Apple's Tim Cook hints at expanded mobile payment strategy and more for Touch ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

Its a given that touchID will be used for purchases at some point and its probably not that far off. The 5S is a test to discover any flaws or improvements necessary with touchID before it goes mainstream.

• Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I used to think the same thing until I learned you scan a finger in more than once. I have each finger scanned in twice, and I rarely see Try Again thanks to that.

Dunno.  Have one finger scanned three separate times and only works occasionally.  

• Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

Depending on the iPhone 6, if it doesn't impress me, I won't be buying another iPhone. Touch ID is awesome, and if they added a cursor to it, it would be 10 times better, of course with a bigger screen and new features.

A cursor onscreen is the most idiotic thing I have heard this year...

DA FUK you want to put mouse-like controls on a touchscreen device??

This would be as bad like putting a touchscreen on a laptop. It doesn't work.

• Reply 24 of 40

Did Tim Cook really drop a hint about payment?

Lest we forget, pundits also thought he dropped a hint about all sorts of new product categories in fall of 2013. We got great new generations of existing products, but no new product categories. Furthermore, he has been saying for quite some time now, "TV is an interesting area" or "Wearables are interesting." 

Lest we forget part 2: Payment platform is a service, an area where Google eats Apple for lunch.

Lest we forget part 3: TouchID is the most successful and most widely deployed fingerprint identification system out there. Having said this, it fails intermittently (those who argue otherwise are just dishonest and/or ignorant). Improvement may be needed to avoid fumbling to re-calibrate when paying for purchases just before Xmas, with 200 people behind you.

Watch for rumours to multiple as we hear next about big name banking executives being recruited by Apple.

• Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Its a given that touchID will be used for purchases at some point and its probably not that far off. The 5S is a test to discover any flaws or improvements necessary with touchID before it goes mainstream.

Umm ... it is already being used for purchases. 

• Reply 26 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Did Tim Cook really drop a hint about payment?

Lest we forget, pundits also thought he dropped a hint about all sorts of new product categories in fall of 2013. We got great new generations of existing products, but no new product categories. Furthermore, he has been saying for quite some time now, "TV is an interesting area" or "Wearables are interesting." 

Lest we forget part 2: Payment platform is a service, an area where Google eats Apple for lunch.

Lest we forget part 3: TouchID is the most successful and most widely deployed fingerprint identification system out there. Having said this, it fails intermittently (those who argue otherwise are just dishonest and/or ignorant). Improvement may be needed to avoid fumbling to re-calibrate when paying for purchases just before Xmas, with 200 people behind you.

Watch for rumours to multiple as we hear next about big name banking executives being recruited by Apple.

Apple has an advantage over google. They already do payments fine. They already have my credit card. All they have to do is bill me both virtual and real goods at the same time. Google is getting a bad rap for privacy. It has far fewer credit cards.

And payments is where "owning the whole widget" is a winner. Who would own the revenues in an Android sale? Samsung or Google?

What would stop Samsung rolling its own payments system ( with its inevitable touch ID rip off?). I mean whatever API Samsung use this year won't be stock Android as Android doesn't have any touch ID yet. The Android payments market will fragment. Each vendor will roll their own. Well, high end vendors.

Google won't get any money.

This is why I am optimistic re Apple long term.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    achillies7 wrote: »
    Depending on the iPhone 6, if it doesn't impress me, I won't be buying another iPhone. Touch ID is awesome, and if they added a cursor to it, it would be 10 times better, of course with a bigger screen and new features.

Do you promise that you will never buy another iPhone?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Sadly, I must agree with you.
    Having owned almost all models of iPhone,  I feel iPhone has become boring, stale even.
    Seems like Apple is now mostly concerned with milking and defending its past achievements instead of developing exciting, new gadgets.
    Oh, well... 

So please tell me what earth shattering innovations you're seeing on competitors. Bigger screen? OMG!!
    Eye tracking? Get me my fainting salts!,

Typical sophomoric whining.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple has an advantage over google. They already do payments fine. They already have my credit card. All they have to do is bill me both virtual and real goods at the same time. Google is getting a bad rap for privacy. It has far fewer credit cards.

That is a good point. To be fair, iTunes is one service that Apple can be proud of, notwithstanding complaints about the iTunes app being too bloated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

And payments is where "owning the whole widget" is a winner. Who would own the revenues in an Android sale? Samsung or Google?

