Apple files new San Francisco store renderings featuring massive two-story sliding glass doors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Apple recently filed a set of revised plans for its forthcoming Union Square Apple Store ahead of a permit hearing scheduled for Feb. 5, with the latest documents revealing a redesigned front facade and exhaustive construction summary.

A packet of documents prepared by Foster + Partners and Page & Turnbull reveal the scope of Apple's latest plans for the Union Square location, including the usual bead-blasted steel, structural glass and column-free interior. The new flagship Apple Store will bring a new element to Apple's design arsenal: full-height, two-story sliding glass doors. When closed, each 44-foot steel-framed piece forms one of six panels, which creates a four-panel arrangement when open.

From the filing:
Full‐height, powder‐coated steel framing members will separate the large butt‐glazed glass panels into six bays at the Post Street (front) façade. The center bays of the facade will be operable so they will slide open to create a full‐height opening at the center of the facade.
The renderings, images of which were first published by SocketSite, are part of a larger case report filed with the San Francisco Planning Department and will be used during a hearing with the city's Historic Preservation Commission on Wednesday, AppleInsider has learned. From lighting and glass types to tree species, Apple's plans are laid out in the 258-page packet.

Aside from the gigantic glass doors, not much has changed from the previous plans unveiled in December. The cantilevered steel-and-glass sturcture is an open two-story design with a front facade completely open to Post st., while a rear plaza will feature a waterfall for an "urban oasis" feel.

Apple Store

The site has gone through a number of iterations since being announced in early 2013, including concessions for a "folk art" fountain sculpture that is to be moved ten feet and incorporated into the new rear plaza.

Apple's original plans for the Union Square outlet sparked a small controversy over the apparent removal of a fountain designed by local artist Ruth Asawa. The sculpture, which tells the history of San Francisco in 41 plaques made of baker's dough then cast in bronze, dates back to 1973.

A full copy of the report is embedded below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38

And a free-air holographic sign projected from the roof that says, “We’re sorry about the hideous fountain.”

• Reply 2 of 38
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    How many BO sensors?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

How many BO sensors?

None, just free passes to the world's ugliest jacuzzi located in the plaza out the back.

• Reply 4 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Not sure "massive" is the word I'd use to describe the doors.  I work at some airplane hangars (private planes) sliding doors that big (if not bigger) is the norm.  

Seeing it for a retail store is interesting though.  I wonder if insurance companies will shudder at the thought of a car thief driving a car though those massive doors.

• Reply 5 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So there are ceiling to floor doors that open on the first and second floor to a drop to street level? That's a terrible idea, inviting accidents! Surely I've misunderstood?
  • Reply 6 of 38

Another amazing piece of architecture. Seems to be pushing engineering to its limits, with giant glass doors and creating a second level that hovers over the first. If you skip to page 233 you can go straight to the renderings. They also included some other stores at the end. I'm guessing the point is to emphasize that Apple is not content to just mimic its past designs, but does "the right thing" for a given setting. In this case, looking over Union Square, thus making a wide open building that welcomes visitors by blurring the distinction between indoor and out. Whereas on other buildings Apple merely renovates and preserves, content to have little more than a cutout of their logo to let us know what is inside (Covent Garden).

• Reply 7 of 38
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That sure is gross to look at.

• Reply 8 of 38
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    How will they do when it rains? The first few meters in the store will be soaked if they don't close the doors.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess certain things are possible in the climate of San Francisco that are not possible in colder climes. I wonder if shoplifters will find clever ways to leverage that open second floor.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    There better not be anywhere for birds to perch inside. Otherwise I'm picturing a lot of Mac and iThings with bird crap on them.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    That's an example of mental masturbation.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

So there are ceiling to floor doors that open on the first and second floor to a drop to street level? That's a terrible idea, inviting accidents! Surely I've misunderstood?

Yes you did, mate. If you zoom in a bit and look at the area with the staircase, you'll see that the second floor is set well back from the from the front doors and there is a railing around the edge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

How will they do when it rains? The first few meters in the store will be soaked if they don't close the doors.

Haven't you heard, mon ami? It doesn't rain in California…and I don't mean the song. There is a serious drought out west. No rain for the entire month of January. Been like that for months. If it does rain, I imagine people will be dancing in the street…and I don't mean the movie. ;) 

• Reply 14 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I checked out the original article and there are "regular sized all-glass doors in the non-sliding bays which would act as the primary access points for the store when the full-height doors are closed. There are two sets of doors from the redesigned plaza behind the store as well." The large sliding doors open up the center portion of the store. On a nice day in SF (happens all the time), this could provide some nice ventilation to get rid of all the body odor smell from the horde of buyers (different article). 

• Reply 15 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    While these glass fronted stores are very cool, I wonder when Apple will try to look at ways to keep these idiot thieves from running their car into the store, ruining it and making off with store displays. Something like this, not only would it ruin the store front, but would also be very expensive to fix. What the fix would be, I'm not sure. There are very bright people at Apple and its design consultants to figure this stuff out.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Let's hope these doors don't fall on someone. This would have probably killed the guy who had his pelvis broken when an 800 pound Apple glass door fall on him!

http://macdailynews.com/2013/12/26/800-pound-apple-retail-store-door-falls-on-customer-breaking-his-pelvis-in-maryland/
  • Reply 17 of 38
    I may not be able to see it using my phone, but where is the prominent Apple logo in front?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I may not be able to see it using my phone, but where is the prominent Apple logo in front?

Gone, now that the stupid door idea is in place.

• Reply 19 of 38

I bet no snow blowers will be allowed near those doors!  Maybe the new doors will be bullet proof, I bet Apple is working on that!  

• Reply 20 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

I bet no snow blowers will be allowed near those doors!  Maybe the new doors will be bullet proof, I bet Apple is working on that!  

You do realize this is in San Francisco don't you. Last snow that actually stuck was back in 1976 (http://ggweather.com/sf/snow.html).