Apple TV gains its own shopping category in Apple's online store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
The most recent update to Apple's online store brought more than just Valentine's Day deals, as the company's Apple TV set-top streamer was promoted from accessory to top-level product category -- fueling speculation that the box may soon see a major update.

Valentines

Formerly grouped with the slumping iPod lineup, the Apple TV now shares top billing with its own "Shop Apple TV" entry in the store's topmost navigation menu. Like its siblings, the Apple TV's section featured dedicated areas for the device itself, accessories, and customer message boards alongside a dedicated slot in the store's refurbished section.

Whispers of a pending hardware and software refresh that would bring new capabilities to the device have grown steadily louder in recent days, as many now believe Apple will not attempt to push an Apple-branded television set but instead expand its living room push with a model similar to the current Apple TV.

Last week, a report surfaced indicating that Apple may be working on a gaming-focused update for the set-top box. The update would bring support for iOS games and Bluetooth game controllers alongside a possible fourth-generation hardware platform.

In addition to entirely new features like gaming, Apple is also believed to be working to add more live television content to the device. The company has reportedly been involved negotiations with content owners like ESPN and HBO in a bid to bypass traditional cable operators, and some have said Apple may be willing to become a virtual cable company themselves to complete the deals.

Apple's $360 million acquisition of Israeli computer vision startup PrimeSense is also seen as a stepping stone toward a new Apple TV product. Many Apple watchers believe PrimeSense's gesture recognition technology would form the basis of a new method of interacting with the product.

Monday's promotion could be a sign that such an update is imminent. A new rumor from 9to5Mac suggests that this is the case, and that Apple may be planning to combine the Apple TV with the AirPort Express wireless router which last saw a refresh in 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've been living with Apple TVs about 3 years now and the main complaint i've got about it is boy do I hate that included remote. While the remote looks nice and makes a great first impression, the initial "wow it's so tiny, and it's aluminium" honeymoon period eventually wears off and the grim reality of the fact that it not only is crappy old IR technology, but additionally has a miserably-narrow and somewhat weak signal band for an IR remote sets in.

And don't get me started on that "remote app". By the time I've actually gotten the app opened I'm bored. Apple needs to produce a decent bluetooth keyboard remote. And I'm mean ASAP! And no, I'm not talking about Apple's bluetooth keyboard on my sofa or ottoman. I'm talking about something along the lines of this:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37862/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Even as an optional extra I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat. Perhaps this is a good Kickstarted project for someone? Because if I knew the first thing to do and had the facilities I'd be producing the blasted thing. Sadly this Boxee remote will not work with the Apple TV :-(
  • Reply 2 of 107
    I don't have any problems with the remote, how far away are you using it? The next room?
  • Reply 3 of 107
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    My remote app works great...
  • Reply 4 of 107

Hate the navigation buttons on the remote. Too easy to mis hit. I like the design/feel of the remote.

My biggest issue that when Airplaying from my brand new iMac to my brand new appletv via my brand new Airport extreme (all direct wired), the mouse on the iMac becomes extremely unresponsive. 

It's tolerable when playing a movie but would be useless for any sort of interactive presentation. A reboot solves the issue for a short period and it reappears again fairly quickly.

• Reply 5 of 107
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I agree with Ireland

• Reply 6 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ireland wrote: »
    I've been living with Apple TVs about 3 years now and the main thing i've got to say about it is boy do I hate that included remote. While the remote looks nice and makes a great first impression, the initial "wow it's so tiny, and it's aluminium" honeymoon period eventually wears off and the grim reality of the fact that it not only is crappy old IR technology, but additionally has a miserably-narrow and somewhat weak signal band for an IR remote.

And don't get me started on that "remote app". By the time I've actually gotten the app opened I'm bored. Apple needs to produce a decent bluetooth remote, and I'd go so far as to say they should additionally produce a bluetooth-keyboard-remote for Apple TV an an optional extra.

I'm glad to see probably the best 'hobby' Apple ever had, graduate. I like the remote but I wish it were wifi not line of sight as I have my main Apple TV behind a glass fronted door and if the angle the remote is held is not straight on it doesn't work very well. Plus as I use it to send iTunes music through the living room's Hi-Fi system so being able to control from anywhere would be very useful. Now, if a phone rings I have to run to be right in front of the Apple TV to lower the volume.
  • Reply 7 of 107

yeah I'm not completely against the remote app... It pulls up the keyboard when needed and works well with navigating, although I'm sure they can mirror the tv screen on your phone so you can just tap the channel you wanna watch...

• Reply 8 of 107
    it could just be they want to highlight the product more due to the decline in iPod sales, and I'm sure what must be lower numbers of visitors to that part of the site. The rumours regarding the refresh are rather intriguing though. I can see gaming capabilities finding place in the living room, for example during family gatherings at Xmas when traditionally board games appear.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Hate the navigation buttons on the remote. Too easy to mis hit. I like the design/feel of the remote.

