President Obama lauds FCC partnership with Apple, other tech firms in ConnectED education program [u

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, just what we need: someone who doesn’t care about doing the job, rather than someone we just don’t want to do the job. :no:

We need a president with high-level business experience. Preferably a COO or CFO. “Lawyer” and “politician” should be careers that make becoming president illegal. 

Not caring about the job and not wanting the position are two wildly different things. The office is generally sought after by those who are want power for themselves and it's my opinion that doesn't make for the best leader

• Reply 22 of 35
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Not caring about the job and not wanting the position are two wildly different things. The office is generally sought after by those who are want power for themselves and it's my opinion that doesn't make for the best leader

Then say ‘those who don’t want the job for its own sake.” Not wanting the job at all is, well… :p

• Reply 23 of 35
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

IF schools were privately run, not only would the kids ALREADY have access to broadband, they would be getting a decent education, rather than a new 5 year plan, every year from the politburo and ever increasing spending to rich union mafia bosses.

• Reply 24 of 35
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Or you could just say, sorry I misunderstand your point. ;)
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Or you could just say, sorry I misunderstand your point. image

No, the point was unclear.

• Reply 26 of 35
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Ah, the cynicism here is palpable.

Chalk me up as someone who's actually impressed. Classroom connectedness is a MASSIVE issue, and the quicker we get in front of it, the better.

I agree. The problem with any form of extremism, doesn't matter what it's about, is that it's blinding. Whether it's about religion, politics, or anything else, extremism leads to nothing good ever happening. I for one appreciate that people might not agree with me. It's called human nature. I do however think that if people step back, most of the time common ground can be found. I truly hope this initiative pays off. Others should hope so too. Our educational system has fallen so far behind in so many regards, that any solid steps to improve it, are appreciated.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    No, the point was unclear.
    Perhaps to you, I found it perfectly clear what he was trying to say as I am sure others did as well.

I know you don't believe this, but it is possible for you to misunderstand what someone has posted here, and admitting that fact will not kill you. Or you can just be "right" and I guess that works for you. I know that it frustrates me when someone who is clearly intelligent is unable to admit any possible shortcomings. Nothing more to say here myself.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Perhaps to you, I found it perfectly clear what he was trying to say as I am sure others did as well.

I know you don't believe this, but it is possible for you to misunderstand what someone has posted here, and admitting that fact will not kill you. Or you can just be "right" and I guess that works for you. I know that it frustrates me when someone who is clearly intelligent is unable to admit any possible shortcomings. Nothing more to say here myself.

I obviously misunderstood it; that’s evident in the posts. It wouldn’t have been misunderstood had it been written correctly.

• Reply 29 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speaking on the state of education in America, or more specifically the ConnectED high-tech initiative, President Obama gave a tip of the cap to Apple, Microsoft, Sprint and Verizon for their role in connecting U.S. students to the Internet.

When I heard him say that last night, I thought, What did AT&T do to piss off Obama?

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Lawyer” and “politician” should be careers that make becoming president illegal. 

This would be awesome.  I'd make this the new "First Ammendment", and bump all the others down one.   I guess that would be confusing.

Something 1000x-more-likely, but still impossible:  Congressional Term Limits.

• Reply 31 of 35
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

Just please don't suggest BPL. Broadband over Power Lines is nothing but a headache.

What are overhead power lines? Antennas.

Since the industry does not want to limit the frequencies used all that happens is the airwaves get polluted with noise and interference. This affects military, commercial and ham radio communications.

• Reply 32 of 35
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

IF schools were privately run, not only would the kids ALREADY have access to broadband, they would be getting a decent education, rather than a new 5 year plan, every year from the politburo and ever increasing spending to rich union mafia bosses.

Private schools do exist today. You don't have the issue of out of date books there, because the parents typically have to purchase the aforementioned textbooks. What makes you think it would work out well overall? Is there a proven model in any country that you really like?

• Reply 33 of 35
    aelegg wrote: »
    This would be awesome.  I'd make this the new "First Ammendment", and bump all the others down one.   I guess that would be confusing.

Something 1000x-more-likely, but still impossible:  Congressional Term Limits.

Thomas Jefferson was a lawyer, so not all lawyers are complete scum.

I agree completely on term-limits for Congress. Any limits would be a good start.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Thomas Jefferson was a lawyer, so not all lawyers are complete scum.

Exactly! If he’s any indication, lawyers are pretty darn good at writing law. 

But the president doesn’t write law. He runs the company.

• Reply 35 of 35

Exactly! If he’s any indication, lawyers are pretty darn good at writing law. 

But the president doesn’t write law. He runs the company.

And this president and the previous president have both proven that when they break the law and do everything they can to circumvent the Constitution, there are no repercussions.