Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    emesemes Posts: 239member

I've seen as many people with Windows Phones as I have with 5c's

• Reply 22 of 187
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Actually, what it shows is that Apple customers want something that's better and are willing to pay more for it. Tim listened too much to the idiots on Wall Street, provided a quality phone that cost less, and gets reamed when people want to spend more. This helped Apple's bottom line and fantastic sales but Wall Street just doesn't get it.

For those people who want an iPhone for free, wake up and be willing to pay for what it's worth. If you want something free, get a Samsung phone and deal with it's lack of quality.

Pretty much. Apple has always said that it only makes sense to have a different price point if you have a different feature set. Jobs would always bring up the iPod shuffle to make that point. I think Cook has too. Aluminum vs. plastic isn't a meaningful choice. Presumably the mistake here was thinking they'd sell a bigger percentage of this "new" phone than if they'd sold last years phone, but they didn't.

• Reply 23 of 187
    Apple scraps crazy-popular products (see iPod nano), so there's no reason for them not to scrap a not-so-popular product.
  • Reply 24 of 187
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is something Apple can easily rectify. They can lower the price, they can change colors, or they can scrap it all together. They tried something and it apparently didn't work out the way they expected. Everyone who hated the idea of Apple building a plastic phone should be happy now because you probably won't see another one (other than the current 5C replacing the 4S when new phones come out).
  • Reply 25 of 187
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

If your flagship production is constrained by the process, machining and finishing, then it makes sense to look at alternatives that are less process intensive. In the case of the 5c, a few color changes in the mix (more muted) and a bit better pricing would have probably made a difference in sales.

Until we have an idea on how many were sold, it's hard to describe it as a failure. More than likely, almost any manufacturer but Samsung or Apple would have been happy with the sales volume, if not the ASP.

My opinion is that it was a necessary experiment, and, the data says that the Apple demographic prefers a premium build. So, Apple will go back to it's previous pattern of discounting previous models.

• Reply 26 of 187
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is something Apple can easily rectify. They can lower the price, they can change colors, or they can scrap it all together. They tried something and it apparently didn't work out the way they expected. Everyone who hated the idea of Apple building a plastic phone should be happy now because you probably won't see another one (other than the current 5C replacing the 4S when new phones come out).

I agree.  Come this fall, I think the 5c will stick around as the entry-level iPhone, and Apple will release two new iPhone 6 models - 4.7" & 5.5".

• Reply 27 of 187
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Sog35 will not like this.:p

[SIZE=2](Sorry Sog, had to rag you just a little bit, all in fun)[/SIZE]
  • Reply 28 of 187
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Apple believes that if they build it, the customers will come. This business model is inherently arrogant but clearly works when the company sets a high engineering/design bar. But no model/philosophy works 100% of the time. Just as Apple didn't hit a home run this one time, the "I told you so" crowd simply got lucky and guessed right for once. 

Maybe so, but IMO a lot of the naysayers intuitively thought going back to plastic was a 'down grade' or at least not position correctly on price/market placement this time around. As soon as Sir Jon said he was unapologetic about the plastic... he was essentially being... apologetic. Next year lower the price once more and perhaps add in some 'mainstream' colors... I imagine it could do very well. AND offer a bigger screen... just that many more who prefer that. IMO, there is only so much more hardware tech that can be added to these devices anyways that would make it a 'must have that'. Just me, but I would like to see much enhanced Apple services/icloud etc than more hardware tech.

• Reply 29 of 187
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Also, the comparison to teh 4/4S is meaningless, because I am sure Apple sold a higher percentage of 5C's as a share of the total, than they did 4's as a share of the total when the 4S came out.

Well, it’s not meaningless, but I don’t think you’re wrong. Thing is, how do we know?

• Reply 30 of 187
    There was a time when Apple used plastic cases on everything including their top of the line PowerBook and Power Mac G4. Now plastic is low-rent.
  • Reply 31 of 187

I like the 5c form factor. If it had identical internals to the 5s (including touch ID) I'd have seriously considered one. I'd have maybe preferred a different color selection though. 

I suspect we'll be getting a 6c just like that (a 5s in plastic clothing).... but then I'll want the 6s, so, nothing really changes for me! :D

It doesn't mean the 5c "sucks". It's better than the original 5 was internally. Really it's only about the "shell", and IMO that wasn't the only reason the 5s did better than expected. The 5s is just that good! Who wouldn't pop for the extra $100 if they could?

51 million iPhones is 51 million iPhones. A new record, and honestly who cares if the 5c wasn't quite as "robust" as expected. It certainly didn't hold them back! Nor was it a "flop" if it ended up driving sales to the more premium device. Mhm... think about it...

• Reply 32 of 187
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well that's what you get for listening to Wall St, Jobs was right, ignore them they know jack shit about running a business like Apple.

Need a cheaper iPhone, my arse.
  • Reply 33 of 187
    togantogan Posts: 16member
    I think the 5c would of done so much better in colored metal (iPod touch style). The plastic backed cheaper option I can't see continuing but if there were colored metal options without touch ID and sold at similar pricing to 5C I would have concided buying. Perhaps this option will be available 2014.
  • Reply 34 of 187
    It simply doesn't have the Wow factor people came to associate with Apple. It looks cheap. It is too polite. It was not made with passion...
  • Reply 35 of 187
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook declined to say what Apple is planning to do in the future with its mid-range, plastic-backed iPhone. However, the CEO did not rule out the possibility of making a change to its lineup down the road.

lower the price....

• Reply 36 of 187
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well that's what you get for listening to Wall St, Jobs was right, ignore them they know jack shit about running a business like Apple.

Except the cheap phone was not cheap...  they tried to sell it at a premium price... fail

• Reply 37 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    hill60 wrote: »

It wasn't cheaper than their previous cheap options ( ie last years model). In fact that was why the stick dropped on the announcement of the 5C.
  • Reply 38 of 187
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vlscout View Post

scrapping it would be a mistake. just lower the price by 100 dollars and see what happens. lower it another 50 later and roll up emerging markets.

Yeah, I think the way to go is make it the lowest priced model, not the mid-price.  Whether it is cheap or not the plastic casing has to make it seem cheap.  The increased margins seem like they would be worth pursuing at a different price point so when the 4S is retired the 5C might get more appealing…or it might not, but seems miscast as the mid-level entry.

• Reply 39 of 187
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Except the cheap phone was not cheap...  they tried to sell it at a premium price... fail

IT WAS NOT A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT MARKETED AS A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CHEAP PHONE.

What, will we still be saying this a year later? Get it through your skulls. Come on.

• Reply 40 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    IT WAS NOT A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT MARKETED AS A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CHEAP PHONE.

What, will we still be saying this a year later? Get it through your skulls. Come on.

Yeah that's what he said. The cheap phone wasn't cheap.

It just looked cheap.