :)

Apple doesn't seem to care about merging them. The reasoning, probably because they care about osx less than ios. They sell far less macs then iPads alone. Macs never really brought them out of the niche category. Remember the original Mac thinking, they didn't allow backwards compatibility with DOS operating system? Because they were forcing the coders to write programs GUI compatible. They probably don't care to bring the old osx much further. Microsoft on the other hand loves windows and is trying to bring jt into the next gen/form factor because it makes them tons of moolah and market share. The problem is that is doesn't really belong in a touch screen world like iOS does.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Sapphire sounds great.

And that was a great misdirection on the curved screen! Sammy and LouGie bought into that crapola hook-line-and-stinker!!

• Reply 70 of 80
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Wake up at 3:45? Wonder at what time he goes to bed.

[ insert scene from "Lisa's Pony" where Homer goes to bed for 1 second before the alarm clock goes off and gets back up ]

• Reply 71 of 80
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Apple doesn't seem to care about merging them. The reasoning, probably because they care about osx less than ios. They sell far less macs then iPads alone. Macs never really brought them out of the niche category. Remember the original Mac thinking, they didn't allow backwards compatibility with DOS operating system? Because they were forcing the coders to write programs GUI compatible. They probably don't care to bring the old osx much further. Microsoft on the other hand loves windows and is trying to bring jt into the next gen/form factor because it makes them tons of moolah and market share. The problem is that is doesn't really belong in a touch screen world like iOS does.

No, they don't intend to — not that they don't seem to care. If you read the actual MacWorld interview with these guys, they clearly explain their thinking. iOS and OSX are disparate but connected in their vision. They see Mac and OSX as intrinsically important to the future roadmap. Mavericks has a ton of forward-thinking new features with regard to power consumption and so forth, showing that they do care quite a bit.

"Microsoft on the other hand..."  — Yeah, we'll see.

• Reply 72 of 80
    I think it's a shame if they aren't. They're slowly making OSX more iOS-like, so it seems silly to maintain these two disparate operating systems. I hope Google merge ChromeOS and Android as they appear to be doing, and Microsoft sorta merged w8 already but nobody really cares :)

Despite the advances in mobile, the two categories are still miles apart.

Macs/PCs holds 250 GB-2,000 GB of storage. Phones and tablets top out at 128, but are more typically 16-32 gigs.

Macs/PCs evolved with the use of mice and keyboards. Mobile uses touch, accelerometers, etc.

The iPhone uses about 1 watt of power. Macs/PCs draw 10-100 times this (or more). They are still an order of magnitude more powerful (and not a sitting target).

Mobile is compact and meant to be pocketable. They have room for 1 or 2 plugs. Macs and PCs can have a dozen or more I/O ports.
  • Reply 73 of 80

The two may be miles apart physically, but both Linux and Darwin run everywhere. It's more a question of user interface than kernel as I see it.

• Reply 74 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The iRing will not be a motion controller, it will be what everyone is expecting from the iWatch. While everyone else is making wrist bands Apple will make something that fits on your finger.

When he said "It's for a ring" they thought he was joking about women's jewellery but he was really telling the truth.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Mobile is compact and meant to be pocketable.

Ahh… See how the definition has changed! I love it.

• Reply 76 of 80
    Anyone have a length to the full interview? How long was it? Missed it, darn...
  • Reply 77 of 80
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Too bad he doesn't joke about how long it took him to figure out a larger screen and different colors might be good for sales.  Still waiting for a new product to be released since he took over.  

• Reply 78 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tkell31 wrote: »
    Too bad he doesn't joke about how long it took him to figure out a larger screen and different colors might be good for sales.  Still waiting for a new product to be released since he took over.  

Do you mean the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 79 of 80
    Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Still waiting for a new product to be released since he took over.  

Maybe you should stop waiting and pay more attention.

• Reply 80 of 80
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The sapphire crystals on many timepieces are curved.

That's interesting!