Rumor: Apple's next-gen iOS 8 to include 'Healthbook' app for comprehensive health monitoring

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Actually if you would have taken a look at Google's revenue you would have known that it is not all vaporware and that an increasing amount of revenue comes from hardware sales. Just in 2013 its revenues from hardware doubled to 13% of the total revenue.

It looks like it that Google is looking more and more to hardware sales to boost its revenue, it is well aware that it can't keep this growth up with just advertising revenue, while Apple is looking more and more to revenue via targeted advertising (iAd) in order to not be completely dependable on hardware sales but also provide services. Strange how that works right? When companies reach such high points like Apple and Google have it is important to diversify. Else if you keep doing one thing, if that one thing slows down you will quickly have decreasing stock value.

Yea, right Google along with Amazon are the Master's of Illusion and distraction, trying and actually focusing and executing like Apple on hardware/software/cpu design, Google is not even close, Google didn't do a hire-acquisition with Nest for nothing, The remnants of Nest are now the hardware design department. The 1.65 billion dollars in revenue for hardware (last quarter) is peanuts, how much of that is profit (of 3.3 billion) very little if any.

• Reply 82 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile Google is working on metal bodies to house your brain after they remove the free will part.

I just fear for Steven Moffat's safety.

Heh. I had to look that reference up.

And still, I had to ask some people to explain it to me.

• Reply 83 of 124
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I might've guessed it. You're 13.

And I'll never understand why some people on the net are so hostile and humorless.

• Reply 84 of 124
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Funny how countries like France and Japan have a higher proportion of smokers, yet have half the health care costs and least the same -- if not better health outcomes -- than the US does.
    I guess smoking is only one part of the equation. Diet would be another and I suspect the US must be world leaders in crappy food, if you can call half the stuff that's consumed food, that is.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    Sorry, Pax. I don't follow? :)
    Only that the iWatch is supposed to be the great new device with all sorts of sensors, but if the better sensor comes in the form of a patch that communicates with an app on the iPhone then what's all the fuss about the iWatch about? I am still very skeptical of the iWatch, and I'd rather be seen speaking into an oversized phone than a watch.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    My theory is the iWatch program will have the fitness crowd as a subelement. The primary focus will be in the healthcare community. A game hanging move. Will leave competitors in the dust. Medical iOS will move the needle.
  • Reply 87 of 124
    jumejume Posts: 209member

Dear Apple just make iOS usable again and add a bigger screen. That's all iPhone really needs, not another app that no-one will use. And that is coming from a hard-core Apple user.

• Reply 88 of 124
    paxman wrote: »
    I guess smoking is only one part of the equation. Diet would be another and I suspect the US must be world leaders in crappy food, if you can call half the stuff that's consumed food, that is.

Couldn't agree more. Obesity and 'crappy food' are far bigger problems in the US than smoking (no one's suggesting smoking's not bad). Sadly, it affects the poor disproportionately.
  • Reply 89 of 124
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Funny how countries like France and Japan have a higher proportion of smokers, yet have half the health care costs and least the same -- if not better health outcomes -- than the US does.

Great point. As I read all the lunacy about smoking- which is obviously unhealthy- yet isn't even close to being the biggest killer in this country. Smoking doesn't impact your attitude, mental health, and activity levels anywhere close to the level that Obesity and poor nutrition does. Both of which are much bigger issues.

I believe bad food is just as addicting as cigarettes are. It's not a popular belief- but the same argument is made. Why do some of the most highly intelligent people smoke? They know it's bad for them, yet they still do it. Now replace the work cigarettes with crappy food. Intelligent people who know its crap- yet they choose to keep eating it.
    Food companies spend billions (with a b) finding out what you want to eat, and what brings you back to their product. And this doesn't stop with advertising- but also the contents of the ingredients and types of foods that are mind altering that your body craves and desires- like processed sugar. Odds are that "blueberry cereal" your kid eats doesn't even have "blueberry" as an ingredient.

The only way to beat this thing is education. Not from the government either- which is a joke and completely biased. It can only come from self and local community education. This device can bring that one step closer.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    "Moreover, this is 3-5 years out. (Nowhere as laughably out like 10 years for Amazon drones, 15 years for Google Glass and 25 years for driverless cars)."

Please cite where you got your numbers or end or start the sentence with something like "in my opinion".
  • Reply 91 of 124
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

Please cite where you got your numbers or end or start the sentence with something like "in my opinion".

Probably the respective companies themselves, though you may not be wrong.

• Reply 92 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

More than half Paxman. Try 97% crap foods.

American's get 94% of their calories from processed "food-like" foods. The other 6% being vegetables. And shockingly, half of the "vegetables" are French Fries! 

~400,000 people die of smoking related diseases every year. ~600,000 die from heart disease. And heart disease was essentially a non-issue a hundred years ago. 

Recipients of Social Security, by and large, take out of the system roughly what they put into the system. And SS, with a few tweaks, is basically OK. (As far as gov. programs go.)

However, Medicare recipients are currently taking 2/3 more out than they are putting in. This is unsustainable. ~80% of the US health care costs go to 15% of the recipients and most of those costs are incurred in the "last year of life." 

• Reply 93 of 124
    Quote:

Only that the iWatch is supposed to be the great new device with all sorts of sensors, but if the better sensor comes in the form of a patch that communicates with an app on the iPhone then what's all the fuss about the iWatch about? I am still very skeptical of the iWatch, and I'd rather be seen speaking into an oversized phone than a watch.

