MLB to reportedly have thousands of iBeacons ready for game day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
According to a report on Thursday, Major League Baseball will start rolling out thousands of iBeacons in 20 ballparks across the U.S. next week, the goal being system readiness by opening day in March.

MLB

Citing sources with knowledge of the situation, MacRumors reports 20 parks will be rigged with about 100 iBeacons each when opening day rolls around on Mar. 31. Among the first teams to get the microlocation technology are Boston, LA Dodgers, Milwaukee, San Diego and San Francisco.

Using iBeacons built by Qualcomm, the rollout will be one of the largest to date, not including Apple's own deployment in its over 250 U.S. retail stores.

For now, it is unclear what functionality the MLB iBeacons will carry as each ballpark is largely responsible for what features it would like to implement. The MLB provides a team-configurable iOS app that will likely be used in tandem with the iBeacon rollout.

With the MLB.com At the Ballpark iOS app, users are able to check-in for rewards, carry tickets and pull up maps. With iBeacon, the app's functionality could be augmented to include granular location data, automatic ticket-taking and other advanced features.

Apple's iBeacon technology uses the Bluetooth Low Energy protocol to offer two-way wireless communication at varying distances. For example, in a store setting the system can dole out coupons or special deals to end users, while simultaneously gathering customer traffic information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    You can gather a lot more information fron this than freking thermostats.. but i guess no one cares..
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Very cool.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    jpmia wrote: »
    You can gather a lot more information fron this than freking thermostats.. but i guess no one cares..

Remember Apple is not Google.

When Tony repeatedly stated, "current" everyone realized the he was telling the truth. The current privacy policies would not be changed. The NEW privacy policies would be written by Google.

Less than a week after starting his promotion of his sale to Google, Tony changes his words to state, "opt-in" for privacy changes.

Since Google is not known for opt-in, Tony's attempts to quell people's distrust of Google failed.

Tony has not spoken this week. I wonder if he realized the public considered him a liar.

By the way, I unsubscribed from Nest's email list today. I had downloaded the Nest iOS app before the Google purchase. Even though I deleted the app after the purchase I remained on the Nest email list. Disturbingly, Nest would not permanently remove me from its email list. I have blocked future emails from Nest.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well,, hopefully Comerica Park in Detroit will be one of them, and I can see what the story is.  I'm curious.  

• Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Remember Apple is not Google.

When Tony repeatedly stated, "current" everyone realized the he was telling the truth. The current privacy policies would not be changed. The NEW privacy policies would be written by Google.

Less than a week after starting his promotion of his sale to Google, Tony changes his words to state, "opt-in" for privacy changes.

Since Google is not known for opt-in, Tony's attempts to quell people's distrust of Google failed.

Tony has not spoken this week. I wonder if he realized the public considered him a liar.

By the way, I unsubscribed from Nest's email list today. I had downloaded the Nest iOS app before the Google purchase. Even though I deleted the app after the purchase I remained on the Nest email list. Disturbingly, Nest would not permanently remove me from its email list. I have blocked future emails from Nest.

Yep, Apple is different.  They just don't tell you what they do the data they collect from you.

• Reply 6 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Tony is now a billionaire and doesn't care what you think. I wouldn't have sold to Google, but I'm not him. The average person doesn't even know who Nest is, let alone never think about whether they should trust Google or not. How do you think Google have gotten this far?

• Reply 7 of 38
    ireland wrote: »
    Tony is now a billionaire and doesn't care what you think. I wouldn't have sold to Google, but I'm not him. The average person doesn't even know who Nest is, let alone never think about whether they should trust Google or not. How do you think Google have gotten this far?

You may be right, but I care. And that is important to me. Can you understand that?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    mistercow wrote: »
    Yep, Apple is different.  They just don't tell you what they do the data they collect from you.

Oh well. Trust with Apple is stronger than trust with Google for me. When that changes, I will think how to proceed.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

You may not understand this.  You may NEVER understand this.  But I trust Apple.  Granted, I trust them as I would trust any mega-corporation, but I trust them.

Think of it this way.  Apple already has my money.  When I spend $2,500 on a new iMac or $5 on a movie rental from iTunes or however much on a new iPad Air or iPhone ... etc., they have my money.  They don't need to get more from me.  They sell hardware, and a little bit (it's hilarious that billions is considered a "little bit" at this point) from stuff like iTunes.  They don't need to sell my information to make a profit -- they made a profit when they sold me my iMac or iPhone or iPad or whatever.

So, I don't trust Apple because I think they are magically good (though I do think that Tim Cook is a legitimately good person).  I trust Apple because it's not really in their interest to screw me over.  If they want my money, come out with a cool product.  I'll give it to them. :)

• Reply 10 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You may be right, but I care. And that is important to me. Can you understand that?

Oh I do. Not going to do you any good.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    aaronj wrote: »
    You may not understand this.  You may NEVER understand this.  But I trust Apple.  Granted, I trust them as I would trust any mega-corporation, but I trust them.

Think of it this way.  Apple already has my money.  When I spend $2,500 on a new iMac or $5 on a movie rental from iTunes or however much on a new iPad Air or iPhone ... etc., they have my money.  They don't need to get more from me.  They sell hardware, and a little bit (it's hilarious that billions is considered a "little bit" at this point) from stuff like iTunes.  They don't need to sell my information to make a profit -- they made a profit when they sold me my iMac or iPhone or iPad or whatever.

So, I don't trust Apple because I think they are magically good (though I do think that Tim Cook is a legitimately good person).  I trust Apple because it's not really in their interest to screw me over.  If they want my money, come out with a cool product.  I'll give it to them. :)

Just keep in mind Apple has little control over iBeacons, and zero control over what the people using them collect nor what they do with it.

