SwiftKey Note app arrives on Apple's iOS with Evernote integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Popular Android keyboard alternative SwiftKey came to iOS Thursday with the release of SwiftKey Note, a standalone note-taking application that integrates with digital archiving service Evernote.

SwiftKey Note

SwiftKey's predictive text algorithms are designed to adjust themselves to the user's writing style over time, and the company leverages the Evernote integration to speed up the training process. In addition to the synchronization options offered by Evernote, SwiftKey Note can scan the user's Evernote archive and use that data as training material.

The app's language selection has been pared down slightly from that offered with SwiftKey's Android implementation, shipping with English, Spanish, French, German, and Italian. Users can still type in up to three of those languages at once, however.

SwiftKey's quick formatting options have also made the jump. Swiping toward the left on the suggested word bar will allow users to make text bold or italic, underline words, set indents, and create bulleted lists.

Notes can be organized into categories the company calls "notebooks," and users can apply searchable labels. Sharing is enabled via Apple's AirDrop or iMessage, and notes can also be emailed or copied to the device's clipboard.

SwiftKey Note version 1.6.4 is available now as a free, 10.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Tried it. Free version is horrible--ads ads and more ads. It also can't be used in mail, messaging etc. Last but not least, I didn't find the predictive aspects very accurate. Waste of space.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I'm really surprised that it's not mentioned anywhere in the article that this will NOT incorporate the swipe-to-type functionality that made the android app so popular in the first place. I don't really understand why they're not including it at all. Why make the app if you're not going to incorporate the functionality that everyone raves about?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Doesn't Apple prevent users from changing the Apple keyboard?

• Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boone51 View Post

I'm really surprised that it's not mentioned anywhere in the article that this will NOT incorporate the swipe-to-type functionality that made the android app so popular in the first place. I don't really understand why they're not including it at all. Why make the app if you're not going to incorporate the functionality that everyone raves about?

Swipe to type is less useful on a tablet (you have to move your hands a lot), but the predictive feature IS very useful, in my experience.

• Reply 5 of 14
    I used to use swiftkey on my S2 before making the switch to Apple and, honestly, it's the one thing I miss about android. The predictions become creepily accurate the longer you use it for, and you end up being able to write short texts with nothing more than the first few words and repeated mashing of the space bar to insert suggestions.

I don't know how likely it is that Apple will ever allow the installation of third party keyboards for universal ios use, but the default keyboard could seriously do with some improvements.

Seems that some people have missed the fact that this is a standalone app with its own keyboard, and not an ios version of swiftkey.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rextilleon wrote: »
    Tried it. Free version is horrible--ads ads and more ads. It also can't be used in mail, messaging etc. Last but not least, I didn't find the predictive aspects very accurate. Waste of space.

The predictive part gets much better as it learns your writing style.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post

Re predictive aspects, as pointed out by other, it learns (fairly quickly). As for not being usable in other applications, you have Apple to thank for that.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by weejock View Post

I used to use swiftkey on my S2 before making the switch to Apple and, honestly, it's the one thing I miss about android. The predictions become creepily accurate the longer you use it for, and you end up being able to write short texts with nothing more than the first few words and repeated mashing of the space bar to insert suggestions.

I don't know how likely it is that Apple will ever allow the installation of third party keyboards for universal ios use, but the default keyboard could seriously do with some improvements.

Seems that some people have missed the fact that this is a standalone app with its own keyboard, and not an ios version of swiftkey.

There's a swipe keyboard built in by default now. I might install swiftkey and see if it's much better.

• Reply 9 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    There's a swipe keyboard built in by default now. I might install swiftkey and see if it's much better.

The difference is night and day.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Am I missing something obvious here? Are you talking about a swipe keyboard that's built into ios7? I was under the impression that, without jailbreak, there was no way to substitute the stock ios keyboard.

• Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Am I missing something obvious here? Are you talking about a swipe keyboard that's built into ios7? I was under the impression that, without jailbreak, there was no way to substitute the stock ios keyboard.

Sorry, I meant that Android now includes a swipe keyboard by default, but that I've never seen SwiftKey's take on it.

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Sorry, I meant that Android now includes a swipe keyboard by default, but that I've never seen SwiftKey's take on it.

I am not really super impressed with the swipe thing (if you are 15 years old and the phone is your only device, I am sure it's great, but if you keep switching from a PC keyboard to a phone, it's harder(. The predictive thing is way cool (though I should say that the Windows Phone has a similarly good predictive capability.

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

I am not really super impressed with the swipe thing (if you are 15 years old and the phone is your only device, I am sure it's great, but if you keep switching from a PC keyboard to a phone, it's harder(. The predictive thing is way cool (though I should say that the Windows Phone has a similarly good predictive capability.

I remember when I first installed swype on android, I loved showing it off to iphone users. It's clever, cool and fun to play with, but I found regular typing on swiftkey to be much faster thanks to the predictions.

Quote:

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Anybody think that there's any real possibility of Apple authorising third party keyboards? Failing that, I could believe that Apple could come up with something pretty special themselves - I just wish they'd get on with it.

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

I remember when I first installed swype on android, I loved showing it off to iphone users. It's clever, cool and fun to play with, but I found regular typing on swiftkey to be much faster thanks to the predictions.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Anybody think that there's any real possibility of Apple authorising third party keyboards? Failing that, I could believe that Apple could come up with something pretty special themselves - I just wish they'd get on with it.

It seems with all the hype I'm going to have to give swiftkey a go for a few weeks and see how effective it is. I found the Android swipe keyboard difficult to use to begin with, but that's because I'm used to typing via touch with both hands on a real keyboard. After I spent a bit of time thinking about how to actually spell each word instead of it being subconcious it bcame much easier to do.

I do think Apple should allow more customisation, but prepare to be told you are stupid and don't understand anything :-p