Red Bull TV channel added to Apple TV content lineup

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Cupertino's favorite hobby received a minor update Tuesday with the addition of Red Bull TV, an advertisement-free all-digital television network focused on action sports, music, and cultural events.

Red Bull TV

Red Bull TV features live content as well as short- and long-form shows and films -- the energy drink maker says the channel is aimed at being viewers' "exclusive wingman to the best seats at spectacular sporting and culture experiences worldwide." The update was first noted by Variety.

The channel is available worldwide and came to Apple's iOS platform in the form of a dedicated app in 2010. At press time, it boasts featured content like the "Psychedelic Golf Challenge" and footage of test runs from the famous Pike's Peak hill climb race.

Tuesday's update comes just over one month after Apple added Watch ABC, Bloomberg, and the Korean-language KOR TV to their set-top streamer. The company has been aggressively expanding the Apple TV's content selection as the battle for the living room heats up, also adding channels for PBS, Yahoo Screen and Major League Soccer, among others, in recent months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    *crickets*

Amazon instant video, show time, BBC, vudu, etc. Then we can make news. ;)
  • Reply 2 of 14

I wish the "Le TV" can become a channel. Currently, it is only an iOS app.

• Reply 3 of 14
    Excellent!! RBTV was the only place to watch the Pike's Peak International Hill Climb in 2013. This will make it easier in 2014.
  • Reply 4 of 14

I don't know the coverage that Red Bull has in the USA but here in Europe they are extremely well known. Under other circumstances I would say "little steps" but in the case of Red Bull, this is a serious step forward as RB's profile here is very high.

So, this must very good news for Apple TV as far as I am concerned - this should pressurise other media companies who are hanging back!

• Reply 5 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    While I'll enjoy this channel update more than KORTV, I'm looking forward to a software update to fix Photo Stream.  It would be nice to see all 1,000 photos I have in my stream just like I can on every other iOS device I own.

Here's the [URL=https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5375167?start=0&tstart=0]obligatory link[/URL] for the ones on here who think everything works perfectly in the Apple world....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    cognomen wrote: »
    I don't know the coverage that Red Bull has in the USA but here in Europe they are extremely well known. Under other circumstances I would say "little steps" but in the case of Red Bull, this is a serious step forward as RB's profile here is very high.

So, this must very good news for Apple TV as far as I am concerned - this should pressurise other media companies who are hanging back!

I'd like them to get involved in bringing F1 to their channel on Apple TV, they are still heavily involved in that I assume. One the the few things I miss about the UK, decent F1 coverage (ok sausage rolls and brown sauce too).
  • Reply 7 of 14
    andysol wrote: »
    *crickets*

Amazon instant video, show time, BBC, vudu, etc. Then we can make news. ;)

I agree with the Amazon instant video, though I doubt Apple would allow the purchasing piece.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

...Red Bull TV, an advertisement-free all-digital television network focused on action sports, music, and cultural events....

LoL, the name IS the advertisement.....

• Reply 9 of 14

I'm excited about Red Bull TV but I wish they would just make Watch ABC work. All I get is "Accessing ABC" no matter how long I wait. And the option to make a video repeat. That would be amazing.

• Reply 10 of 14
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

LoL, the name IS the advertisement.....

Thats the beauty of it….Red Bull logo front and center of all your Apple TV "channels" next best thing in advertising. Coke Channel, Colgate Channel and so forth. 

• Reply 11 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

I know this article is about the Red Bull channel but I worry about many of the other supposedly free channels available through Apple TV. Many of them require a subscription to an existing cable TV account. I know many people are dumping cable TV but does this mean you have to pay for all the available channels even those that are normally free broadcasts (PBS, WatchABC, etc.). WatchABC requires a subscription through a provider. Once you add up all the subscription charges you might as well keep you cable TV provider. 

http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

--Free with your subscription through participating cable and satellite providers.

--PBS is available only in the U.S.

--WatchESPN is free for users who receive ESPN as part of their cable or satellite TV subscription from participating providers. ESPN3 is free for users with participating high-speed Internet service providers.

• Reply 12 of 14

Don"t mean to be too preachy... but if you want to die, albeit very slowly, drink Red Bull!

:(

I used to pitch money making ideas to my CEO father. Not once did I think of creating a sugary, caffeinated, artificially flavored and colored  drink make of chemicals. If I had, I could be running a billion dollar Formula One team. Drats! 

Taurine, or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is an organic acid widely distributed in animal tissues. It is a major constituent of bile and can be found in the large intestine

• Reply 13 of 14

Great, but how about NFL, so we can stream the SuperBowl and then the whole season?  American College Football would be nice too...  

I want the Speed2 channel too!  http://www.speed2.com

The biggest feature needed is so I can turn on my HDTV and it goes direct to Apple TV -- need better integration with TV manufacturers!

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd like them to get involved in bringing F1 to their channel on Apple TV, they are still heavily involved in that I assume. One the the few things I miss about the UK, decent F1 coverage (ok sausage rolls and brown sauce too).

AMEN!!! Having access to decent F1 coverage would be incredible, even if it were pay through iTunes store I'd gladly subscribe. US coverage on NBC Sports absolutely sucks, would much rather pay for good programming than having to torrent it and watch races 1-3 days later.