Notes of interest from Apple's Q1 2014 conference call

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited February 2014
Apple posted its best quarter ever on Monday, driven by its highest-ever iPhone and iPad sales, as well as one of the best Mac quarters ever. Following the company's earnings release, Apple executives took part in a conference call to discuss the quarter, and notes of interest follow.

Participating in Tuesday's call were Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, and Corporate Comptroller Luca Maestri.

Apple's iPhone business

iPhone sales growth strong year over year in Japan, thanks to launch with NTT DoCoMo in September.

Also strong growth in China, Latin America, the Middle East and Russia.

New agreement with China Mobile is a multi-year deal. Oppenheimer said that "China is an incredibly important market to Apple."

iPhone has highest loyalty rates in the industry. ChangeWave has a 96% satisfaction rate, while Kantar says iPhone has a 90% loyalty rate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114

Listening now...

• Reply 2 of 114
    Love to see how the pundits are going to spin this one.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    Big sell aftermarket
  • Reply 4 of 114
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    The biggest note of interest to me is Apple is trading $43 down in after hours trades at around $506 a share.
  • Reply 5 of 114
    I bought 10 more shared at 506
  • Reply 6 of 114

Every time Tim Cook uses the word ‘incredible’, the stock seems to drop 10 points.

Can someone please get him a speech coach?

• Reply 7 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

I bought 10 more shared at 506

Smart move. If I had the cash on hand, I'd put in a large buy at $500.

• Reply 8 of 114
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

EPS is only up because they retired shares, net revenue didn't change at all year over year.  Apple stock is now virtually the same as IBM and MSFT.  EPS growth will be manufactured by buying back shares, increase the dividend, and slowly move the stock price up.

Certainly not the worst scenario, but should be enough to get Cook fired unless Apple is happy treading water.

But my guess is we'll be treated to another year of Cook talking about all the great things in the pipeline which never seem to materialize.

• Reply 9 of 114
    The Apple team (last time I check Apple is not running from a wood box in the backyard anymore) just report the fourth largest corporate earning in any industry in any country in the world. That could get someone fired? Or some arm/chairman need to get their head examine?
  • Reply 10 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Smart move. If I had the cash on hand, I'd put in a large buy at $500.

Smart move? Only if you believe AAPL is the only stock around. If you have cash to make a large AAPL buy, there are far better choices.

• Reply 11 of 114
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Can anyone explain to me why AAPL is down 8% aftermarket? Seriously now. 

• Reply 12 of 114
    tkell31 wrote: »
    EPS is only up because they retired shares, net revenue didn't change at all year over year.  Apple stock is now virtually the same as IBM and MSFT.  EPS growth will be manufactured by buying back shares, increase the dividend, and slowly move the stock price up.

Certainly not the worst scenario, but should be enough to get Cook fired unless Apple is happy treading water.

But my guess is we'll be treated to another year of Cook talking about all the great things in the pipeline which never seem to materialize.

The Apple team (last time I check, apple is not running from a garage in the backyard anymore) just report the fourth largest corporate earning in the history of any company in any country in the world. That could get someone fired? Or some arm-chairman need to get their head examine. I have to thank the Wall Street mr idiots pushing it down. Otherwise I won't able to buy more sharers before the end of the tax year :)
  • Reply 13 of 114
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

The Apple team (last time I check, apple is not running from a garage in the backyard anymore) just report the fourth largest corporate earning in the history of any company in any country in the world. That could get someone fired? Or some arm-chairman need to get their head examine. I have to thank the Wall Street mr idiots pushing it down. Otherwise I won't able to buy more sharers before the end of the tax year image

A well trained monkey could have taken over Apple and produced better results.

• Reply 14 of 114

Looks like the iPhone 5C was weak (to Apple Standards). Just goes to show that the analysts demanding a cheap iPhone are like Jon Snow, they know nothing. One small blip on a powerhouse quarter!! Great job Apple and Tim Cook!!

• Reply 15 of 114
    Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

You got your $0.10 for today. Now shove off.

• Reply 16 of 114
    Quote:

For who? you? I think Apple would rather keep putting billions into the bank than listen to idiots like yourself.

• Reply 17 of 114
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Apple stock is now virtually the same as IBM and MSFT. 

Where the hell does this come from?  Apple had more than twice the revenue for the same period as MSFT and about twice the profit.  It's got a $200 Billion higher market cap valuation than MSFT.  Apple has more than twice as much cash as MSFT. In what world do you have a perspective that APPL is "now virtually the same as MSFT"?

Apple has over twice the market cap as IBM.  Apple reported more than twice the revenue and more than twice the profits as IBM during the same time period.  Apple finished with over $150 Billion in cash, while IBM has about 28 Billion of net debt. In what world do you have a perspective that APPL is "now virtually the same as IBM"?

Oh wait, did you mean "virtually the same as IBM and Microsoft COMBINED"?

Ok, I could maybe see that.

• Reply 18 of 114
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    It was interesting hearing Cook bulls**t his way through the answer regarding why iPhone sales are down in North America. Two words: small screen. Hat's what he would say if he could. If the iPhone 5s would have been 4.5", they would have sold 75 million. I think it's an Apple conspiracy to get the stock down to the $300's so they can buy back $150 billion in shares, and watch it soar to $800 when they release a broader range of iPhones and their new product lines. I think it's brilliant. Milking the small iPhone for all it's worth until growth stalls, and then bam, growth will return literally overnight. Just remember, these guys at Apple are a lot smarter than the folks who will bash Apple because they failed to keep growing at 50% when they're a half-trillion $ company.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

You could?

• Reply 20 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Smart move? Only if you believe AAPL is the only stock around. If you have cash to make a large AAPL buy, there are far better choices.

If one wants to own AAPL, it's a smart move to buy it when it's being pummeled by Wall Street twerps.