Apple celebrates 30 years of Mac with live concert at company HQ

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Capping off a day of festivities celebrating the Mac's 30th anniversary, Apple on Friday held a party at its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., where employees and guests were treated to a live concert performed by OneRepublic.

Mac 30
Source: Tim Cook via Twitter

At the special event, which happened to coincide with one of Apple's regular "beer bashes," Apple CEO Tim Cook took to the stage with a short speech recognizing the importance of the Mac milestone. Blogger Mindy Hu recorded a video clip of Cook's address and uploaded it to Instagram.

"We don't spend a lot of time looking back," Cook said to the huge gathering. "We spend all of our time looking forward and working on the next big thing. But we're making an exception for today, because 30 years ago today, the Macintosh was born."

Along with Cook, other high-ranking Apple executives like SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller, SVP of Internet Software and Service Eddy Cue and VP of Applications Roger Rosner were confirmed to be in attendance.

Cook himself posted three tweets wishing Mac a happy birthday and directing followers to Apple's Mac 30 mini site which launched early Friday morning.

The concert came at the tail end of a slew of interviews and press coverage for what Apple has dubbed "Mac 30." On Thursday, for example, MacWorld sat down with Schiller, SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi and VP of Software Technology Bud Tribble to discuss the past, present and future of the Mac platform.

Earlier today, ABC News ran a segment featuring Cook, Federighi and Tribble, though the short piece only briefly mentioned Mac as a lead-in to questions regarding Apple's legendary secrecy and the company's stance on government surveillance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    It was fun. The t-shirts and posters were cool too.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    The Happiness Year
  • Reply 3 of 20
  • Reply 4 of 20
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I have a feeling there were a few smoke clouds over the crowd :) Look like an awesome time, wish I could be there!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Me to also.

• Reply 6 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

"Me too." - Michael Bromwich.

• Reply 7 of 20
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Next big thing, huh? How about a home operating system. Like for the connected home to come.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I've never heard of this band.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Next big thing, huh? How about a home operating system. Like for the connected home to come.

Just go away and die.

• Reply 10 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    seriously?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    hill60 wrote: »
    "Me too." - Michael Bromwich.

LOL. Bromwich had a conflict on his calendar. Seems like he had scheduled all the executives to be deposed at that time. He said he would charge them $11576 per hour whether or not they showed up.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Oh you poor soul. Looks like you're advancing into the ranks of Driftmeyer and me!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

seriously?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Oh you poor soul. Looks like you're advancing into the ranks of Driftmeyer and me!

I guess I should have checked them out before posting that. I honestly had not heard of them, but in part because I avoid pop music like the plague. 

I did give them a good listen, but find the music mediocre. (But I feel that way about a lot of pop).

• Reply 14 of 20

One of the best lip-syncing groups out there!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    From the looks of it, beer bashes like this one will take place in the center courtyard of the spaceship when it's completed.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    OneRepublic? Why not Fleetwood Mac? ;)
  • Reply 17 of 20

where's the 30th anniversary mac?

• Reply 18 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    where's the 30th anniversary mac?

The thought crossed my mind when they showed the new Mac Pro on the last slide on the website that it might be considered the 30th anniversary Mac. It doesn't really explain any long delay in the redesign as they still needed the components but to launch it 1 month before the anniversary is quite good timing.

The 20th anniversary model was a very interesting design because it was pretty much the 2004 flat panel iMac 7 years early:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Twentieth+Anniversary+Mac+Teardown/12702

I don't think they need to make a special machine with the label for the 30th because they can't really make their designs any more forward-thinking than they already are.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think they need to make a special machine with the label for the 30th because they can't really make their designs any more forward-thinking than they already are.

Get rid of the foot entirely; just have the computer float there on your desktop.

I was quite pleased that MacTracker finally added the Apple line of products to its database. I don’t care that it’s called MacTracker; not having only that part of Apple’s history was stupid.

• Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

LOL. Bromwich had a conflict on his calendar

Bromwich won't make the same mistake again.

Word has it that Bromwich already cleared out his calendar to ensure he's free on several important dates (and charged Apple for the privilege of doing so): the Apple holiday office party, Cook's birthday, Ive's birthday, Apple dividend distributions, the judge's case-settlement anniversary bash in St Moritz, etc.