Apple's iOS in the Car system purportedly enabled in developer simulator, shown on video

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A YouTube video posted by an iOS developer on Tuesday appears to show the mapping functions of Apple's upcoming iOS in the Car system, with voice-activated destination search and turn-by-turn directions among the features on display.

The 88-second-long video shows the iOS simulator running on what appears to be an OS X Mavericks desktop with a virtual 800 pixel by 480 pixel display connected. Opening the simulator's Maps app shows a specially-formatted version on the virtual display, and the content can be manipulated from either device.

iOS developer Steven Troughton-Smith captured the video and traverses the maps app's basic functionality, searching for San Francisco's Moscone Center on the iPhone and then beaming directions to the would-be in-dash display. A search function features a "speak your search term" prompt, giving examples including "1 Infinite Loop," "ice cream," and "San Francisco."

At one point, Troughton-Smith drops into multitasking mode and attempts to open what appears to be a set of audio controls, but the simulator simply returns to the home screen. No other functions appear to be included.

Smith says the features are included in the shipping version of iOS 7.0.3, but cautions that "an awful lot of work" is required to enable them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The GUI doesn't look very good imho. Minimalism in hardware design looks expensive and good, but minimalism in GUI controls looks unfinished/cheap.

It would be an interesting academic paper to find out why that is so.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I own and drive a Tesla Model S. I hope this horrible crapware never makes it onto my car.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Nice simulator, crappy looking UI.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    While I did mention in my last post about my iphone having a docking capabilities with my car... This is not the image I was thinking about. Maybe on the right track but I don't need another gps gadget. Think bigger apple! And I would like a Tesla also, but not in my current budget, seeing that I want the roadster not the sedan ;) but maybe one day.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Interesting, indeed, for I *like* the minimalistic GUI displayed in this demo.

This demo indicates that one should be able to interact with the InCar System via their iPhone or the car's audio display screen... or voice.

Simple. Intuitive. Familiar. Non-cluttered.

I believe this is a great direction, which the consumer will appreciate and enjoy. Manufacturers would be wise to adopt.
  • Reply 6 of 18

I think the concept is great, the UI is quick and easy to understand which is crucial in a car.

Much of the comments here are about Ive's minimalistic design, which took a very deliberate and anti-Skeuomorphic path. I think the 'magic' lies in between the two. I liked some of Forestall's ideas and some of Ive's ideas. A good designer is someone who can solve problems, and I think Ive needs to take a step back, roll-up his sleeves, and innovate this field.

*Grammar

• Reply 7 of 18

I think this is probably too early for any sort of speculation to be valid. The basic functionality is clearly still to be expanded. Lets face it, a car interface is never going to be revolutionary. It already looks smooth and relatively efficient and I don't think we've seen full examples from any competitor.

• Reply 8 of 18

Not bad. Just give me a platform to launch Waze.

Phone plus Kenu Airframe works great for now though. Nav system is no more than a backup screen these days.

• Reply 9 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I own and drive a Tesla Model S. I hope this horrible crapware never makes it onto my car.

Didn't I read that Tesla were considering using some Android crap, or was that a nightmare I had? It must have been, I have a lot of respect for Elon, he'd never go near that or Microsoft so what option but iOS is there at some point?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Didn't I read that Tesla were considering using some Android crap, or was that a nightmare I had? It must have been, I have a lot of respect for Elon, he'd never go near that or Microsoft so what option but iOS is there at some point?

Looks like Elon is working on Chrome first, Android emulation next. http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/23/tesla-ceo-wants-to-bring-android-emulator-to-model-s-upgrade-browser-to-chrome/

I don't see why it matters, I'm sure it will integrate with iOS, Android, WP, and BB apps just fine.

• Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Tesla is aligning its in-car software offerings with Google. The navigation is already partially Google based, and Tesla is targeting to put Chrome browser on the dashboard. Elon has close personal relationships with the Google founders, he has little relationship with Apple's executives. Tesla is targeting autonomous capabilities for 3rd Gen/Model E, which has a natural Google synergy.

• Reply 12 of 18
    I simply don't believe this is from Apple. Someone would get fired already.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Tesla is aligning its in-car software offerings with Google. The navigation is already partially Google based, and Tesla is targeting to put Chrome browser on the dashboard. Elon has close personal relationships with the Google founders, he has little relationship with Apple's executives. Tesla is targeting autonomous capabilities for 3rd Gen/Model E, which has a natural Google synergy.

Jeez, now I have to dump the Tesla as well as my Nest! :rolleyes:
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Jeez, now I have to dump the Tesla as well as my Nest! image

This irrational fear is a phobia, you know. Maybe your employer has an EAP hotline.

• Reply 15 of 18
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

This irrational fear is a phobia, you know.

Fear of personal data theft is irrational?

• Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's irrational is thinking that Honeywell, BMW, and Apple are decisions that will secure your digital privacy. It's irrational to think that you can be on the bleeding edge of technology and not be tracked.

• Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Certainly, for example, theft implies loss. When out on the street you are having your personal location data stolen by those all around you if you portray things in that manner.

Can you actually name something Google could do with Tesla/Nest that wouldn't be illegal but would be 'theft'?

• Reply 18 of 18

Interesting news today: Short People are Paranoid and Suspicious, Says Science

I'm too tall to freak out about Google and privacy, I guess.