North Korea borrows liberally from Apple's OS X in new 'Red Star OS' update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56

No, they rejected Samsung's contract because the Sammy people wanted to copy Windows 8! 

• Reply 22 of 56
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Maybe they can get mail working.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    mazecookie wrote: »
    Apple's Lawyers will be murdered if flew to North Korea to sue the state.
    Fewer lawyers? Are you arguing for or against this plan?
  • Reply 24 of 56
    NORTH KOREA IS BEST KOREA!
  • Reply 25 of 56
    If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess (the lousy) Apple Mail gets it due!:p
  • Reply 26 of 56
    What? Korea is "borrowing" instead of innovating? INCONCEIVABLE!
  • Reply 27 of 56
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If North Koreans have this, just Imagine what sort of OS samsung runs on their headquarters, in the South.

OS S 10.9.1, with the famous S-fari browser, and S-tunes. Not to mention the fantastic IDE, sCode, the sBooks app, s-messages, s-photo, s-movie etc.

Since Apple does not even use Macs in their own datacenters, imagine what sort of OS they are running in there. Maybe they call it Wac OS?  Maybe that's where North Korea "borrowed" it from.

• Reply 28 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Was Bill Gates their consultant?
  • Reply 29 of 56
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Maybe they can get mail working.

LOL

Works fine in the the 10.9.2 versions, hang in there.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    Looks like Scott Forstall's got a new job.

Scott was more iOS than OS X wasn't he?

The irony is South Korea also has a rip off of Apple's IP fueling their technology, AKA Android, and here we have this in the north. Where would Korea be without Apple?
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

What? Korea is "borrowing" instead of innovating? INCONCEIVABLE!

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

• Reply 32 of 56
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kenfused View Post

I smell a lawsuit coming =)

No, on trivial matters like these, Apple will just laugh and move on.

• Reply 34 of 56
    It just so happens that Apple copied their UI design from The Great Leader and Eternal President, who had a vision of this UI some 40 years ago. /s
  • Reply 35 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What's the difference between South Korea and North Korea besides a pint sized, murderous dictator with a laughable haircut?

They both steal equally from Apple.

• Reply 36 of 56
    I think apple will just accept this one. North Korea is a closed state so it's not like they are loosing sales there. At least North Korea got this right. If you are going to copy anyone, make sure you pick the right company. If North Korea now flureshes maybe the rest of the world will wake from their windoze stuper and realise what is holding everyone back !
  • Reply 37 of 56

While they changed the colors to avoid confusion with Lion/iOS6 icons, the icons are immediately familiar and recognizable.

They correctly felt not to be influenced by the iOS7 look. (The fact they also kept aqua blue for the Cocoa widgets, either means they are a little behind, or they decided that too gray an interface isn't the way to go -- given that the traffic light buttons in the left upper corner of the windows are rather large, I suspect their main inspiration is still with Tiger -- bet the version number of Red Star OS is 10.4).

• Reply 38 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's the difference between South Korea and North Korea besides a pint sized, murderous dictator with a laughable haircut?

They both steal equally from Apple.

If we're going to casually equate companies with countries then so does the USA (aka Microsoft).

• Reply 39 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If we're going to casually equate companies with countries then so does the USA (aka Microsoft).

Oh, definitely, I don't disagree.

There's also Google, which is of course USA. Google is worse than MS, in my opinion.

• Reply 40 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If you had a chance to design your own OS, doing the GUI would be one of the funnest parts, I don't know why they would copy someone else's.