Lenovo to reportedly buy Google's Motorola Mobility for $2.9 billion [update: confirmed]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member

Wow, this is a bit of a surprise... Not the actual sale, as it was a bad acquisition in the first place, but the loss at which they are selling it for!

And low and behold, Wall Scum have jacked up GOOG almost $30 in after-market trading:

So Google dumps a worthless company at a $9 billion+ loss and gets rewarded with an extra $30 per share value, while Apple rakes in their best quarter ever, and took 4th place in the WORLD for BEST QUARTER EVER RECORD, and they get punished by losing $45 per share...

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!?!?!

• Reply 42 of 219
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manicakes View Post

Funny, because the Nest acquisition was about the same (200M more expensive).

So ... Google traded Motorola Mobility (paid 12.5B) for a thermostat company.

Ouch.

But it's a snoopy thermostat...

• Reply 43 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Step 1: That money is already gone, meaningless in terms of investing, makes for good fodder only.

Is it though?  Shouldn't the company have to do a write-down just like Blackberry or Microsoft did with their unsold hardware in recent years?

Surely Google still had Motorola being of significant value on their books.  Selling it for 2.91 billion must certainly be far less than it's book value.  Therefore a huge write-off would be required next quarter, no?  Unless they're going to claim the difference as the real value of the patents that they're keeping which would be utter nonsense considering they're basically worthless.

• Reply 44 of 219
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jfanning wrote: »
    it is a lovely picture, but it doesn't prove anything

He'd love to explain it to you but he doesn't have any crayons.
  • Reply 45 of 219
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I knew this was coming, my prediction was they would shut it down in 2 to 3 yrs when the purchase, I figure by some time in 2014 they would be out of the cell phone business, I figure they would just shut it down since I could not see anyone stupid enough to buy what was left. 

Thanks Icahl for officially killing what was once know as Motorola. 

I will give Lenovo credit for doing a good job with the IBM think pad and taking it forward, however they have something good to work with, I do not believe that to be the case here.

Think about this, Google license all the Moto IP to Samsung and then turns around and sell the business to one of the company eating Samsung lunch on the low end and license all the same IP to Lenovo as well.

• Reply 46 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Wow, this is a bit of a surprise... Not the actual sale, as it was a bad acquisition in the first place, but the loss at which they are selling it for!

And low and behold, Wall Scum have jacked up GOOG almost $30 in after-market trading:

So Google dumps a worthless company at a $9 billion+ loss and gets rewarded with an extra $30 per share value, while Apple rakes in their best quarter ever, and took 4th place in the WORLD for BEST QUARTER EVER RECORD, and they get punished by losing $45 per share...

It's only a one or two billion dollar loss and Google dumps a money loser... I'd be a happy GOOG shareholder at this point.

• Reply 47 of 219
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

All those patent disputes that Motorola brought against Apple (and others) in Europe didn't work out (I assume Google bought Motorola for their patents).

And yet Lenovo has a more expansive (phone) product portolio than Motorola.

Something doesn't add up about this deal...

• Reply 48 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

All those patent disputes that Motorola brought against Apple (and others) in Europe didn't work out (I assume Google bought Motorola for their patents).

And yet Lenovo has a more expansive (phone) product portolio than Motorola.

Something doesn't add up about this deal...

Moto has a US presence complete with great contacts. Add in the cross licencing deal...

• Reply 49 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Step 1: That money is already gone, meaningless in terms of investing, makes for good fodder only.

Step 2: This is exactly why Google is up after hours. Dump a bleeding asset, you make more money.

Step 3: Irrelevant by Step 1, and softened since they already sold part of Motorola for 2.x billion some time ago.

Step 4: yep.

Business 101.

The point the original poster is making is since the acquisition of Motorola Mobility [even then told to be a money pit] the stock ballooned on successful acquisition and subsequent growth for Google in the android market. Google didn't grow jack other than ad revenues from its partners, and mainly from the success of iOS ads.

Ignoring the costs of legal suits leveraging this junk patent list tells me Wall Street doesn't know jack about economics, nor technology, but only speculation.

They do however see every little venture Google attempts [Fiber for instance] and leverage the hell out of that pipe dream as becoming the next ATT or Verizon to justify their ballooned P/E valuation.

• Reply 50 of 219
    Quote:

Picture is only wrong to people who don't understand growth rate and just like to see words like record.  Motorola division was operating at a loss and now it's gone.  Apparently Wall Street is scum when they hedge against Apple.  Don't recall anyone calling them scum when Apple was "jacked up" to 800.

• Reply 51 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Moto has a US presence complete with great contacts. Add in the cross licencing deal...

Samsung isn't in a cross-patent licensing deal with Motorola, but with Google. Lenovo doesn't benefit from that.

• Reply 52 of 219
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I never bought the patent excuse. It hasn't made sense at any point in this story. I think Motorola was hedge against Samsung. It can't be a coincidence that the "Samsung and Google are now best friends" story before this news. That was Google doing damage control. Basically: there has been a big internal battle for Android between Google and Samsung. Google bought Motorola because it thought it might lose Android to Samsung. It also started taking more and more of Android closed source to regain control. Samsung kept exploring alternatives (like Tizen) and replicating Google's own software. It was basically a Cold War. Now they're settling.

• Reply 53 of 219
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Folk Google losses on this were pretty high, The paid 12.5B and with the looses that Motorola continue to have while they owned it push that number to about 15B, so with the sale of the Home business and not the cell phone business Google is in the hole about 10B and they will never make any of that up with the licensing fees on the fee patents that bring in cash for them.

Apple need to do the same thing buy companies with a negative ROI and then dump and the stock will go up

• Reply 54 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Picture is only wrong to people who don't understand growth rate and just like to see words like record.  Motorola division was operating at a loss and now it's gone.  Apparently Wall Street is scum when they hedge against Apple.  Don't recall anyone calling them scum when Apple was "jacked up" to 800.

What growth does this provide Google? Quantify it. I'm looking forward to this analysis.

• Reply 55 of 219
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

It was not a bad acquisition. Google likely wanted the patents as the smart phone landscape has turned in a patent war zone. I bolded the below from the article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Google made the Motorola buy in 2012, some speculated the acquisition was fueled at least in part by American telecom's patent cache. A subsequent statement from Motorola confirmed that Google will be hanging on to a "vast majority" of patents, including pending patent applications and invention disclosures. Lenovo will receive over 2,000 patents in the deal and has the option to license additional properties from the portfolio directly from Google.

• Reply 56 of 219
    Another iconic American brand turning Chinese. Sad day.
  • Reply 57 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's only a one or two billion dollar loss and Google dumps a money loser... I'd be a happy GOOG shareholder at this point.
    How is it only a one two billion loss? I thought most of MM patents were FRAND. How can they be that valuable?
  • Reply 58 of 219
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Which re-enforces my point of them being Wall Scum, they are playing favourites with Google! If what you say is true that Motorola was running at a loss for Google, than their loses are greater than $9 billion! So with that much red ink on the balance sheet, no matter how they try to spin it later on their next quarterly, this is still a HUGE loss that demonstrates a tremendous mistake by Google's senior management, and yet they are being rewarded for their stupidity!

And with a name like mistercow, I must be talking to a Google brown noser...

• Reply 59 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Samsung isn't in a cross-patent licensing deal with Motorola, but with Google. Lenovo doesn't benefit from that.

Google is keeping a lot of the Moto patents to itself... but is licensing those patents to Lenovo.

• Reply 60 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

He'd love to explain it to you but he doesn't have any crayons.

And his mom just called him upstairs for dinner.