Samsung, Google reach worldwide patent cross-licensing pact

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Delete - inadvertent duplicate post
  • Reply 42 of 85
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Except when they pay for patent licenses.. .
    and the Oracle case isn't about patents.
    That might have been true if they were asked. They weren't. You're confusing companies.
    Yet they haven't sued Apple or Microsoft over any patents at all, much less SEP's. You're again confused, this time by old Motorola lawsuits that even predated Motorola Mobility.
    See the first comment.

As for the Samsung/Google licensing I suspect they may not always be business partners regarding Android. When the break-up happens, and IMO it will, at least these two won't be starting a fresh round of patent battles between themselves. The bigger story is Samsung settling with Ericsson on a licensing agreement. Reports are that Sammy will be paying a 9-figure sum :wow:. Guess Samsung must be on a licensing binge.

Google were asked to jointly bid for Novell and Nortel patents:
    http://jaxenter.com/microsoft-respond-to-google-s-nortel-and-novell-patent-accusations-37297.html

Oracle Java case was about copyright infringement. Still, it requires licensing from Oracle which google never pay up. It will be interesting to see how Oracle's appeal turn out. Words on the street are saying that Oracle will win.

Claiming Google haven't sued Apple when Motorola is a google company is wrong. In fact, they are also going to appeal in at least one case. Motorola is Google. If Google want to pull the lawsuits, they very well can ! Like how they dropped the SEP cases and settle with the EU government.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Can you patent theft?
  • Reply 44 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    patsu wrote: »

No sir, you're still not correct and remain confused.

Even Microsoft never mentioned Google being invited to join up with them on the Nortel patents. They did mention Novell tho, an entirely different company with an entirely different patent portfolio, but with no details on what the invite was supposedly about.

EDIT: I love this. Samsung trying to beat Google to market with their own version of Glass? If it happens it would have been one of the very few times I wouldn't have held it against Google to assert it's IP. Samsung is definitely a copy-bug IMO. Seeing as Google typically doesn't sue over patents they may as well license them I suppose. :\
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2014/01/133_150500.html
  • Reply 45 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

Google should have learned to cooperate when:

* They refused to pay anyone for all the patents Android violate. Oracle's Java suit would be interesting to watch.

You uh, realise they won that right? Oracle abandoned every argument other than claiming the structure of APIs should be protected by copyright. If they prevail with that argument you can expect the modern IT world to collapse into a massive patent war. iOS would infringe just as badly as Android in that case. It's a ridiculous argument but Oracle are desperate.

• Reply 46 of 85
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Samsung is definitely a copy-bug IMO. Seeing as Google typically doesn't sue over patents they may as well license them I suppose. image

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2014/01/133_150500.html

How nice, in order to make the introduction transparent, they will Call it Galaxy Glass to avoid confusion with Google Glass. /s

They sure aren't original are they.

• Reply 47 of 85
    icoco3 wrote: »
    How nice, in order to make the introduction transparent, they will Call it Galaxy Glass to avoid confusion with Google Glass. /s

They sure aren't original are they.

They give new meaning to the term "Glassholes".
  • Reply 48 of 85
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This cross-licensing won't indemnify them from squat. It's intent will not hinder Apple or Microsoft from suing the crap out of them.

Since Google and Samsung are wholly separate companies, can Apple sue them BOTH, separately, for violating a single licensed patent?

• Reply 49 of 85
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Google bought Motorola Mobility, which is only cell phones and bluetooth devices. 2 way radios (walkie talkies) is not part of the deal nor are the set top boxes.

The set-top boxes were originally included in the purchase but since then Google sold that division off for something north of $2B, but retaining the IP while extending licensing to the new owners IIRC.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    Since Google and Samsung are wholly separate companies, can Apple sue them BOTH, separately, for violating a single licensed patent?

Of course they could. Personally I doubt they'll ever sue Google tho.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Google has betrayed America by stealing apple's secrets and then allowing to leak out.  They were on the board of directors for apple and produced great collabrative work, but now they taking what isn't thiers and giving it away.  I feel like im am talking like radicalzied nutcase, but I am so angry at Google.

I think Google signed the deal at this time is to allow Samsung to use Motorola finger print patents and technology in the next S5.

• Reply 52 of 85
    Can't wait Samsung to steal the search algorithm from google, call it their own and then file patents all over it~!
  • Reply 53 of 85

Of course. Samsung has no indemnification since neither Google nor Samsung are licensors of the most valuable Apple patents.
  • Reply 54 of 85
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The phrase that came to my mind was "A deal with the devil." But I couldn't figure out which was the devil...? ....

