Apple's iPad, iPhone face flagging growth as conventional markets reach saturation

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

And if they didn't keep the smaller size at the same time, they might even lose customers (yes, I really think that some people don't want a bigger phone).

Me - I don't want a bigger phone. In fact, I'd like an iPhone 6 that goes back to the original iPhone size.

• Reply 102 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So Apple just got done making most of their software free and now we have Einstein here telling us Apple needs to charge for software and services? When one of their biggest competitors basically gives away their software and services for free and another competitor is getting into the hardware business? WTF?
  • Reply 103 of 150
    clemynx wrote: »
    You twice wrote 'catagory'. For an expert you need to work on your English.
    Anyway, 78% of Android phones have a screen of 4 inches or less. Even if people want so much a bigger iPhone, making one wouldn't bring that much more people than are now buying it. And if they didn't keep the smaller size at the same time, they might even lose customers (yes, I really think that some people don't want a bigger phone).
    I won't argue that a larger iPhone is necessary (or at least different sizes like with the iPad) but Apple needs more than just a bigger iPhone to change its fortunes. Right now over 50% of Apple's revenue comes from iPhone. They need new revenue streams and need to grow the iPad even more. Living and dying by iPhone sales isn't good for the company.
  • Reply 104 of 150
    jungmark wrote: »
    Cook has made me $125 per share since he took over. So sweet!

It must have been even sweeter when it was $175 per share. Two days ago that was.
  • Reply 105 of 150
    clemynx wrote: »
    You twice wrote 'catagory'. For an expert you need to work on your English.
    Anyway, 78% of Android phones have a screen of 4 inches or less. Even if people want so much a bigger iPhone, making one wouldn't bring that much more people than are now buying it. And if they didn't keep the smaller size at the same time, they might even lose customers (yes, I really think that some people don't want a bigger phone).

Never once said I was an expert. Show me where I did.

Oh, no. I spelled a word wrong. How awful. I guess i should just sod off then.

I also don't want anything larger than the 4 inch screen for my own personal use, but there is a segment of the population that does. I happen to think Apple should go for it. With all that cash surely they can afford to make two screen sizes.
  • Reply 106 of 150
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleDigger View Post

It must have been even sweeter when it was $175 per share. Two days ago that was.

Fantasy has a taste?

• Reply 107 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YEAH. There sure are signs that any of that isn’t coming. Oh, wait, they’re always making something new that everyone wants.

No, sorry, try again. This time actually read what he said, not what you want him to have said.

The 5C sold better in its position than the 4S did the year before. It didn’t do as well as they expected, but it did better than any previous product.

Is that a joke?

When the “warning signs” are all based in ignorance… 

Not everyone "wants" the 5C as much as Apple "expected". There, does that sound better to you?

It's NOT a joke. Who's to say that the next device is going to be a blockbuster? You don't know, yourself.

Maybe Apple thought any Apple device will do well---regardless of what it is---just because it's Apple.

BUT...

.....refer to the 5C and how it did NOT live up to expectations.

And you talk about ignorance?

Obviously you have no monetary skin in the game. If you did, I believe your thinking would be different.

• Reply 108 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only entity on Earth with enough money to even make it be possible is themselves. I’d love them to go private. No more idiots who don’t comprehend the company decreasing its value, no more idiots who’ve done no work whining about how they “deserve” the money earned by others…

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Totally agree. What are the investors useful for? People will try making excuses but in reality Apple doesn't need them and on the contrary would be better off without them. Maybe when they get to 300 billion in the bank they will do that **dreaming**

You guys are really funny; neither of you has any clue how companies are capitalized or even who owns Apple, let alone understand what a sovereign wealth fund is or how large the largest pension funds are.  I love the idea of Apple buying themselves and having no owner...that's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time!

• Reply 109 of 150

Okay, here's my two cents.

I'm not anti-Tim Cook. I think he's doing, overall, an excellent job. I think Apple has continued to innovate, and will continue to do so - including the introduction of new product categories. But there ARE some problems that are very real, and need to be addressed.

1. The iPhone. What's happening in regard to marketshare is no joke, and is not to be dismissed. To simply say, "we only cater to the higher end of the market" is a mistake. If marketshare continues to erode, eventually - not tomorrow, but eventually - you will have a situation all too similar to the old Mac vs. PC days. And those were some dark times. What the iPod did right was in finding a way to make truly great products for every price-point. By doing so, it shut out the competition - including competition at the low end, which is what typically eats away at Apple (pardon the pun). Now, more than ever, Apple has an opportunity to "pull an iPod." With a larger-screened device coming, make THAT the high end, aspirational model, drop the price a touch on the next gen 5S to make it slightly closer to mid-range, and bring back the 4S screen size for an inexpensive, super-thin low to mid-range priced model (finally, the iPhone "mini" so to speak). Or, drop the price on the 5C - because honestly, part of the reason it didn't sell as well as hoped is because the price didn't match the product.

