With Nest in & Motorola out, Google now looking to acquire wearable tech companies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

The only reason Google bought Motorola Mobility was for their patents. Once they figured out their patents were useless and they couldn't protect them, Motorola became useless to them so I'd say the only option was to sell it, even if it was for a loss. 

Google's sale of Motorola did not include the Motorola Patents valued at $6 billion. Those stayed with Google. Overall, Google's acquisition of Motorola was a small loss. I'm positive Google is very happy with their decision to buy them. Glad to see you don't know anything about this.

• Reply 22 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    To turn the focus back on to Apple, I read a great article in The Street this morning, on things Apple should do in the future.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/tsmfe/SIG=13ne5q9ce/*http://www.thestreet.com/story/12287155/1/6-things-apple-needs-to-learn-from-facebook-amazon-google-tesla-disney.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

The first two I'm in total agreement with. Apple should cease providing forward guidance (companies like Facebook and Google don't) and should cease providing sales figures (none of their peers do). This quarter was the best ever for Apple in terms of revenues and earnings and yet the stock dropped 10% because Wall Street didn't like iPhone sales figures and didn't like Q2 guidance. Stop giving Wall Street so much information and stop getting into the weeds on conference calls.

Another one I'm in agreement with - if Apple is going to have these long gaps between product launches then they may need to throw people a bone as far as some of the stuff they're working on. Steve was given the benefit of the doubt and even if he didn't disclose what Apple was working on everyone just assumed Apple was up to something great. Unfortunately Tim & Co. dont get that benefit of the doubt. Wall Street & others assume no news means Apple is out of ideas besides incremental improvements to existing products. So Tim might need to start being a bit more open to give people confidence that there is some cool shit in the pipeline.

And finally Apple really needs to up its game in software and services. Make this stuff best in class with frequent updates and improvements. We're starting to see some of that but a lot more can be done here, IMO.

Overall one of the better "Apple needs to..." articles I've read in a while. Not hyperbolic, not Apple is DOOMED, but a sober piece with some good advice from someone who is long on AAPL.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Saw my first pair of Google Glass in the wild at Sundance this year.

How freaking dumb do you look wearing those things?!!

A lot.

/No clothes the emperor has.

I spent a couple of hours with GG yesterday. It's the dumbest, clunkiest, most inconveniently designed product ever. A solution in search of a problem.

I am willing to bet that Samsung will sell more smart watches than Google its Glass....

• Reply 24 of 90
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Google's sale of Motorola did not include the Motorola Patents valued at $6 billion. Those stayed with Google. Overall, Google's acquisition of Motorola was a small loss. I'm positive Google is very happy with their decision to buy them. Glad to see you don't know anything about this.
    Valued at 6B in some fantasy land.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

(Aside from the fact that most of those patents don't have a lot of worth) cite, please?

• Reply 26 of 90
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I find it interesting that selling a mobile phone company and buying a thermostat company is evidence that Google is moving into "wearables."  Personally, I'm more likely to wear something like a smart phone than a thermostat.

• Reply 27 of 90
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

To turn the focus back on to Apple, I read a great article in The Street this morning, on things Apple should do in the future.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/tsmfe/SIG=13ne5q9ce/*http://www.thestreet.com/story/12287155/1/6-things-apple-needs-to-learn-from-facebook-amazon-google-tesla-disney.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

The first two I'm in total agreement with. Apple should cease providing forward guidance (companies like Facebook and Google don't) and should cease providing sales figures (none of their peers do). This quarter was the best ever for Apple in terms of revenues and earnings and yet the stock dropped 10% because Wall Street didn't like iPhone sales figures and didn't like Q2 guidance. Stop giving Wall Street so much information and stop getting into the weeds on conference calls.

Overall one of the better "Apple needs to..." articles I've read in a while. Not hyperbolic, not Apple is DOOMED, but a sober piece with some good advice from someone who is long on AAPL.

Interesting piece.  Thanks for sharing.  Unfortunately if Apple announced that they were changing the way they break out their number or provide forward guidance, I expect the market would freak out and assume it was an effort to hide bad news.  So they would have to also change their policy on discussing future products (as suggested in the article).  That would be a very radical change for Apple.

• Reply 28 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    And neither will Google...

