Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
As she prepares for her new role as head of retail operations at Apple, outgoing Burberry Chief Executive Angela Ahrendts will be honored with another distinction: She's set to be named a Dame of the British Empire.

Ahrendts
Angela Ahrendts will become Apple's SVP of Retail and Online Stores in 2014. | Source: The Times UK

Ahrendts will be joined by Melinda Gates, philanthropist and wife of Microsoft founder Bill Gates. The honor will be bestowed upon both women in the coming weeks, according to Vogue.

The title of dame is the female equivalent of knighthood, or being named a "sir," in the U.K. Damehood for a non-British national is said to be approved by the Queen, but is not awarded by a member of the royal family.

Apple hired Ahrendts last October to take overits retail operations with the new title of Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores. She won't take that position until this spring, as she is wrapping up her duties at Burberry.

The 53-year-old Ahrendts, born in Indiana, has spent most of her professional career in the fashion industry. In 2006 she was named CEO of Burberry, a luxury British brand established in 1856 that today has 11,000 employees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sog35 wrote: »
    She should be CO-CEO or take Tim Cooks job.

She could convince me to buy a jacket for $900.  Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.

You left the /s off.

I think it's funny you think she can convince you to buy a $900 jacket. Cook got me to buy a $1800 computer.

So Apple has a Dame and a Sir. Tim wishes he was British.
  • Reply 2 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So Apple has a Sir and a Dame on their executive staff. :D
  • Reply 3 of 133
    She should be CO-CEO or take Tim Cooks job.

She could convince me to buy a jacket for $900.  Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.
    Shouldn't the products sell themselves?
  • Reply 4 of 133
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Sweet! Apple is assembling a round table of knights/dames!

• Reply 5 of 133
    Sog35 is the new TechStud.
  • Reply 6 of 133
    not joking.  Apple is entering a new era that needs a CEO with vision and mojo.  Something Cook is missing.

If Cook had vision he would have clearly seen the need for a larger screen phone.  Bad enough he didn't see the change coming but worse he FAILED to adjust once Samsung brought out the Galaxy S2.  Its taking Apple THREE FRIKEN YEARS to finally respond and bring out a bigger phone.  What a joke.  If they were proactive and brought out the big phone earlier they would have sold 75M phones this quarter.

Cook is great at manufactering but we need someone who can perceive what the customer wants BEFORE the customer knows it himself.  The larger iPhone, ipad mini were both products the MARKET told Apple to make and then they made it.  Thats the opposite of what Steve Jobs did when he ANTICIPATED the demand for iPod and the original iPhone/iPad.

Keep Cook as CO-CEO for operations.
    Make Musk Chairman of the Board (Tesla CEO)
    Make Ahrendts CO-CEO for products/marketing
    When did Steve Jobs anticipate the demand for a smaller iPad and larger phone? There is a pipeline for products, they don't just happen overnight. Cook can't just snap his fingers and say make me a bigger phone. Also, it was Eddy Cue who had to convince Steve that Apple should do a smaller iPad. And don't forget Steve didn't want to bring the iPod to Windows, he didn't originally support an App Store on the iPhone. This idea that Steve always knew what customers wanted before they knew it themselves is just pure RDF.

Seems to me you're just overreacting to the AAPL sell off. What does Angela Ahrendts know better about products Apple should be working on than the current crop of executives. She hasn't even started there yet and you're already anointing her the next Steve Jobs. That's ridiculous. And if you think Cook should go back to Operations than he should be COO, not co-CEO. Obviously there's a reason Steve chose him to be CEO. I think its a little early to be throwing him under the bus. If we come to the end of the year and there are no new products from Apple, or the ones we get flop, then we can talk about replacing Cook.
  • Reply 7 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Watch Steve Jobs product announcements. 
    Lot of selling going on, and it WORKED.
    Ahrendts is still unproven in an Apple context and she is not know for her public presentations, but to get a woman with 'mojo' to present and 'sell' Apple would be good, in theory. TC is great but a little yawn inducing.
  • Reply 8 of 133
    I don't really understand all this malarkey about a larger iPhone. I'm more than happy with the size of the iPhone5s and wouldn't want anything larger. Just shouting about something all the time doesn't make it a fact . . .
  • Reply 9 of 133
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    not joking.  Apple is entering a new era that needs a CEO with vision and mojo.  Something Cook is missing.