A source of contention to be sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

But they don't want or need to. Neither does Apple. For both companies, implementing a payment platform is not a means to duplicate or compete with banks and credit card companies, and to derive revenue from it. It is an inevitable inclusion of services. If one mobile platform includes payment services, so must others. They are not going to get any meaningful revenue because that's not the goal.

• Reply 30 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I think Apple could make money. To begin with people could use their credit cards - with most of the revenue going to cc companies. Later they could use debit cards or just bill people at the end of the month - become credit card company, charging interest, or a retailer fee ( after they get established) or both.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    mykey wrote: »
    A cursor onscreen is the most idiotic thing I have heard this year...
    DA FUK you want to put mouse-like controls on a touchscreen device??

This would be as bad like putting a touchscreen on a laptop. It doesn't work.

It's very hard to click certain things if you have bigger hands? So why not just add it if you could.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Do you promise that you will never buy another iPhone?

Yes, obviously if I don't like the iPhone 6, why would I buy another one... What type of question is that? Apple makes great products but they need to come out with much new features.
  • Reply 33 of 40

What a waste this "feature" is -- I have NO interest in using biometrics, still have not used it once.  NO THANKS NSAPPLE!

How about adding a truly useful feature instead, like Nextel style Direct Connect walkie talkie functionality with a dedicated yet programmable talk button on the side of the device?!  Now THAT I would USE!  Not to mention so many businesses!  

• Reply 34 of 40
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

How about adding a truly useful feature instead, like Nextel style Direct Connect walkie talkie functionality with a dedicated yet programmable talk button on the side of the device?!

Because they don’t feel like adding a button that won’t be used non-accidentally by anyone not on a worksite?

• Reply 35 of 40
    1. It’s a phone.
    2. It’s a touchscreen.
    3. Come off it with the false concern.

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

Lol! Love the riposte.

It's such a standard troll attack to call the iPhone stale. It may be manna from heaven, but I wouldn't call it stale right now.
  • Reply 36 of 40

For the last few years and for the most Android operating system's lifetime, advanced Audi Bluetooth, IPod car kit, Volvo Bluetooth has easily been your best bet for connecting an Android phone to most newer-model vehicles and transforms our vehicles with latest versions and modern look. Carputer-shop.co.uk has wide variety of modules and interfaces that install easily tuck away discreetly and can be configured to meet a wide variety of requirements. Additionally, we offer specialty tools and accessories that facilitate the quick and simple installation of more advanced OEM applications in newer-model vehicles. We are a highly skilled team of professionals focused on providing the correct information and highest quality Mazda android, Toyota Bluetooth, iPod car interface products to people interested in connecting their iPods to the car.

We have grown beyond our wildest dreams, our goal to provide distributors, dealers and installers with the latest products, solutions, support and training necessary to satisfy the needs of their customers. We offer solutions including car iPod integration, USB car interface, I phone car interface, Honda android for almost every vehicle manufacturer and aftermarket radios. Our smart-search technology ensures that all of Ipod Car Adapter it displays are compatible with your vehicle. Each vehicle-specific with advanced latest technology to provide a seamless connection between your iPod or I Phone and the factory-installed, satellite-ready radios in many cars and SUV’s. With more and more automobiles rolling off the factory line with advanced network systems built in for safety, entertainment, navigation, communication and convenience, the task of retaining factory features while replacing a old versions and has become absolutely essential. Today we are literally bigger and better than ever before. We've been with you for years, and we look forward to doing business with you for future. Our representatives are highly trained and are here to assist you with any questions you may have.

• Reply 37 of 40
    asdasd wrote: »

What would stop Samsung rolling its own payments system ( with its inevitable touch ID rip off?). I mean whatever API Samsung use this year won't be stock Android as Android doesn't have any touch ID yet. The Android payments market will fragment. Each vendor will roll their own. Well, high end vendors.

This is why I am optimistic re Apple long term.

Very well thought out; I hadn't considered that Google/Samsung problem with mobile payments.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

Yes, obviously if I don't like the iPhone 6, why would I buy another one... What type of question is that? Apple makes great products but they need to come out with much new features.

congrats on having the lamest and least intelligent post this week on AI. Although liberty is running right there with you.

Quite an accomplishment considering all the low life, mangy droid dork trolls roaming this vicinity.

• Reply 39 of 40
    Lots of trolls aren't there here.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    imageatimageat Posts: 1member

my phone has this function : to read barcode in word, it is kind of like word barcode add-in, cool one. is it compatible with iphone 5.