It seems to me that the purpose is twofold. One, to present to the courts "an alternative" to having two companies sue each other over IP, while, at the same time, skirting the issue of stealing the IP of others in a desparate act to bamboozle the courts. Hopefully, that idea won't work ... but with the recent stupidity/corruption shown by our courts, who knows.

Two ... I think it's possible Google will be getting into bed with NSA in a serious way in the not too distant future. The more ability Google has to "spy" on us .... the more "attractive" they appear to the government. This, I fear, might not turn out well for us, not at all. I hope I am wrong but one thing that experience has taught me is that when two "evil" companies get together for a common purpose ... then no amount of evil doing is impossible. They are both, imho, the devil.

• Reply 55 of 85
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

But Google's lawyers are smart, so I'm sure there's some benefit that Google's getting that I'm not thinking about...

I believe Google sees this as an easy way to get into people's home with Samsung's electronics.

• Reply 56 of 85
    newbee wrote: »
    Two ... I think it's possible Google will be getting into bed with NSA in a serious way in the not too distant future.
    :rolleyes:
  • Reply 57 of 85
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Google has betrayed America by stealing apple's secrets and then allowing to leak out.  They were on the board of directors for apple and produced great collabrative work, but now they taking what isn't thiers and giving it away.  I feel like im am talking like radicalzied nutcase, but I am so angry at Google.

Do you have any idea of how a board of directors works? In general they only oversee the financial aspects of the company and determine long term objectives and broad policies. These are people that usually hold seats in multiple boards of different companies and organizations and usually only meet like 4 times a year or so, with some meeting monthly but those are the exceptions. In general they don't get to see prototype products before the launch and we know that Steve Jobs was extremely careful (to the point of obsession) of who got what information concerning the iPhone. If the board got to see what Apple was working on before the launch at all, which is very unlikely (remember as I already stated it is often the case that they hold seats in other companies or organizations), don't you think that there would have been non-disclosure-agreements involved? If Steve Jobs really believed that Eric Schmidt stole anything from him/Apple while he was on the board of directors he would have sued Schmidt personally from the moment Android came out (which would be for corporate espionage).

I see this argument often, Schmidt stole it while on the board of directors when there is no evidence supporting this and it doesn't make any sense at all if you know how a board of directors works.

• Reply 58 of 85
    davidw wrote: »
    Looks like Google will soon know what you watch with your Samsung television, what food you have in your Samsung refrigerator, what time you eat dinner with your Samsung microwave, how often you do your laundry with your Samsung washer/dryer
    On the plus side Google will also know when your house catches fire from your Samsung washing machine. It should be able to notify the authorities with their Nest fire alarms or are those things unmonitored?
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Do you have any idea of how a board of directors works? In general they only oversee the financial aspects of the company and determine long term objectives and broad policies. These are people that usually hold seats in multiple boards of different companies and organizations and usually only meet like 4 times a year or so, with some meeting monthly but those are the exceptions. In general they don't get to see prototype products before the launch and we know that Steve Jobs was extremely careful (to the point of obsession) of who got what information concerning the iPhone. If the board got to see what Apple was working on before the launch at all, which is very unlikely (remember as I already stated it is often the case that they hold seats in other companies or organizations), don't you think that there would have been non-disclosure-agreements involved? If Steve Jobs really believed that Eric Schmidt stole anything from him/Apple while he was on the board of directors he would have sued Schmidt personally from the moment Android came out (which would be for corporate espionage).

I see this argument often, Schmidt stole it while on the board of directors when there is no evidence supporting this and it doesn't make any sense at all if you know how a board of directors works.

Please explain how they get integrated Google map & Youtube on the iPhone before the first iPhone launch without knowing anything about the iPhone? And you believe that Eric T-Mole only visit to Apple HQ 4 times a year? Then Larry Page & Sergey Brin must be sneaking in Apple HQ thousand times in the past years~!

• Reply 60 of 85
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marsk View Post

Please explain how they get integrated Google map & Youtube on the iPhone before the first iPhone launch without knowing anything about the iPhone? And you believe that Eric T-Mole only visit to Apple HQ 4 times a year? Then Larry Page & Sergey Brin must be sneaking in Apple HQ thousand times in the past years~!

They were Apple designed apps, Apple bought a license from Google to use the Google Maps data and to make a Youtube app. Furthermore it was also only decided a couple of weeks before the launch of the iPhone to include a (Google) Maps app. With regards to the second part, I'm just explaining how a board of directors works. You can make what you want from the whole Eric Schmidt was on the board of directors story, that doesn't make what you make of it reality. What we do know is that their is no evidence to support the stealing hypothesis.