If Cook had vision he would have clearly seen the need for a larger screen phone.  Bad enough he didn't see the change coming but worse he FAILED to adjust once Samsung brought out the Galaxy S2.  Its taking Apple THREE FRIKEN YEARS to finally respond and bring out a bigger phone.  What a joke.  If they were proactive and brought out the big phone earlier they would have sold 75M phones this quarter.

Cook is great at manufactering but we need someone who can perceive what the customer wants BEFORE the customer knows it himself.  The larger iPhone, ipad mini were both products the MARKET told Apple to make and then they made it.  Thats the opposite of what Steve Jobs did when he ANTICIPATED the demand for iPod and the original iPhone/iPad.

You don't seem to know much about Steve Jobs. He didn't want to make a smaller iPad. He didn't think it was necessary. So please quit making inaccurate comparisons.
  • Reply 10 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So going from 3.5 to 4 inches screens in 2012 wasn't actually "bigger?"

Can you name any examples of co-CEO's that were successful?  The only such arraignment I know of was at Blackberry and that was an unmitigated disaster.

• Reply 11 of 133
    Oh those darn cabalists and their ceremonies
  • Reply 12 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sog35 is the new TechStud.

You may not agree with sog35, but his points are certainly worthy of discussion (unlike TS's).

• Reply 13 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

You don't seem to know much about Steve Jobs. He didn't want to make a smaller iPad. He didn't think it was necessary. So please quit making inaccurate comparisons.

You have no clue about what he wanted.

He said he didn't. That's all.

• Reply 14 of 133
    why Steve was alive there was really no demand for smaller tablets. 

Bottom line is even an IDIOT could see the benefits of a bigger screen once the Galaxy S2 came out THREE FRIKEN YEARS AGO.  Yet Apple still  has not released a bigger phone.  Pathetic.  and Arrogant.
    I thought you said Steve knew what people wanted before they did? Now your saying Apple didn't make a smaller iPad when he was around because there was no demand for it. That makes no sense. Going by your logic Steve should have known that there would be demand for a smaller tablet before anyone else did.
  • Reply 15 of 133
    Quote:

Bottom line is even an IDIOT could see the benefits of a bigger screen once the Galaxy S2 came out THREE FRIKEN YEARS AGO.  Yet Apple still  has not released a bigger phone.  Pathetic.  and Arrogant.

The iPhone 5 was bigger than any iPhone before it, maybe not as big as you want, but you are just lying if you say they haven't released a bigger phone.

• Reply 16 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Can you name any examples of co-CEO's that were successful?  The only such arraignment I know of was at Blackberry and that was an unmitigated disaster.

You're right. Most of them have been 'meh' at best. Other examples include Citibank, Deutsche Bank, SAP...

Surprisingly, however, the announcements effects on stock prices of co-CEOs is substantially positive. (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1759477)

• Reply 17 of 133
    Quote:

I do not remember the Galaxy S2 was a big success. 

Considering how much iPhones Apple sell, they are doing pretty well I think. It would be fine that the add a "bigger" (not too much however) line of iPhones, but I won't be surprise that these models sell less than the current models.

More "vocals" enthusiasts for bigger iPhones are men. Women like phones too... and I generally see women with small phones (and very often it happens to be an iPhone).

• Reply 18 of 133
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

He Fuking didn't even produce enought 5S phones this holiday season!!! What a f'ing joke. 

Then didn't make enought iPadMini Retina.  WTF!!!!

Same thing last year with iPadMini, iPhone5, and iMac.

Apple products almost always sell out on launch. It happened with the iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5. This is not a new phenomenon so don't blame Tim.

• Reply 19 of 133
    Steve was DYING. Give the man a FRIKEN break. 

He did anticipate demand with the iPod, iPhone, iTunes, App Store, and iPad.  He did.
    Now name me ONE THING Cook anticipated?  ONE THING.

He anticipated a demand for a $550 cheap looking plastic iPhone.  WRONG! 
    He Fuking didn't even produce enought 5S phones this holiday season!!! What a f'ing joke. 
    Then didn't make enought iPadMini Retina.  WTF!!!!
    Same thing last year with iPadMini, iPhone5, and iMac.
    dude, I think you need to take a chill pill. I don't know how much you've lost this week on AAPL but it clearly seems to be clouding your thought now.
  • Reply 20 of 133
    Quote:

4 inches with a widescreen aspect ratio is an incredibly small screen compared to ANY of the competitors top-tier phones.  And you know it.

I wasn't commenting on whether 4 inches is big enough.  All I know is you said they never came out with a bigger phone (and repeated the same thing twice) which is just untrue.  Do you care about the truth?