Apple's iOS 7 now on 80% of compatible iOS devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
During Apple's quarterly conference call for the first fiscal quarter of 2014, CFO Peter Oppenheimer revealed the company's new iOS 7 has now been installed on 80 percent of compatible iOS devices like iPhones and iPads.

iOS 7

With the 80 percent number, Apple's most recent mobile operating system continues to dominate rival Android, the latest version of which -- 4.4 "KitKat" -- is only running on roughly 1.5 percent of compatible devices.

In December, iOS 7 was reported to be installed on 78 percent of devices. Currently, devices able to update to iOS 7 include iPhone 5s, 5c, 5 4S and 4, and all iPads down to the iPad 2 and original iPad mini.

By comparison, the most-used Android version is the last-generation 4.3 "Jelly Bean," which is on roughly 60 percent of devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

I understand that some/many people like iOS7; I personally cannot stand it.  It is only on 1 of the 5 iDevices at my house, and is never going on any of the others.  Yeah, soon I will be limited in the apps I can buy, but I pretty much have everything I want/need.  As I feared, they said that Mac OS 10.10 will also become flatter; I'll have to and and see how bad they make it.

Apple seems to be doing quite well without me regularly updating my iPhones and iPads.  They'll probably do just fine without me updating my Macs.  That is fine with me.

• Reply 2 of 17

I like iOS 7, I'm with the 80%. Safari, mail, maps, calendar, weather are all better on 7 IMHO. The one thing I would like to see is getting back the "paste with current ??? design" on the right click in iWork. The four finger, two handed current way is a pain in the a$$. I realize it would be some work in the iOS version of iWork, but I am sure that Apple has the cohonees to get it done for my iPad 4. Groan

• Reply 3 of 17

What percentage of currently-in-use iOS devices are compatible with iOS 7?

• Reply 4 of 17
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

What percentage of currently-in-use iOS devices are compatible with iOS 7?

Slightly fewer, of course.

• Reply 5 of 17
    Most of those whom I know still use iOS 6, although they are capable to upgrade it to iOS 7.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    bao babus wrote: »
    Most of those whom I know still use iOS 6, although they are capable to upgrade it to iOS 7.

Well that proves the 80% figure is wrong then, of course.
  • Reply 7 of 17

That's great, but I'm not sure it's a meaningful statistic.

A friend of mine wishes he could get iOS 7 off his iPhone 4, because it's now so slow it's almost unusable. My family has it on their more modern devices, but my wife doesn't care to update her 4s. 

I'm on a Nexus 4, which gets timely updates, but I couldn't really care less. Waze, Netflix, Youtube, and Chrome all work in whatever version, just like on iOS 6 vs 7 in our house.

• Reply 8 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still not interested.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

A friend of mine wishes he could get iOS 7 off his iPhone 4, 

If only Apple would allow customers to revert.  They lock the option out, IMO, so that they can produce data points like this one.  They don't say how happy the people are with iOS7, just that lots have updated.

• Reply 10 of 17
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

They dont say how happy the people are with iOS7

Sure they do.

• Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure they do.

Where's the breakdown of iOS7 satisfaction by phone/touch/pad model?

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Where's the breakdown of iOS7 satisfaction by phone/touch/pad model?

Look out Skill, I think he has you there. I personally have not seen Apple show that.

• Reply 13 of 17
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Look out Skill, I think he has you there. I personally have not seen Apple show that.

He does, but it’s irrelevant to the point being made. :p

Here’s an independent study showing iOS 7 ahead of even 6.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

He does, but it’s irrelevant to the point being made. :p

Here’s an independent study showing iOS 7 ahead of even 6.

Ok forgive my made up figures here but they are purely for demo purposes. Lets say that out of all Apple  ios devices only 50% of them are compatible with ios7 and 80% of those have it installed. So the 60% of Android devices that are running Jelly Bean (despite it being the previous version) could potentially be a larger number of devices as there are more android devices than ios devices in the world. (if indeed the stats are world wide and not US based)

• Reply 15 of 17

Ok forgive my made up figures here but they are purely for demo purposes. Lets say that out of all Apple  ios devices only 50% of them are compatible with ios7 and 80% of those have it installed. So the 60% of Android devices that are running Jelly Bean (despite it being the previous version) could potentially be a larger number of devices as there are more android devices than ios devices in the world. (if indeed the stats are world wide and not US based)

I see what you’re saying, but that’s not the comparison being made, is all. Weighing iOS 7’s satisfaction against other iOS versions is all that matters here.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

I see what you’re saying, but that’s not the comparison being made, is all. Weighing iOS 7’s satisfaction against other iOS versions is all that matters here.

OK but just because 80% have installed it, does not equate to 80% are satisfied with it. Apple blocks downgrading to previous versions.

• Reply 17 of 17

OK but just because 80% have installed it, does not equate to 80% are satisfied with it. Apple blocks downgrading to previous versions.

Right, hence the link above.