Samsung, Google reach worldwide patent cross-licensing pact

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85

I wonder how this might affect Android and Tizen. Could Google use patents relating to Tizen to circumvent Oracle? Or could Samsung use patents relating to Android to beef up Tizen? Imagine if Android was crippled between the Oracle/Apple patent suits and Microsoft patent fees, and Samsung then offers Tizen as an "unencumbered" replacement to the other handset manufacturers (for a fee, of course). Stab in the back to Google?

Probably not, but…

• Reply 22 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The phrase that came to my mind was "A deal with the devil." But I couldn't figure out which was the devil...?

I see Samsung using Google's patents and coming out with their own OS that trumps Android and leave smarmy Shimts and Pages standing there with their jaws on the floor.

Well played Mack, you beat me to it. ;) 

• Reply 23 of 85

Great minds think along the same lines (or at least similar ones)

Just posted by Florian Mueller, author of the often quoted FOSS PATENTS blog: Samsung's patent deal with Google suggests concern about ability to settle with Apple soon

"As long as Samsung primarily makes Android-based devices, it doesn't need a deal with Google, or vice versa, to avoid litigation between the two. If Samsung switched to an alternative platform like Tizen, then the agreement might make a difference, but since the scope was not announced, it's possible that Google reserved the right to sue Samsung over non-Android devices."

http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/01/samsungs-patent-deal-with-google.html

• Reply 24 of 85
    The phrase that came to my mind was "A deal with the devil." But I couldn't figure out which was the devil...?

I see Samsung using Google's patents and coming out with their own OS that trumps Android and leave smarmy Shimts and Pages standing there with their jaws on the floor.

I was thinking the same thing. This is solely a deal for Samsung to indemnify themselves when they switch to Tizen.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    So Nest production goes abroad!
  • Reply 26 of 85
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    revenant wrote: »
    Samsung is a HUGE company.  it is like nokia back in the days when nokia was a huge company (making everything including tires).  Samsung has many branches and tonnes of market share and tonnes of money.  
    And look how that worked out for them.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Do No Evil, indeed...

"Do? No, evil"

• Reply 28 of 85
    marskmarsk Posts: 30member
    Ok , so that means now they can cross copy each other while they keep stealing from others for next 10 years...
  • Reply 29 of 85
    RIP HTC.
  • Reply 30 of 85

My favorite line:

Quote:

Lo's Samsung counterpart, Dr. Seungho Ahn, echoed the former's sentiment. "Samsung and Google are showing the rest of the industry that there is more to gain from cooperating than engaging in unnecessary patent disputes," he said.

Because of course, two partners in crime, who already cooperate copying everyone else, tying the not further will certainly show the rest of the industry about cooperating instead of litigating. Unbelievable.

If anything this would seem to have more to do with Samsung being able to produce and market products with Google's acquired technologies than anything else. As for Samsung's mobile unit, it may have to do with Tizen... or not. Either way, now they can look at each other's copies and compare notes.

Just pondering... :)

• Reply 31 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    patsu wrote: »
    Google should have learned to cooperate when:

* They refused to pay anyone for all the patents Android violate. Oracle's Java suit would be interesting to watch.(

Except when they pay for patent licenses.. .
    and the Oracle case isn't about patents.

* They rejected MS' offer to bid for Nortel patents together.(

That might have been true if they were asked. They weren't. You're confusing companies.
    patsu wrote: »

* They bought Motorola to sue Apple and MS over SEP patents

Yet they haven't sued Apple or Microsoft over any patents at all, much less SEP's. You're again confused, this time by old Motorola lawsuits that even predated Motorola Mobility.
    Why can't they just pay the licenses like a proper business ? It's not like they are broke.

See the first comment.

As for the Samsung/Google licensing I suspect they may not always be business partners regarding Android. When the break-up happens, and IMO it will, at least these two won't be starting a fresh round of patent battles between themselves. The bigger story is Samsung settling with Ericsson on a licensing agreement. Reports are that Sammy will be paying a 9-figure sum :wow:. Guess Samsung must be on a licensing binge.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Samsung is a HUGE company.  it is like nokia back in the days when nokia was a huge company (making everything including tires).  Samsung has many branches and tonnes of market share and tonnes of money.  

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Nokia decided to work on phones.  Samsung is continuing to make electronics of various forms, buildings, cars and what not.  they will be fine.

• Reply 33 of 85
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

So who wins in this deal? I think Samsung. As pointed out by MacBook Pro, Tizen may now be isolated from litigation. Samsung can continue to nurture it for the low end phones (as a future replacement for Android?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This is solely a deal for Samsung to indemnify themselves when they switch to Tizen.

