Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 187
    You, 2008.

Sorry that was not me in 2008. That is one of your many famous tag lines though. You better sit in a tub of ice to keep cool when they announce the new iPhone.
  • Reply 142 of 187
    Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

Sorry that was not me in 2008. That is one of your many famous tag lines though. You better sit in a tub of ice to keep cool when they announce the new iPhone.

No, see, people said the exact same thing in 2008. “When”, despite it being no more than a joke.

Again, I’d be willing to buy an unusably large iPhone to prove it such.

• Reply 143 of 187
    No, see, people said the exact same thing in 2008. “When”, despite it being no more than a joke.

Again, I’d be willing to buy an unusably large iPhone to prove it such.

I know what you meant but buying something for the sole purpose to discredit society does not work since that is your opinion, which you are entitled to.
  • Reply 144 of 187
    Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

I know what you meant but buying something for the sole purpose to discredit society does not work since that is your opinion, which you are entitled to.

When it’s a physical impossibility, it becomes more than an opinion.

• Reply 145 of 187

It also true the cost and efforts put into making this product was not cheap, the plastic casing was not a cheap plastic either. But this time Apple have to realize the market expectation and the market appraisal, at what level a consumer is willing to pay for a certain product. Market perception was a telling that is was a "plastic" anyway and will not be paying it at a $100 lower while a 5s model was a better choice, so I would rather dig in $100 more to get the 5s and forget about the "plastic" 5c. Now put the 5c down $150 lower and see the market reaction...

• Reply 146 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jchambers View Post

I didn't buy the 5s because of a fascination with Touch ID. Initially I wasn't interested in the phone because that feature didn't really interest me. I think the folks at Apple are a lot more excited about the potential of Touch ID than your average consumer is, because they can see where they want to take it next. Plus, they need to market with a tangible "star" feature, rather than the best features, like 64 bit & a co-motion sensor, because that stuff is just too esoteric for your average consumer.

The average consumer is obviously as excited as Apple about Touch ID considering the 5S was the sales star, showing people preferred the 5S to the 5c. It may not have appealed to you, but it obviously appealed to everyone else.

Perhaps it depends on where you live, but in most places I know, the number one stolen items are iPads and iPhones. Now, most people don't use the passcode protection because it's inconvenient, and most who do, just use a 4 digit code for easier access when you're putting that code in 40 times a day, which is a lot less secure than a long code because anyone looking at you can easily learn your code (I know from experience). Touch ID solved both of those problems for everyone with a single Touch of your finger. From my own personal experience, it works like a charm, and everyone I know personally who has it, loves it, and those that don't, want it. Combined with iOS 7's security features, it's really quite the uncomplicated security solution for the average Joe, one which is not easily circumvented (everything is possible with the right tools, of course, but it's not easily done).

It's not just a "tangible 'star' feature", but a truly fantastic, absurdly appealing, easy to use feature worthy of the marketing hype. It's not just what Apple sees for its future, but what the consumer sees in the present. Touch ID also, already allows you to skip having to enter your Apple ID every time to make purchases. The present is awesome, the future even better.

Quote:

rather than the best features, like 64 bit & a co-motion sensor

These might be the best features for a developer to make their app slightly more efficient or to use a single 64-bit codebase in Xcode for both iOS and the Mac and really push the iPhone once the it has enough addressable RAM (still less than 4GB as of the 5S), and the co-motion sensor might improve performance for an app or two, but the truth is they're not the "best features" for the average consumer. They're not esoteric, it's just the average consumer could care less as long as the iPhone performs well, fast enough, with good battery life, and is so easy to use, you can access your locked, secure phone with just a touch of your finger. It's not that they're not cool features and the press (and Samsung) have gone a bit apeshit over the 64-bit, but a 32-bit would have been just as good for the current iPhone's internals and for the average consumer. It's not like the iPhone 5(c) didn't perform well running the top of the line games and apps.

On the other hand, Apple obviously sees the 64-bit as not only moving forward towards more powerful devices, but taking the advantages of 64-bit to offer better battery life and other optimizations that simply make the product better. It also allows Apple to support a single codebase across all devices in the future. It's already been moving towards standardizing on software feature parity and use, and two new iPhones from now, everything Apple supports can be supported from a single, 64-bit codebase in Xcode. It's a good start, but not the "best" feature.

Just pondering... :)

• Reply 147 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I like the some of the anostyle ones:

https://www.anostyle.com/gallery

If they pick the right colors with iPhone 5 parts, they'd be nice. That crimson red one looks great IMO.