My biggest issue that when Airplaying from my brand new iMac to my brand new appletv via my brand new Airport extreme (all direct wired), the mouse on the iMac becomes extremely unresponsive. 

It's tolerable when playing a movie but would be useless for any sort of interactive presentation. A reboot solves the issue for a short period and it reappears again fairly quickly.

I am actually new to being able to use Airplay. Till my new Mac Pro arrived late December my MBP was pre Airplay. So, I had always used Air Parrot as a third party stand in. Strange thing is I have now gone back to using Air Parrot on the new Mac Pro quite a lot, rather than Air Play as I find it is far better in many cases. Not least of which is anything that has DRM and not allowed to be played Via Apple TV works no problem with Air Parrot. I too notice some weird stuff on the Mac when Air Play is in use which doesn't happen with Air Parrot. I am not saying it's better for all uses and occasions, but certainly having Air Parrot is worth the few $s it costs. I just wish the makers of Air Parrot had an iPad version for all those pesky shows that say 'Not allowed' when you try to stream them to the Apple TV..
  • Reply 10 of 107
    Hmmmm. March event anyone?
  • Reply 11 of 107
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

By the time I've actually gotten the app opened I'm bored. 

You really want to brag about that? Sounds like my Labradoodle has more maturity than you.;)

• Reply 12 of 107
    nitewing98 wrote: »
    I don't have any problems with the remote, how far away are you using it? The next room?

I wish I could! Give me a Wi-Fi Apple TV Remote please. When I have an Apple TV playing music very loud over the Hi-Fi system and I am in another room and the phone rings or FedEx are at the door with yet another box from Amazon, heck yes I'd like to be able to hit pause, mute or at least lower the volume with a remote from wherever I am.
  • Reply 13 of 107

This obviously portends something big and new. As noted above, a March event.

And, I agree 100% with Ireland. After a while both the AppleTV remote and app are just cute and annoying more than anything else. Do better, Apple!

• Reply 14 of 107
    gqb wrote: »
    You really want to brag about that? Sounds like my Labradoodle has more maturity than you.

LOL I'm trying to imagine what a Labradoodle looks like. I don't know about being bored, but using an iPhone or iPad as an Apple TV remote seems overkill to me for most occasions. I admit to having the Remote apps but other than if i have to do a lot of setting up and signing in, I don't use them.
  • Reply 15 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

The same room as I'm using my other IR remote that never fails. Would you not prefer a bluetooth remote?

• Reply 16 of 107
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm ready to cash in my 75 dollar Apple Store credit for buying an iPad Air on Black Friday.

Bought my Gen 3 Apple TV when it launched a couple of years ago in March and it has gotten a LOT of use.

I think that it's time for an Apple TV app store. I don't just want games I want news, podcasts and more coming from 3rd party.

Integrating an 11ac router would be awesome because it can extend your network to every room that has a display. It also reduces the need to be redundant with an Airport Express and Apple TV.

I'd like BT control of Apple TV via iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch rather than wifi. I'd like a new UI that mirrors the Apple TV display to your Mac or iOS device.

I'd like higher bit-rate support for audio (24/96)

I'd like Siri control of the Apple TV if you have a Siri enabled iOS device.

I'd like synchronization of audio across all Apple TV
  • Reply 17 of 107
    hmurchison wrote: »
    I'm ready to cash in my 75 dollar Apple Store credit for buying an iPad Air on Black Friday.

Bought my Gen 3 Apple TV when it launched a couple of years ago in March and it has gotten a LOT of use.

I think that it's time for an Apple TV app store. I don't just want games I want news, podcasts and more coming from 3rd party.

Integrating an 11ac router would be awesome because it can extend your network to every room that has a display. It also reduces the need to be redundant with an Airport Express and Apple TV.

I'd like BT control of Apple TV via iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch rather than wifi. I'd like a new UI that mirrors the Apple TV display to your Mac or iOS device.

I'd like higher bit-rate support for audio (24/96)

I'd like Siri control of the Apple TV if you have a Siri enabled iOS device.

I'd like synchronization of audio across all Apple TV

I wonder if Siri would be able to hear me shouting 'Turn the volume down!' over Led Zeppelin at full volume? :D

I hear you on the sync. I always explain to guests that the fractional delay between Apple TV's (on during house parties), is a deliberate effect to add 3D depth to the music ... :smokey:
  • Reply 18 of 107
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Apple needs to buy the Harmony remote division from Logitech or introduce something similar on their own. Their Smart Harmony remote turns your iPhone or iPad into a fantastic universal remote. 

• Reply 19 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanF508 View Post

it could just be they want to highlight the product more due to the decline in iPod sales.

It's not that at all. I think they are taking the little box to App Store status this March and are building anticipation, attention and hype.

• Reply 20 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You really want to brag about that? Sounds like my Labradoodle has more maturity than you.;)

I don't know what you are talking about. It's a bad TV experience. I know John Gruber doesn't like the remote app either. The whole thing is too fiddly. It needs to be hardware.