Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why Steve was alive there was really no demand for smaller tablets. 

Bottom line is even an IDIOT could see the benefits of a bigger screen once the Galaxy S2 came out THREE FRIKEN YEARS AGO.  Yet Apple still  has not released a bigger phone.  Pathetic.  and Arrogant.

Apple did release a bigger phone in that time span.  It just apparently wasn't "bigger enough".

• Reply 62 of 133
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've forgotten... what was this article about?

Giving Tim Cook the death penalty for selling the most iPhones Apple has ever sold and giving them their best quarter ever.

• Reply 63 of 133

Great she is now a Dame

Sad we no longer have an Empire!

• Reply 64 of 133
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Don't engage the trolls.  What is the point?  Let them hash it out amongst themselves.

Anyways, back to the actual point of the article.  Good for her.  Congrats!

As someone who follows fashion to a certain degree, she has proven her abilities.  Whatever one thinks of Burberry (some love it, some hate it -- very few are in the middle), she's done a very good job managing the brand.  To anyone who is remotely aware of fashion, say "Burberry" and that person knows exactly what you're talking about, what it looks like, how much it costs, etc.

• Reply 65 of 133

The truth is that no one who has been "knighted" by the crown has ever produced anything decent afterwards.  Their great achievements happened before the event.  Sir Elton, Sir Mick, Sir David, Dame Judy, the list goes on and on...  I hope she (and Jony) can buck this trend.

• Reply 66 of 133

OK - well, Sir Richard (maybe let's see how the Virgin Space rides go)

• Reply 67 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It was/is a serious question.

I have 74-year-old eyes and stubby fat fingers. I find it difficult to use any smart phone.

My daughter has an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5C -- she takes them both with her most of the time.

I have an iPhone 5S, but only use it if I must. I always have my iPad 4 with me. I definitely would consider an iPhone the size of an iPad Mini -- only have to carry one device.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires -- but mine are as important to me, as yours are to you.

One problem with people who love iOS and want to stick with that but also want a larger display is the data plans on the iPad. On an iPhone you can likely get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and a big chunk of data for less money than just a a few GB's of data only on an iPad. If the iPad mini had not only cellular data but was also  full fledged phone as well complete with the same plans available to the iPhone then I think many people might consider it. That is a bit too big fro me since I still want to be able to carry it in my pants pocket. But people still need to use their iPhone as a phone not to mention calling 911 in an emergency so until that happens I do not see the iPad mini as a reasonable stand alone option as long as voice and texts are not possible. (yes, I know VoiP and 3rd party text programs are available but that is another layer of costs and complexity and still does not allow for 911 calls)

• Reply 68 of 133
    jungmark wrote: »
    I don't think either of them are US citizens.

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but Ahrendts and Melinda Gates are both US citizens.
    Ahrendts will be joined by Melinda Gates, philanthropist and wife of Microsoft founder Bill Gates. The honor will be bestowed upon both women in the coming weeks, <a href="http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2014/1/28/angela-ahrendts-dame-dbe-burberry-ceo-apple">according to</a> <em>Vogue</em>.
  • Reply 69 of 133
    I don't know what all the ranting is about but it took years to make phones small, if you recall they were huge in the 90's early 2000's. Apple has the right idea to keep it small as it's suppose to fit in your pocket without taking up much space, if you want a bigger screen use your ipad for watching movies or reading/web browsing. I believe it was strategically thrown out there for the sake of that unless of course you'd prefer to be glued to a desk using a desktop. But keeping the iPhone small is a must, it's a cell phone it's suppose to be portable not a big bulky thing.
  • Reply 70 of 133
    Quote:

They sold 50,000,000 Galaxy S2

100,000,000 Galaxy Note 2, S3

100,000,000 Galaxy Note3, S4

it  has been a HUGE success even with a crappy software, OS, and build quality. 

You are obviously making those numbers up. As of December, Samsung had only sold 10 million Note 3's worldwide. I guess you have missed all the articles about Samsung being disappointed with the S4 sales. At the end of October only 40 million S4's have been sold worldwide. It's taken Samsung 6 months to sell that number. 

• Reply 71 of 133
    Quote:

She should be CO-CEO or take Tim Cooks job.

She could convince me to buy a jacket for $900.  Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.

You just like dames.

• Reply 72 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

The truth is that no one who has been "knighted" by the crown has ever produced anything decent afterwards.  Their great achievements happened before the event.  Sir Elton, Sir Mick, Sir David, Dame Judy, the list goes on and on...  I hope she (and Jony) can buck this trend.

Oh, let's see.  Since Dame Judi Dench received her honor, she has been nominated for 7 Oscars (winning one), nominated for 11 Golden Globes (winning two), nominated for 17 BAFTAs (winning 5), etc.  I could go on, but what's the point?

• Reply 73 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Great she is now a Dame

Sad we no longer have an Empire!

Well, there ARE the Sith...

• Reply 74 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh, let's see.  Since Dame Judi Dench received her honor, she has been nominated for 7 Oscars (winning one), nominated for 11 Golden Globes (winning two), nominated for 17 BAFTAs (winning 5), etc.  I could go on, but what's the point?

Yes, but she did not do any more Law and Order work -- obviously she is over the hill.

• Reply 75 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not going to engage with someone throwing a temper tantrum. Apple's quarter and even their guidance didn't warrant a $40B sell off IMO. But hey Wall Street is on a downer recently. And just today Yahoo reported results that Wall Street didn't like and their stock is down 7%.

Yahoo was (and still is) WAY overpriced, given that their US business is moribund, and they are basically a holding company for their AliBaba interests (yes, Yahoo Japan is successful, but that is not such a huge business).  As for Apple, the stock has been on a run over the last several months, the guidance was lousy, so the selloff is quite reasonable.

• Reply 76 of 133
    Whate
    Sog35 is the new TechStud.
    whatever happened to TechStud?
  • Reply 77 of 133
    Quote:

keep your head in the sand then.

Mcdonalds has grown profits 5 of the last 5 quarters.  Apple has been negative 3 or the last 5 and has only grown one of the five because of the buyback.

Maybe make a deal so that you get a 5c with a HappyMeal?

• Reply 78 of 133
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

whatever happened to TechStud?

He’ll always be with us. In our hearts and in our minds.

And on our forums as three dozen different users.

• Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Yes, but she did not do any more Law and Order work -- obviously she is over the hill.

HAHA!  Good point. :)

• Reply 80 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’ll always be with us. In our hearts and in our minds.

And on our forums as three dozen different users.

Truthiness.