Apple Stores combat dangerous CO, unpleasant BO with odor 'sniffers'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
With hundreds of thousands of people streaming through the doors of Apple's retail outlets around the world each day, the company has reportedly turned to high-tech "sniffers" in an effort to keep the stores' air fresh and odors at bay.

Santa Monica Apple Store
Apple's Santa Monica store

The revelation came from employees of Apple's Third Street Promenade store in Santa Monica, a shop that opened in 2012. The store is said to reek of body odor --?particularly in the early morning -- as noted by The Street's Rocco Pendola.

According to one store employee who spoke to Pendola, the problem is caused by the relatively high locations of sniffers in the store's walls. The sniffers are sensors which monitor the store's air --?checking for the presence of gases like carbon monoxide --?and trigger the ventilation system based on those readings.

Ventilation industry professionals use similar systems to diagnose problems with air conditioning systems in homes, businesses, and schools. Those devices, sometimes called "electronic noses," sense normal atmospheric gases as well as sometimes foul-smelling chemicals called volatile organic compounds.

Santa Monica Apple Store
The "sniffers" used to monitor the store's air quality Source: The Street

Pendola speculates that the issue in the Santa Monica store may have been overlooked during the management transition from former retail chief Ron Johnson to the now-fired John Browett. The division, which is currently without a senior-level leader, will soon report to current Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts who will move into a new role at Apple later this spring.

While the report notes that complaints of foul odors have surfaced in the past in other Apple retail stores, AppleInsider has been unable to confirm any similar cases in existing shops, perhaps indicating that sniffers in those locations are doing their job. Recent Visits to the company's busy outlets in Hong Kong and New York yielded no olfactory offenses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Just wait someone will do a survey and find they the majority of people buying apple product do not take a shower or change their cloths.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Just wait someone will do a survey and find they the majority of people buying apple product do not take a shower or change their cloths.

Or are very flatulent....

• Reply 3 of 70
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    ah, this will make the stock go down another 10%
  • Reply 4 of 70

Apple is Doooooooomed I say,  Dooooomed!

• Reply 5 of 70
    The Santa Monica store is my local Apple Store and I can confirm the BO is horrible. Hopefully they fix it soon.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Surprised anyone would make such a comment. Apple rules are rather strictly against such things. And yes to that picky a level. You can be fired for it
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Originally Posted by gizmo33 View Post

The Santa Monica store is my local Apple Store and I can confirm the BO is horrible. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Yeah. It’s APPLE’S problem that people don’t know how to bathe. :no:

Come off it.

• Reply 8 of 70
    some lysol will take care of that..
  • Reply 9 of 70
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah. It’s APPLE’S problem that people don’t know how to bathe. :no:

Come off it.

You come off it. He's not saying it's Apple's fault that they don't bathe, but rather they should be more efficient in terms of ventilation and air purifying. Not every comment is an insult against your precious Apple.

• Reply 10 of 70
    I'm not sure about the odor, but there is a terrible echo in the new Santa Monica store (pictured above). Sound bounces off of every wall and the glass ceiling. I feel like I'm in a tunnel with 50+ other people talking at once.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    NYT headline:
    " Apple denies showers to employees, 3 employees jump off roof of Santa Monica Apple Store!"
  • Reply 12 of 70
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I don't get it.  Why would it stink early in the morning when the store was (presumably) closed all night?   Shouldn't it stink more during the day or late in the day after it's been filled with people in a relatively warm climate?    Do they have minimum wage security guards sitting in the store at night who might not be able to afford to clean their uniforms often enough?

Aside from that possibility, if it stinks early in the morning, it's probably not body odor - it's probably an inherent smell from the fixtures, ceiling, insulation, etc., that just happens to smell like b.o.    It's probably happening because the air is not getting circulated at night.     Burning insulation can also sometimes smell like b.o.    Or, if the store uses a water-cooled air conditioning system, it could be stagnant water sitting somewhere in the system.   Or it could be the equivalent of "new car smell".     Hopefully, it's not the smell coming from formaldehyde being formed by cheaply made furniture, although since there's not a soft cushion anywhere in an Apple Store, that would be doubtful. 

• Reply 13 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Or are very flatulent....

Heaven forbid, they might blow the place up.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/27/90-farting-cows-start-fire-in-germany/
  • Reply 14 of 70
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

In not sure about the odor, but there is a terrible echo in the new Santa Monica store (pictured above). Sound bounces off of every wall and the glass ceiling. I feel like I'm in a tunnel with 50+ other people talking at once.

That's true in the Lincoln Square store in Manhattan as well.    It's all large spaces and all hard surfaces: the tables are wood, the floors are concrete, the walls are stone and the ceiling and fronts are glass.    There's absolutely nothing to absorb sound (aside from customers).    When the first phone with Siri was released, I went in there to try it out and it was impossible, due to the noise.     They need to put up cloth acoustic panels on the walls in random patterns.    That won't solve it all, but it will make it somewhat better. 

I once thought I heard a live band playing in the basement of the Lincoln Square store.  I went down there and it was just a loud iPod player accessory.    That's how much everything gets amplified by the acoustics. 

Apple likes to think of itself as paying attention to the tiniest details, but they did not pay any attention to the acoustic design of this store model.  

• Reply 15 of 70
    charlituna wrote: »
    Surprised anyone would make such a comment. Apple rules are rather strictly against such things. And yes to that picky a level. You can be fired for it

I don't think it's the employees but rather the hipsters.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 16 of 70
    All the stores I've been in smell from sneakers, BO, dirty hair, bad breath, and ....
    People are jammed in to the stores with the door a the far end I've been remarking on this issue for years!
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Maybe it's next to a Microsoft store.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Not every comment is an insult against your precious Apple.

No, but that one was.

• Reply 19 of 70
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Maybe it's next to a Microsoft store.

There would have to be bodies inside first in order to get a BO stink.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jax44 wrote: »
    NYT headline:
    " Apple denies showers to employees, 3 employees jump off roof of Santa Monica Apple Store!"

"Blames BO on 5C failure."