Bank of America, U2 debut iTunes-powered Product (RED) promotion during Super Bowl

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Bank of America will donate $1 to U2 frontman Bono's Product (RED) charity for every iTunes download of the rock band's newest single, which can be grabbed from Apple's music store for free, before midnight tonight.

"We're taking all the energy around the Super Bowl and interest in what U2's doing and flipping it," Bono told USA Today, "into the fight against HIV AIDS."

The track --?called Invisible -- first aired in a 60-second-long commercial during Super Bowl XLVIII that also announced the partnership with Bank of America. Invisible is the first single from U2's upcoming studio album, the band's 13th.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple has long supported Bono's efforts with Product (RED) --?the company has donated fifty percent of the profits earned fro Product (RED) Special Edition iPods and accessories since they went on sale in 2006. In addition, design chief Jony Ive curated an auction last November that featured items such rose gold EarPods and and Product (RED) Mac Pro that brought in nearly $1 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There are no words to describe how much I despise Bono.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pmz wrote: »

Then don't bother trying.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    pmz wrote: »
    Yes I hate how he uses the spotlight to help the poor nations with their debt and get AIDS drugs to Africa. Sucks for those who's lives have been saved because if his work to try help them. /s.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Downloaded the song last night. It's pretty good, although I admit many of their recent songs just haven't got the memorable or "sing-along" qualities of their earlier work. Either way, it's for a good cause.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Since you can buy something over and over again on itunes would it make BOA have to lee[p donating money? If so, someone should set up software to keep buying it over and over to make them spend every freaking penny they have.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yes, one of the entities responsible for ruining the world's economy is trying to buy positive image by giving a pathetic micro pittance of money to a humanitarian cause. They probably have enough wealth to directly end several serious humanitarian issues outright, and still provide funding to complete research on other massive issues that don't get nearly enough funding.

What will this deal cost them? 50,000$ at most? They spend more than that per week on lawyers.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Yes, one of the entities responsible for ruining the world's economy is trying to buy positive image by giving a pathetic micro pittance of money to a humanitarian cause. They probably have enough wealth to directly end several serious humanitarian issues outright, and still provide funding to complete research on other massive issues that don't get nearly enough funding.

What will this deal cost them? 50,000$ at most? They spend more than that per week on lawyers.

It's not your decision on how others choose to spend their money.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's very generous of them, $1 per download, it will surely run in the millions.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    They already hit the $2M mark and they are continuing to donate over that goal from continued downloads until midnight.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then don't bother trying.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.  He's too stupid to know which words to use.  Someone who is trying to do good deeds in the world and this tool has the nerve to say he despises the person doing it.  Karma is a bitch and maybe he will get what's coming to him.

• Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Since you can buy something over and over again on itunes would it make BOA have to lee[p donating money? If so, someone should set up software to keep buying it over and over to make them spend every freaking penny they have.

You cannot keep buying something over and over again on iTunes, unless you are using multiple AppleIDs.  It is linked to the AppleID purchase, which is free, not the number of downloads from the same AppleID.

• Reply 12 of 15

asdf

• Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's not your decision on how others choose to spend their money.

And yet you're probably very happy that people are donating to this charity right?

Go bask in the glory of your inflated sense of self-worth.

• Reply 14 of 15
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    nanoakron wrote: »
    And yet you're probably very happy that people are donating to this charity right?

I may be missing your point but even if he is happy that people are supporting a charity, he is not the one making the decision for them - they get to choose how to spend their own money.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I fail to see the connection. Expound.