Apple celebrates 30 years of Mac with special webpage, video

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    It's kind of stunning that even standing next to the large, flat, thin, glossy, high-res screen of an iMac, that old beige Macintosh with it's cute disk-drive slot looking like a talking grin still steals the show and conveys way more human touch and personality.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

• Reply 43 of 78
    dacloo wrote: »
    The Commodore Amiga was released in 1985 and was much, much more advanced compared to the Mac. It had pre-emptive multitasking (something that was introduced on MacOS X!), 4096 colors and was a true multi-media computer. Apple was scared shitless when the Amiga was introduced. Their Mac could only do 2 colors and had beep-sounds. The Amiga and its OS kicked ass. The Amiga was much cheaper as well.

One in a dustbin. The other in a museum.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did everyone fill out which was their first Mac?

http://www.apple.com/30-years/your-first-mac/

My was the iMac G4 "lamp"

My 512k enhanced is surprisingly leading the survey right now. Maybe because the more hardcore users are taking surveys at this point?

• Reply 45 of 78
    Just shut up and leave.

Don't be so harsh. I think celebrating the 30th anniversary of the failure of Amiga and Commodore are worthy of their own threads. But since they aren't Apple platforms, they're off topic here.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple Mac. The revolution. The rest is history

http://www.mackido.com/History/index.html

It all started at the Department of Defense (Defense Department, USDOD, DOD, DoD or the Pentagon), from where Xerox took ideas, from where Apple took idead to make the real practical revolution: the Mac.

• Reply 47 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    appex wrote: »

It all started at the Department of Defense (Defense Department, USDOD, DOD, DoD or the Pentagon), from where Xerox took ideas, from where Apple took idead to make the real practical revolution: the Mac.

Actually it all started at Bell Labs with the invention of the transistor.

But why would anyone be so graceless as to bring this up at the Mac's birthday party? This goes for dacloo more than you.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    appex wrote: »

Actually...

• Reply 49 of 78

Mine as well, and i bought it because i fall in love. And i have never heard of Apple before.

I still have it, it runs Maya 6 flawlessly, which my then PC could´n do.

I will take it out of the box this week end, and use Maya again.

The most beautiful computer ever!

I am working, i did the survey on a Windows PC.

Surely many people did the same.

• Reply 50 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

You're going to have to change your handle to Apple Prismo then ;)

I see what you mean, the Apple ][ doesn't qualify, because it's not a Mac. Macs came out in 1984.

I never did own an Apple ][ when I was a kid (way too pricey for a kid), but I did use one in school, and it was the first computer that I ever learned on, and got to know well.

I liked my Pismo a lot, but I do think that Apple ][ is a lot cooler name than Pismo.

• Reply 51 of 78
    flaneur wrote: »

But why would anyone be so graceless as to bring this up at the Mac's birthday party? This goes for dacloo more than you.

It's like Eric Cartman from South Park: every time he attends someone else's birthday party, he gets a present too, to avoid unpleasantness in public.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I heard the same argument on the Radio, a few minutes ago, here in Portugal.

I did not hear a Samsung ad, tho.

• Reply 54 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by level1807 View Post

I kinda hoped they would't do anything like this. First thing Steve Jobs did after his return in 1997 was eliminating the "Mac museum" in the headquarters. Never look back. Moreover, he considered most of their products since 1985 to 1997 total crap (which they obviously were at least in some cases).

Steve did an historical overview mentioning the Mac at the start of one of his most important presentations ever - the iPhone introduction, watch the first minute of this:

• Reply 55 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

After it was done, Bill Atkinson gave me a personal demo and then I had about 15 minutes of hands-on time:

Here's the ad -- result of about 18 hours of activity;

Cool story! It's interesting how much they emphasised the mobility aspect, even showing the computer having it's own bag. It's like Apple wanted to change the whole concept of a computer being something in a room that you go to, vs. something you take with you to help with whatever you're doing at the time.

• Reply 56 of 78
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by level1807 View Post

I kinda hoped they would't do anything like this. First thing Steve Jobs did after his return in 1997 was eliminating the "Mac museum" in the headquarters. Never look back. Moreover, he considered most of their products since 1985 to 1997 total crap (which they obviously were at least in some cases).

Yeah, never look back, yet here you are looking back to Jobs.

But he was right (then). You don't look back when you're just out of the gate. 30 years is something different though.

• Reply 57 of 78

Enjoyed the "30 Years…" film. Only I wish they had included a segment on the people creating all of the commercials and other advertising for Microsoft, IBM, Gateway, Dell, and yes; Samsung. All created on Macs.

(always got a chuckle watching a Microsoft commercial and wondering what Mac shop was used to create it)

• Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

"...There were a few crappy models, the IIvi, IIvx, PowerBook 190, 5300, and much of the performa line."

But not the performa 630 line!  Revolutionary!

First Mac with IDE hard drive.

First Mac with CD drive (standard)

First Mac with System disks (+ extras) on CD instead of floppy

First Mac with IR receiver (and an included remote)

First Mac with standard included display that had "built in stereo speakers".

Entire motherboard was designed as a "drawer" with a little pull-handle on the rear face.

The whole inside edge of the motherboard had gold contacts (like a RAM module) that just plugged into a giant slot inside the case when you gave the drawer that little extra push, sliding it in at the end.

In mine, I maxed the RAM.

Installed an ethernet card (We had a T1 in my building)

Installed the optional TV tuner card that was for the Performa

It was sweet. My PC neighbor came over, and I dropped a solo CD in the tray that had just come out by some chick singer from a band called The Sugar Cubes. The CD player application automatically launched and started playing the CD. I then started skipping tracks by pointing a tiny remote control at my computer.

My PC neighbor was speechless.

Edit: Remember this was 1994...

Edit 2: But yeah, those other models you listed were horrible.

• Reply 59 of 78
    180c180c Posts: 7member
    My first Mac was A PowerBook 180c which I believe was the very first colour MacBook
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Cool story! It's interesting how much they emphasised the mobility aspect, even showing the computer having it's own bag. It's like Apple wanted to change the whole concept of a computer being something in a room that you go to, vs. something you take with you to help with whatever you're doing at the time.

Yes, back in the day I remember seeing a picture of a guy who looked like a programmer who had ridden with his Mac Plus on the back of his bike out of the city to do some work. (Can't remember what he used for a power source, though...)