This isn't (just) your trusted Apple tracking detailed venue movements (dang man, you staying in there all day?), collecting and collating queries and purchases, and merging your visits to one with your visit to another partner locale. Short of someone physically following behind you and taking pictures there's never been the commonly available tech for such finely detailed location and intimate interest mining until Beacons began a roll-out. This takes your on-line persona and merges it with your real-life activities. And yes, I suspect un-trusted Google will be accessing and using some of this iBeacon-enabled data too.

Just seems like if you don't like being followed on-line you'd hate adding this to your personal profile too.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    mistercow wrote: »

You can ask them:
    http://www.apple.com/privacy/
  • Reply 13 of 38
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Just keep in mind Apple has little control over iBeacons, and zero control over what the people using them collect nor what they do with it.

This isn't (just) your trusted Apple tracking detailed venue movements (dang man, you staying in there all day?), collecting and collating queries and purchases, and merging your visits to one with your visit to another partner locale. Short of someone physically following behind you and taking pictures there's never been the commonly available tech for such finely detailed location and intimate interest mining until Beacons began a roll-out. This takes your on-line persona and merges it with your real-life activities. And yes, I suspect un-trusted Google will be accessing and using some of this iBeacon-enabled data too.

Just seems like if you don't like being followed on-line you'd hate adding this to your personal profile too.

IBeacon is short range, they won't be able to follow you anywhere.

Presumably an app that has access to iBeacon and GPS can be malicious, but Apple has tight controls over app access to data and accessories (camera, mic, MFi devices).

Last report says 0.7% malware on iPhone.

Over 90% targeting Android. Plus Google ignoring Do-Not-Track, and defended successfully to keep ignoring it.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    patsu wrote: »

Have you asked them anything about your personal profile details and/or how they specifically use it, and were you satisfied with the answer you got? Honest question.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Have you asked them anything about your personal profile details and/or how they specifically use it, and were you satisfied with the answer you got? Honest question.

Why ask me ! Ask Apple yourself.

That page has general info.

You can also go to Settings > Privacy > Ad tracking to see what apps are gathering your social data. I think you can turn them off but I don't have any ^_^.

There are other settings page for checking their logging too.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    IBeacon is short range, they won't be able to follow you anywhere.

Presumably an app that has access to iBeacon and GPS can be malicious, but Apple has tight controls over app access to data and accessories (camera, mic, MFi devices).

Last report says 0.7% malware on iPhone.

Over 90% targeting Android. Plus Google ignoring Do-Not-Track, and defended successfully to keep ignoring it.

AFAIK Apple has no control at all over what the companies using iBeacons can collect about your visit and share with other parties. We're not talking about malware, nor even iBeacons themselves. Instead various individual company privacy policies allow for a wide and vague range of information they collect, share and combine with info from other sources when you use their interfacing app. Without a complementary app iBeacons are relatively useless. While Apple may (or may not) vet a particular app available from the appstore they have no control whatsoever over what happens to any information gathered when you use it.

As for Do Not Track, I believe Google announced after-the-fact they they would now honor user settings. Bing doesn't say so but last I read they ignore the Do Not Track header. Yahoo came out and specifically said they'll ignore it.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Why ask me ! Ask Apple yourself.

Huh? I asked if you had tried it. I already knew I hadn't. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 18 of 38
    AFAIK Apple has no control at all over what the companies using iBeacons can collect about your visit and share with other parties. We're not talking about malware, nor even iBeacons themselves. Instead various individual company privacy policies allow for a wide and vague range of information they collect, share and combine with info from other sources when you use their interfacing app. Without a complementary app iBeacons are relatively useless. While Apple may (or may not) vet a particular app available from the appstore they have no control whatsoever over what happens to any information gathered when you use it.

They do have control over the app in AppStore. A few apps got delisted because of feedback and complains by users.

Why can't I mention malware ? They can use BLE too. If an app abuses iBeacon to invade user privacy, it is a malware.

As for Do Not Track, I believe Google announced after-the-fact they they would now honor user settings. Bing doesn't say so but last I read they ignore the Do Not Track header. Yahoo came out and specifically said they'll ignore it.

They only honor it now after the lawsuit. Everyone has reluctantly fall in line now after so many years. People had to fight for their privacy:
    http://paidcontent.org/2012/02/17/419-google-on-defensive-yet-again-in-snafu-over-ad-tracking-in-safari-brows/

And the British are still fighting:
    http://gigaom.com/2014/01/16/privacy-activists-can-sue-google-in-uk-over-safari-tracking-court-decides/

As for MS:
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/07/technology/do-not-track/index.htm
    Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) announced last week that it would become the first browser maker to turn Do No Track on as the default setting in its upcoming version of Internet Explorer, called IE10.

I believe FireFox and IE were the first 2 browsers to support DNT.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    We at Mahana (www.getmahana.com) have used the Qualcomm beacons and find their offering intriguing and their build quality really nice. They go above and beyond the iBeacon standard, so I would call them "iBeacon-like." The biggest challenge with these and most beacons is the battery life. I wonder if MLB is using the small CR2032 battery ones or the 4 AA ones. Either way in either 3 months or a year, they will have to change the batteries on thousands of devices.

I cannot wait for solar and/or A/C powered devices.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Huh? I asked if you had tried it. I already knew I hadn't. :rolleyes:

I was replying to "how they specifically use it". ^_^

Their track record in implementing privacy mechanisms is good enough for me. Their business do not rely on advertising anyway.