2. Innovate FASTER. Steve Jobs was probably not always the nicest person. But he understood that sometimes pressure needed to be applied to bring things to market in a timely manner. This year, Apple needs to MOVE. That new, enhanced AppleTV? It's long overdue. The new, one MacBook Air retina to-rule-them-all 12 incher? Let's GO. The larger screened iPhone with a hopefully mobile payment solution in tow? June, not September this time around. (Which would also steal some thunder from whatever Samsung introduces in March). The iWatch? Holiday season at the LATEST. And here's the kicker - announce it for pre-order 3 to 6 months ahead of launch. (Particularly if, for some reason, it's not going to make the holiday release.) We've seen Apple do this before - with the iPhone, and recently with the Mac Pro. It's something that is typically done when there's an understanding that the wait for a particular product has become so problematically over-long that *something* must be announced, even if it's a "coming soon" to get everyone salivating. That's very much the case here.

3. Ambition. What's a major difference between Google and Apple? Apple purports to "laser focus" on specific products, while Google's ambitions (it has become more clear than ever based on recent acquisitions) are limitless. I once wrote an email to Tim Cook recommending they develop an actual iCar, and just skip over the intermediate "iOS in the car" altogether. It might sound crazy, but hey, "here's to the crazy ones," right? (Or, if you want to put that cash to use, buy Tesla. Probably impossible, but who cares! Find a way.) I believe Apple under Steve Jobs had limitless ambition. I'm not sure that's still true of Apple. I'd like to hope they can get some of that fire back.

Apple is still a great company. It still makes great products. It still innovates. But it's time to broaden that laser focus a bit, put the pedal to the metal, and show the world that Apple is an unstoppable force. Maybe the new company's new slogan - in-house only, of course - should be this: "Apple: Be Afraid." Because right about now, I'd like to be more afraid OF Apple than I am FOR them.

• Reply 110 of 150

I think you are right about Steve really setting deadlines and making people stick to it. Tim seems like a nice guy but as CEO he probably needs to be a bit more of a ball buster when it comes to product development and launches. I hope they have some completely new product(s) this year especially after we have been hearing about "down the pipeline" for a while now. 

• Reply 111 of 150
    foadfoad Posts: 717member

You're assuming that Apple doesn't see the market trends regarding a lower priced phone, especially in emerging markets, which by the way are actually not strong as a lot of people think. Recent data is showing that emerging markets are increasingly risky. It is easier to slowly bring the price of your product portfolio down than in large bites. The iPhone 5c wasn't as big a deal as they would have hoped, and they can address that. The fact that the product exists shows that they are looking to expand the product portfolio. The rumors of a larger phone will further expand the product portfolio.

Secondly, Apple's innovations were always fairly slow paced. Every several years they do something big and then incrementally refine it. Hell, even with regards to the iPhone and iPad, the iPad was released only 3 years after, but the reality is that it started development before even the iPhone did. Steve for as much of a ball buster as he was, was also very restrained in the number of things Apple would get involved in. Under his watch, Apple's product portfolio actually shrank to be more focused, and then slowly grew. This also ties in with your comments about Google. Google is less secretive about what they do with R&D. That is not the way Apple operates. Their R&D is done behind the curtains. Google's DNA is software and software development is vastly different. Gmail was in crazy active development in the public as a "beta" for years. With the announcement of the sale of MM to Lenovo, it shows just how hard good hardware is. I think Google begrudgingly signed on with Samsung. Ultimately, Google wants to be literally everywhere. Their revenue is based on the ubiquity of ads. They are trying to change that with certain purchases but for all the innovation you claim Google is doing, they make 97% of their revenue from the least innovative thing on the internet - advertising. Sure, robotics, AI and their other projects are cool conceptually, but they don't generate revenue.

Based on Tim Cook's comments, Apple doesn't have any shortage of things they'd like to tackle, but you have to do that slowly. If Apple did what Google did with Motorola, the world would explode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

snip

• Reply 112 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Me - I don't want a bigger phone. In fact, I'd like an iPhone 6 that goes back to the original iPhone size.

I say that if rotary phones were good enough for Jesus, they are good enough for me.

• Reply 113 of 150
    I'm sorry but people need to quit deifying Jobs and rewriting history. If Apple today came out with anything like the 1st gen iPhone, MacBook Air or iPad they'd be laughed off the stage. I mean the 1st iPhone didn't even have copy/paste functionality for gods sake! The first MacBook Air was nothing like what we have today and was $1800 to boot! What groundbreaking product did Apple introduce between the iPod and iPhone (besides the iTunes Store)? There were plenty of years where Macworlds and WWDCs were filled with incremental updates to existing products or Steve dinking around in some software program like iMovie for a half hour.