They might not share it but they will use it to their advantage. Don't be surprised if you are targeted with ads conveniently addressing your medical records.
    rogifan wrote: »

Another one I'm in agreement with - if Apple is going to have these long gaps between product launches then they may need to throw people a bone as far as some of the stuff they're working on. Steve was given the benefit of the doubt and even if he didn't disclose what Apple was working on everyone just assumed Apple was up to something great. Unfortunately Tim & Co. dont get that benefit of the doubt. Wall Street & others assume no news means Apple is out of ideas besides incremental improvements to existing products. So Tim might need to start being a bit more open to give people confidence that there is some cool shit in the pipeline.

And finally Apple really needs to up its game in software and services. Make this stuff best in class with frequent updates and improvements. We're starting to see some of that but a lot more can be done here, IMO.

Sorry, the Street is just looking for page views.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What is the point of this article exactly?

Google’s wasting more of their money. Can’t be a bad thing.

• Reply 30 of 90
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I spent a couple of hours with GG yesterday. It's the dumbest, clunkiest, most inconveniently designed product ever. A solution in search of a problem.

I am willing to bet that Samsung will sell more smart watches than Google its Glass....

Hey that's not a nice thing to say about Gatorguy. :lol:
  • Reply 31 of 90
    jungmark wrote: »

Speaking of streets, Amazon is way down today.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    I don't agree. Many of Apple's peers do not provide forward guidance. Why should Apple? Most, if not all of their competitors rarely provide sales figures. Why should Apple? If Apple didn't provide sales figures we probably wouldn't be having this stupid discussion about the 5C and how well it did/didn't sell. No one in the tech press really cares about the 5C yet they can't stop talking about it because it's a perceived failure and they want to crow about it.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Speaking of streets, Amazon is way down today.
    finally. Though it should probably be down a lot more than that considering it was up 4% yesterday.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    I don't agree. Many of Apple's peers do not provide forward guidance. Why should Apple? Most, if not all of their competitors rarely provide sales figures. Why should Apple? If Apple didn't provide sales figures we probably wouldn't be having this stupid discussion about the 5C and how well it did/didn't sell. No one in the tech press really cares about the 5C yet they can't stop talking about it because it's a perceived failure and they want to crow about it.

WS always provides their own guess...er...guidance regardless if Apple does. WS really doesn't care what Apple says.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    finally. Though it should probably be down a lot more than that considering it was up 4% yesterday.

That's what happens when you actually post a profit. :lol:
  • Reply 36 of 90
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Citation needed....

• Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(Aside from the fact that most of those patents don't have a lot of worth) cite, please?

Of course. It's listed in Google's SEC filing. Note 8. $5.5 billion to be more precise.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1288776/000119312512312575/d357361d10q.htm

• Reply 38 of 90
    malax wrote: »
    Interesting piece.  Thanks for sharing.  Unfortunately if Apple announced that they were changing the way they break out their number or provide forward guidance, I expect the market would freak out and assume it was an effort to hide bad news.  So they would have to also change their policy on discussing future products (as suggested in the article).  That would be a very radical change for Apple.
    Sure Wall Street would freak out initially but they'd get over it. If sales and forward guidance aren't require by the SEC Apple should stop providing it. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if Apple was a bit more open on certain things it's working on. Doesn't have to be 'hey, we're working on a watch' but it could be similar to Cook announcing Mac production in the USA. Cook needs to change the perception that Apple can't innovate its way out of a paper bag without Steve around. And since they've now got long spells with no product announcements they may need to spill a little in order to change the perception. In Walter Isaacson's bio of Steve there's a passage where Steve and Jony are together right after Steve got back from having his liver transplant. Jony complained to Steve that the perception out there was everything came from Steve, everything is Steve's idea and Apple will be screwed once Steve is gone. He complained that it wasn't good for Apple for this perception to be out there. Unfortunately that perception still exists and Cook hasn't done a good job of changing it.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    WS always provides their own guess...er...guidance regardless if Apple does. WS really doesn't care what Apple says.
    well don't give them a starting point. Apple should clam up more rather than getting into the minutiae of channel inventory and upgrade cycles and mix between different iPhone/iPad models. Just give out the bare minimum.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Hope this is true.

I only hope it is if that means Apple will never make an unusably sized phone. Otherwise it’s idiotic to get rid of the phone form factor.