That crimson red one would have definitely been a cool Product RED iPhone 5S. I would have happily even paid extra for it, though I'm happy with my silver one. :)

• Reply 148 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d be willing to buy a larger screened iPhone to prove how unusable it is. *shrug*

R-R-R-I-I-I-G-G-G-H-H-H-T-T-T.  *smirk*

• Reply 149 of 187
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d be willing to buy a larger screened iPhone to prove how unusable it is. *shrug*

Apple should have already released a bigger iPhone at this point, unfortunately they were wasting time on developing this pos plastic phone.   Sir Ive has laid a very big egg.   Apple is even falling falling behind Samsung on watch development,

For the rest of the product year, Apple should just drop the 4S and sell the 5c for $100 less to see if their playschool phone starts selling.   At that price it would be a good value (even if not as appealing or innovative as the Moto X with the MotoMaker).   They should have 3 phones in their line up now (4inch 5s, 4inch 5c at $200 less, and 5.6 inch 5x at $100 more starting at 32 GB) 

Apple still hasn't released a bug free iOS 7.xx.  The  board desperately needs to bring Forestal back before Google or Microsoft hires him.

• Reply 150 of 187
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    k2kw wrote: »
    Apple should have already released a bigger iPhone at this point...

Ummm, they did.
  • Reply 151 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post

The average consumer is obviously as excited as Apple about Touch ID considering the 5S was the sales star, showing people preferred the 5S to the 5c. It may not have appealed to you, but it obviously appealed to everyone else.

Is the 5s more popular compared to the 5c and 4s than the iPhone 5 was relative to the 4s and 4?

• Reply 152 of 187
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

R-R-R-I-I-I-G-G-G-H-H-H-T-T-T.  *smirk*

Fine. Don’t believe me. That’s your problem.

Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Apple should have already released a bigger iPhone at this point

Sure they should have¡

…pos plastic phone.

Sure it is¡

Apple is even falling falling behind Samsung on watch development,

Shut up.

For the rest of the product year, Apple should just drop the 4S and sell the 5c for $100 less to see if their playschool phone starts selling.

Shut. Up. The iPhone 5C has sold better than the iPhone 4S did in its position a year ago. It’s selling better than the 4S now, too. You’re an idiot, you don’t care about reading the information presented, shut up.

(even if not as appealing or innovative as the Moto X with the MotoMaker).

Shut up. It’s not supposed to be “innovative”. It’s last year’s phone. And it still runs circles around that nonsense.

5.6 inch 5x…

You’re insane. No one wants that nonsense.

Apple still hasn't released a bug free iOS 7.xx.

Nor will they ever. Because that’s physically impossible. But you couldn’t care less, because all you want to do is lie.

• Reply 153 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Is the 5s more popular compared to the 5c and 4s than the iPhone 5 was relative to the 4s and 4?

All numbers are speculative because Apple doesn't release specific numbers for each model, but Tim Cook's comment that the 5c sold less than expected is enough to extrapolate that at least the 5c is less popular than the 4S to the 5.

Also, from the article: "When asked why the iPhone 5c represented a smaller mix of total handset sales than Apple expected, Cook said he believes customers were simply drawn to the flagship iPhone 5s." and Tim Cook's quote, "I think the 5s, people are really intrigued with Touch ID," Cook said. "It's a major feature that has excited people. And I think that associated with the other things that are unique to the 5s, got the 5s to have a significant amount more attention and a higher mix of sales."

It's quite clear the 5S was the star regardless of the spread, and is as it should be, considering it's the brand spanking new, flagship model. :)

• Reply 154 of 187
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    A lot of you bullies can eat crow now.
  • Reply 155 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

A lot of you bullies can eat crow now.

Bullies isn't quite the word I'd use for a few of them.

• Reply 156 of 187
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Every new Apple CEO needs his G4 cube moment.
  • Reply 157 of 187

Good corollary.

And the iMac launch date push back is a corollary to Apple’s lateness in supporting CD-R drives. Or was that DVD-R? Whichever.

• Reply 158 of 187
    Quote:

True... but there is a lot more forgiveness if they've had an iMac moment just previous to that.

• Reply 159 of 187
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Good corollary.

And the iMac launch date push back is a corollary to Apple’s lateness in supporting CD-R drives. Or was that DVD-R? Whichever.

I'm now convinced that you have one of those 'word of the day' calendars. :lol:
  • Reply 160 of 187
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm now convinced that you have one of those 'word of the day' calendars. image

And I’ve long been convinced (because you said so yourself) that you’re a troll. Shut up.