Oh, I see. Yep. I take your point. I was thinking that iWatch would at least have a HR monitor on it fwding info to an App on your phone. You can buy a HR monitor watch (sans the chest strap) already. 

I see what you mean about having patches, sensors, etc., as being a little ungainly. That's why I think Apple will go after the Health and Fitness end and leave the "Senior" health-care aspects to third party developers with the apps and "attachments."

Best

• Reply 94 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

1. How exactly would this patch work?
    2. Is this like a nicotine patch you stick to your body?
    3. Why would a patch that includes a battery, with various sensors be built into a patch?
    4. How does having an accelerometer in a patch over a re-usable device can wear on your wrist be better?
    5. Why aren't watches built into a patch if that's such a great way to tell time or get reminders?
    6. Is this patch disposable like other medical patches?
    7. How would you evolve a patch to include BLE that will let you know when you're too far from your iPhone or un/lock your iPhone, iPad and Mac when your within a certain proximity?
    8. Where would this patch be placed?
    9. How long would it last?
    10. Would the adhesive be an issue for people in terms of comfort and health?
    11. How would I easily check to see who is calling with a patch?
    12. How would I easily switch tracks whilst jogging with a parch?
    13. Where would this patch be worn?
    14. How big would the patch be if even simple fitness bands, like Fitbit Force, are way to bulky to be placed within a patch?
    15. How would you charge it?

I'm going to stop at 15 questions.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Hi, I'm a Wall Street analyst and this pie-in-the-sky rumor does not match what our internal predictions are for iOS8. We are expecting Apple to release a native portfolio tracking application, that allows high-wealth customers to track their net worth with hourly alerts. 

Since this rumor does not match our real predictions, I am downgrading Apple to a SELL. 

Boring ... because this is yet another example how so called Apple enthusiasts care only about the stock and know/care nothing about technology.

• Reply 96 of 124

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Where/what is the data showing the French have the same or better health outcomes? What are the metrics? Thank you.

• Reply 97 of 124
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

I'm a nurse (nearly 30 years now), and I have to tell you if the data that Apple is rumored to be able to measure/store turns out to be accurate, it will be a massive boon to managing people's health.  

We can get some of this data from patients, but it's from multiple sources and platforms, and you have to transfer/transcribe it manually into their record(s).  Then you have the thrill of trying to make some sense out of it.  

Honestly, most of health care, particularly primary care can be managed with protocols and algorithms, with reliable data, we can save a ton of $ and time, both very important as the baby boomers work their way through the health care system. 

• Reply 98 of 124

Where/what is the data showing the French have the same or better health outcomes? What are the metrics? Thank you.

Heh heh. Feast on it. From a pretty authoritative source too: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp0910064

You can find an incredible amount of country-by-country data on dozens and dozens of specific health-related indicators here: http://www.who.int/gho/en/
  • Reply 99 of 124

Hi, I'm a Wall Street analyst and this pie-in-the-sky rumor does not match what our internal predictions are for iOS8. We are expecting Apple to release a native portfolio tracking application, that allows high-wealth customers to track their net worth with hourly alerts. 

Since this rumor does not match our real predictions, I am downgrading Apple to a SELL. 
    Boring ... because this is yet another example how so called Apple enthusiasts care only about the stock and know/care nothing about technology.

I am guessing you didn't notice that he was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1. How exactly would this patch work?

2. Is this like a nicotine patch you stick to your body?

3. Why would a patch that includes a battery, with various sensors be built into a patch?

4. How does having an accelerometer in a patch over a re-usable device can wear on your wrist be better?

5. Why aren't watches built into a patch if that's such a great way to tell time or get reminders?

6. Is this patch disposable like other medical patches?

7. How would you evolve a patch to include BLE that will let you know when you're too far from your iPhone or un/lock your iPhone, iPad and Mac when your within a certain proximity?

8. Where would this patch be placed?

9. How long would it last?

10. Would the adhesive be an issue for people in terms of comfort and health?

11. How would I easily check to see who is calling with a patch?

12. How would I easily switch tracks whilst jogging with a parch?

13. Where would this patch be worn?

14. How big would the patch be if even simple fitness bands, like Fitbit Force, are way to bulky to be placed within a patch?

15. How would you charge it?

I'm going to stop at 15 questions.

Great points, and I am not saying it won't happen, just that I am a little sceptical.

I have no idea how such a patch would work. In fact I doubt if there would only be a single patch. The patches and or straps, wrist bands etc would purely be sensors and I guess yes, batteries and bluetooth connectivity would have to be included. There are currently sensors that will constantly measure blood glucose but I don't think these are reliable and particularly advanced in terms of offering a permanent solution for diabetics. A wristband such as an iWatch would be able to measure many things and would be excellent in a fitness context, but for a breakthrough medical device my thoughts were that a wrist device alone would not be good enough. Still, I am only speculating. I don't think Apple will bring out a device aimed at fitness alone as the market is way to small. A medical connected device potentially has a HUGE market.

As for your other points I was suggesting that the iPhone would suffice and that perhaps third party 'patch makers' or sensor developers could hook up to the device. 

Here is an interesting article re the digitalization of personal medicine http://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2013-09-20/qa-eric-topol-how-digital-revolution-will-change-medicine