Apple reports $13.1B in Q1 2014 profit on record sales of 51M iPhones, 26M iPads

Comments

• Reply 81 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You just lost $40+ plus fees

I am sure it will go fluctuate over the next few days.  I am in no hurry. 

If Apple was a money loosing or speculative stock it would be one thing, but they are HUGELY PROFITABLE and nothing substantial has changed.  IOS is super sticky.  Once you touch it most don't leave. 

• Reply 82 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It did not surprise me to see the stock now down $49 in after market trading, all because of what some metric wall street made up, but hell Netflix was up 20% just because they added a few more users and lost even more money, and their future is unclear with Courts throwing out Network Neutrality.

The stock is going further down on Tim Cook stupidity.  "people with Apple products loved there devices and used them so we are happy" is not going to help here.

• Reply 83 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

I am sure it will go fluctuate over the next few days.  I am in no hurry. 

If Apple was a money loosing or speculative stock it would be one thing, but they are HUGELY PROFITABLE and nothing substantial has changed.  IOS is super sticky.  Once you touch it most don't leave. 

It's a miracle. The stock is already climbing back up.

• Reply 84 of 180

Cook just gave Icahn A LOT of ammo.  Icahn will be 3 feet up is ass for all of 2014.  

• Reply 85 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The stock is going further down on Tim Cook stupidity.  "people with Apple products loved there devices and used them so we are happy" is not going to help here.

Ignorance is bliss. You don't become a $200 Billion+ revenue corporation by being an ignorant CEO. You not buying in on Apple during the iPod phase is the true ignorance.

• Reply 86 of 180
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jack baker wrote: »
    Apple the only company that would lose 100 billion in market cap on a 10% earnings beat.  The funny think is, it was only down 5% until Cook and Oppenheimer opened their financially obtuse mouths -- that added another 5%.  I thought Cook was supposed to be a supply chain genius?  He still can't anticipate demand for iPhones this late in the product cycle?  Complete incompetence at the one thing that was supposed to be his forte.  

So how would you manage supply chain for oneoff the most valuable companies in the world? Oh what's that? No one hired you?
  • Reply 87 of 180
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Apple reported first-quarter earnings of $13.1 billion, or $14.50 a share,on $57.6 billion in revenue. During the year-ago period, Apple earned $13.1 billion, or $13.81 a share, on sales of $54.5 billion. Analysts were looking for earnings of $14.09 a share on revenue of $57.47 billion. Apple also said it sold 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million a year ago. However, many analysts were forecasting iPhone sales of as much as 55 million to 56 million units in the quarter with the 5s/5c release. I agree that it sucks we stockholders get punished for unrealistic goals set by analysts that Apple had little chance of meeting. How in the hell did they expect Apple to go from around 48 to 56 million units? SO instead of celebrating these improvements AAPL gets pounded. Now would be a great time for Apple to buy up more shares. 

• Reply 88 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

Cook just gave Icahn A LOT of ammo.  Icahn will be 3 feet up is ass for all of 2014.  

No he didn't. The stock was heavily shorted a week before the earnings announcement.

• Reply 89 of 180
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    herbapou wrote: »

Could be worse, people could actually listen to yours.
  • Reply 90 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Buying opportunities like this should be taken advantage of... When a drop is irrational, buy on the irrationality.

This works for all stocks except AAPL. This is an incredibly irrational stock. Everyone knows it should be higher but it's a circus and has been that way for over a year.

• Reply 91 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple reported first-quarter earnings of $13.1 billion, or $14.50 a share,on $57.6 billion in revenue. During the year-ago period, Apple earned $13.1 billion, or $13.81 a share, on sales of $54.5 billion. Analysts were looking for earnings of $14.09 a share on revenue of $57.47 billion. Apple also said it sold 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million a year ago. However, many analysts were forecasting iPhone sales of as much as 55 million to 56 million units in the quarter with the 5s/5c release. I agree that it sucks we stockholders get punished for unrealistic goals set by analysts that Apple had little chance of meeting. How in the hell did they expect Apple to go from around 48 to 56 million units? SO instead of celebrating these improvements AAPL gets pounded. Now would be a great time for Apple to buy up more shares. 

I'll repeat myself:

Quote:

This is classic market manipulation. They took the tentative figures projected with the China Mobile deal and back-filled for this quarter, raise the requirements, while shorting the hell out of the stock, so when it falls they actually make money on the amount of it dropping.

• Reply 92 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

This works for all stocks except AAPL. This is an incredibly irrational stock. Everyone knows it should be higher but it's a circus.

In 5 minutes if I had bought 5 minutes prior I've just made $2+ per share.

Make that nearly $3 per share now.

• Reply 93 of 180
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

DOOMED.

Gay people are doomed?

• Reply 94 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This post of yours finally cemented my decision to block you. Your comments aren't worth reading.

• Reply 95 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I already wear glasses.

So, tell me. How far did Apple's margins drop QoQ and YoY?

.7% yoy ... which is plenty when you also consider that margins dropped last year as well.

The question becomes... "when will margins hold steady or rise?".

As I said... to Wall Street, Apple is all about margins.

• Reply 96 of 180

It’s just silly to read about the constant claims of ‘stock manipulation’ in these forums.

Give up, guys. Stock prices are all about expectations. If you don’t meet them, your stock will, in all likelihood, fall. You can’t legislate or wish away how people form their expectations for the future. Cook and Oppenheimer have a job to manage expectations, if they think it’s too optimistic or pessimistic. For better or worse – typically for worse – they never do.

If it’s not something you like, you should stay out of the stock market. It’s really as simple as that.

• Reply 97 of 180
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's a miracle. The stock is already climbing back up.
    My guess is tomorrow afternoon the stock won't be down as much as it is now. Right now is an overreaction to iPhone numbers IMO.
  • Reply 98 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Ignorance is bliss. You don't become a $200 Billion+ revenue corporation by being an ignorant CEO. You not buying in on Apple during the iPod phase is the true ignorance.

BTW Apple old days of double digit growth are from a different CEO that was a lot more aggressive than the current one.  I am sure TC was very good at operations during that time, but he is playing it "safe" now, like the good operation guy he is.

• Reply 99 of 180
    Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

I thought Cook was supposed to be a supply chain genius?  He still can't anticipate demand for iPhones this late in the product cycle?  Complete incompetence at the one thing that was supposed to be his forte.  

Or, maybe, just maybe, you don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about.

• Reply 100 of 180
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"Shares of Apple fell nearly 6 percent after the results were first revealed Monday afternoon. Market expectations called for Apple to post $58 billion in revenues..."

Of course, Wall Street sets their own expectations, ignoring Apple's guidance, as if that guidance has no bearing or credibility. If Wall Street accepted Apple's guidance, then they'd be VERY happy with the result. That is, Apple finished very, very close to the top of their guidance. Which was this (from the Q4 2013 call):

Apple provided the following guidance for its fiscal 2014 first quarter:

• revenue between $55 billion and $58 billion (they posted $57.6 Bn ffs!)

• gross margin between 36.5 percent and 37.5 percent (actual: 37.9. Slightly better than expected)

• operating expenses between $4.4 billion and $4.5 billion

• other income/(expense) of $200 million

• tax rate of 26.25 percent

It really looks to me like Apple nailed the guidance. Again. Wall Street "analysts" really need to take note! And stop manipulating the stock!

For one reason or another, Apple is always conservative on providing guidance.  The market is expecting Apple to exceed the guidance by a good amount and it reflected in the price.  Once that expectation was not met, the stock price tanks.  This game has been played like this for so many quarters.  Nothing new.