But I also think Samsung can now significantly expand their product portfolio. Samsung Glass, anyone? Samsung makes a lot of home appliance products already, so adding Nest-like products fits in. Boston Dynamics? How about assisted living devices/robots. Google's content deals may benefit Samsung's TV line.

But Google's lawyers are smart, so I'm sure there's some benefit that Google's getting that I'm not thinking about...

• Reply 34 of 85
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I feel bad for Motorola, all their patents which have a lot more value than anything that Samsung probably has have been handed over to Samsung. Samsung was Motorola enemy as well since they stole many of Motorola's cell phone idea in the past but Motorola never went after them like Apple is doing.

Also, Motorola Solution still exist and makes two way radios, and they are still the largest in the world and gives Samsung access to all their patents so they can start duplicated what they do. In additions the Motorola home business (Now ARRIS) which does all the equipment for the video cable industry has their IP also in the mix so Samsung has been trying to break into this market for years, now they will know all the secrets.

This is whats when you have a company like Google which does not make their money from making anything other than services they do not care about the technology and what it takes to develop this stuff, they just gave it all away.

• Reply 35 of 85
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    This is about the most pointless thing ever. This might be some sort of news if these two weren't already in bed together. The only thing that I see this as is Google buying off Samsung to keep making Android phones instead of making their own mobile OS. Although, given Samsung's penchant for copying, this might come back to bite Google in the butt.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

It's not that haphazard.

Google want to play God.

Where disputes are concerned, they want to stay behind the scene without getting their hands dirty. Let Samsung, and other Android licensees do the wet work.

Where credits are concerned, they want it all. Like Microsoft buying out the major motion tracking companies, Google want to buy out all the major promising players to stop Apple's advances. Then again, the world is very big. :-)

That wasn't their choice though, it was Apple's. Apple chose to pursue those who manufacture the Android devices through the courts, rather than  Google. 

• Reply 37 of 85
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Offtopic:

I have never seen the front face of Google's Mountain View HQ, until now: The Music Project approach to I-beam art meets/function is fine. The butt-ugly 70s HP glass behind it is painful.

Neither had I. When I look at it I see Android's fragmentation. It's like they threw (up) a bunch of beams hoping they would support the building. I know art is in the yes of the beholder but this beholder thinks the building looks like it's either unfinished or an earthquake hit it.

• Reply 38 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    davidw wrote: »
    Looks like Google will soon know what you watch with your Samsung television, what food you have in your Samsung refrigerator, what time you eat dinner with your Samsung microwave, how often you do your laundry with your Samsung washer/dryer and who knows what else when Samsung imbed Google tech into their chips. And not to mention with the Nest thermostat and Android in your car, Google will know what time you wake up, what time you leave for work, what kind of car you drive, where you work, what time you leave work, what time you get home, what time you go to sleep, where you are in your home when you're home , where you go on your days off and where you like to shop. 

Time for Apple to release a new "1984" commercial with an image of Eric Schmidt on the big screen. 

I don't think Google and Samsung are in cahoots the way you envision it. Samsung never mentions Android in any of it's presentations, and did not include any of Google's native apps in the SGS 2. Plus the software in Samsung's Smart TV is not Android.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I feel bad for Motorola, all their patents which have a lot more value than anything that Samsung probably has have been handed over to Samsung. Samsung was Motorola enemy as well since they stole many of Motorola's cell phone idea in the past but Motorola never went after them like Apple is doing.

Also, Motorola Solution still exist and makes two way radios, and they are still the largest in the world and gives Samsung access to all their patents so they can start duplicated what they do. In additions the Motorola home business (Now ARRIS) which does all the equipment for the video cable industry has their IP also in the mix so Samsung has been trying to break into this market for years, now they will know all the secrets.

This is whats when you have a company like Google which does not make their money from making anything other than services they do not care about the technology and what it takes to develop this stuff, they just gave it all away.

Google bought Motorola Mobility, which is only cell phones and bluetooth devices. 2 way radios (walkie talkies) is not part of the deal nor are the set top boxes.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    On-topic:

This cross-licensing won't indemnify them from squat. It's intent will not hinder Apple or Microsoft from suing the crap out of them.

This is true. In fact, past violations are still a huge, huge liability hanging over the heads of both of these thieving companies. The piper must still be paid and this tie-up and Google's rapid series of hardware acquisitions indicates to me utter desperation and a rush to diversify beyond search advertising and Android. They are flying rapidly toward the enormous spinning rotors of a fan.