The iPhone 5S is arguably better than any iPhone released on Jobs watch. Same with the iPad Air and rMBP. And the new Mac Pro is as innovative as anything that happened under Jobs 2.0. I think this idea that Apple innovated faster under Jobs or that he cracked the whip and Cook isn't is pure fallacy, just rewriting history/romanticizing the past.
  • Reply 114 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

1. The iPhone. What's happening in regard to marketshare is no joke, and is not to be dismissed. To simply say, "we only cater to the higher end of the market" is a mistake. If marketshare continues to erode, eventually - not tomorrow, but eventually - you will have a situation all too similar to the old Mac vs. PC days. And those ...

2. Innovate FASTER. Steve Jobs was probably not always the nicest person. But he understood that sometimes pressure needed to be applied to bring things to market in a timely manner. This year, Apple needs to MOVE. That new, enhanced AppleTV? It's long overdue. The new, one MacBook Air retina ....

3. Ambition. What's a major difference between ....

My take is that there was a time (like the last 6 years) that none of the above were problems because Apple was on top of the world...i.e. they sold every iPod, then every iPhone, then every iPad they could possibly make...with high profit margins.  But today, the trend is looking a little different.  iPhone and iPad competition is stiff and margins are lower.

In a nutshell, you're right...NOW is the time for a LITTLE desperation on Apple's part...it's necessary.  And we all know that "necessity is the mother of all invention."  I'm optimistic that Apple is not comfortable with its position and hasn't been the last year.  R&D has been churning.  Just takes a bit more time to roll out a bigger iPhone, aTV, etc.

• Reply 115 of 150
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Would've could've should've. As of right now, it's still up since Cook officially took over.
  • Reply 116 of 150
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    We'll I'm due for a new iPad and iPhone in 2014. This has more to do with the iPad 2 and 3 being such stellar products (and planned obsolescence on behalf of the android crowd: need the latest firmware? buy a new device!).
  • Reply 117 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sorry but people need to quit deifying Jobs and rewriting history. If Apple today came out with anything like the 1st gen iPhone, MacBook Air or iPad they'd be laughed off the stage. I mean the 1st iPhone didn't even have copy/paste functionality for gods sake! The first MacBook Air was nothing like what we have today and was $1800 to boot! What groundbreaking product did Apple introduce between the iPod and iPhone (besides the iTunes Store)? There were plenty of years where Macworlds and WWDCs were filled with incremental updates to existing products or Steve dinking around in some software program like iMovie for a half hour.

The iPhone 5S is arguably better than any iPhone released on Jobs watch. Same with the iPad Air and rMBP. And the new Mac Pro is as innovative as anything that happened under Jobs 2.0. I think this idea that Apple innovated faster under Jobs or that he cracked the whip and Cook isn't is pure fallacy, just rewriting history/romanticizing the past.

Yes, and that Mac Plus! What a joke! I mean, 512KB of RAM? Who were they kidding?

• Reply 118 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Yes, and that Mac Plus! What a joke! I mean, 512KB of RAM? Who were they kidding?

Youngster!

You and your fancy 512. In my day we only had 128s!

• Reply 119 of 150
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    thisismike wrote: »

2. Innovate FASTER. Steve Jobs was probably not always the nicest person. But he understood that sometimes pressure needed to be applied to bring things to market in a timely manner.

3. Ambition. What's a major difference between Google and Apple? Apple purports to "laser focus" on specific products, while Google's ambitions (it has become more clear than ever based on recent acquisitions) are limitless. I once wrote an email to Tim Cook recommending they develop an actual iCar, and just skip over the intermediate "iOS in the car" altogether. It might sound crazy, but hey, "here's to the crazy ones," right? (Or, if you want to put that cash to use, buy Tesla. Probably impossible, but who cares! Find a way.) I believe Apple under Steve Jobs had limitless ambition. I'm not sure that's still true of Apple. I'd like to hope they can get some of that fire back.

2. Innovate on a schedule, like is a check mark on a To-do list. "Good news, I innovated today. "
    Stupidest thing, ever.

Btw, how long did the iPad come to market from an idea? 6-7 yrs?

3. Dumb dumb dumb. I forget that Jobs build 100 different product lines.
    I think you are right about Steve really setting deadlines and making people stick to it. Tim seems like a nice guy but as CEO he probably needs to be a bit more of a ball buster when it comes to product development and launches. I hope they have some completely new product(s) this year especially after we have been hearing about "down the pipeline" for a while now. 
    Right, I forgot iOS 7 was delayed and took 3 years.
  • Reply 120 of 150
    rogifan wrote: »

Ha!

I remember an Apple event that introduced the iPod Hi-Fi and a leather iPod case... That's it! SJ took about 45 minutes...

And.. No "one more thing".

Wha? Total non-event... Why did you call this meeting?

...Piss-poor marketing!