Rumor: Apple hires 'sleep expert' from Philips Research for iWatch project

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
A report on Tuesday claims Apple has made another hire for its so-called "iWatch" project, this time a sleep expert from Philips Research who could transform the wearable into proactive monitoring device.

Raymann
Photo showing sleep science patient believed to be Dr. Roy Raymann. | Roy Raymann via Twitter

In a possible addition to the rumored iWatch team, Apple recently took on Dr. Roy J.E.M. Raymann, a scientist who has contributed a great deal of literature and research to the field of sleep studies, according to 9to5Mac.

It should be noted that AppleInsider was not able to confirm Raymann's move to Apple, and as such offers the following strictly for purposes of discussion.

On his LinkedIn profile, Raymann describes himself as an "Expert on Sleep Research, Ambulatory Monitoring, Psychophysiology, Performance Measures, Thermoregulation, Circadian Physiology and Sleep Enhancement." He has worked with various sensor technologies that can monitor sleep behaviors and applied his research to treat sleep disorders.

For example, Raymann has experimented and wrote scientific papers on various methods and approaches to sleep modification such as thermoregulation and light treatment, the latter of which is heavily promoted by Philips.

Raymann left Philips in early January and also stepped down from his post on the Dutch Society for Sleep-Wake Research's (NSWO) scientific committee. During his time at the Dutch-based company, Raymann was part of a number of initiatives relating to the treatment of sleep disorders. Examples include project lead on sleep and thermoregulation; a supervisory role in power napping, GSR and sleep, vigilance and light exposure; founder of the Philips Sleep Experience Laboratory.

As for his background in wearables, Raymann worked for think tank TNO prior to his stint at Philips. During his time as a scientist at TNO Defense, Raymann conducted research on thermoregulation and wearable physiological sensors as applied to athletes and soldiers. In addition, he conducted studies to help protect against frostbite, offer thermal comfort in extreme environmental conditions and find ways to sleep in the cold.

With a healthy background in sleep monitoring and non-pharmacological sleep behavior modification, Raymann would be an interest addition to Apple's rumored health initiative, which could come as soon as iOS 8.

A number of fitness and health trackers already have devices on the market that monitor sleep patterns, but none actually alter how a user sleeps. While mere speculation, it is possible that a wearable device could continually monitor a user and sound alerts or vibrate to modify unwanted sleep patterns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    If all of these people are only being hired now, don't expect an "iWatch" or "iBand" or whatever any time soon.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    As the image in the article clearly illustrates there will be no iWatch. Instead there will be a number of sensors strategically positioned that will communicate with your iPhone and the new iWatch app. It will look nothing like the mess of cables in the photo however. Apple will summon its best designers to resolve the usability issue. Expect the suite of iUndergarments to be launched this spring.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    something tells me this will be a health device more than anything..
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

(snip)

Expect the suite of iUndergarments to be launched this spring.

"They're magical."

• Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

It makes sense that the focus of this product is something thats not currently being offered... Why buy a device to read text messages from our other device?

• Reply 6 of 28

Apple is really smart on this.

The first goal towards good heath is a good night's sleep.

Then diet and then exercise.

If one can achieve positive results in these three areas, physical and mental health are more likely.

Not assured, but more likely. But it all starts with a good night's sleep! :)

Best.

• Reply 7 of 28
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Not necessarily. Apple has some pretty smart engineers and they could have a lot of the groundwork already laid. For instance, the hardware and basic software and maybe even the apps. They may be adding these experts to review their work and test the final output and put the final stamp of approval on it. Apple also tends to start with a core set of functionality in the initial product and then extend from there. The experts would also allow for more advanced features.  They *could* be in the alpha or even early internal beta of the product.

Also, Apple would need to announce the product and build excitement.  They may also want to give developers time to update or create apps that work with it. Announce in March and start selling in summer.

• Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

Ditto.  The more I learn about this project, the more I think it is a truly good one.

• Reply 9 of 28
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I can see the concept of the Apple wearable more clearly now. Where others have envisaged a screen on the wrist that duplicates what is happening to the phone in your pocket the Apple wearable will give your iOS devices insight into what is happening inside your body. Imagine future iOS devices doing situational and context-aware computing. Options like "do not disturb" could have a setting that turns it on/off when you are asleep/awake.

• Reply 10 of 28
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I should also say, they may have hired exports that hold patents to avoid litigation and use that expertise solely in their products.

• Reply 11 of 28

The thing people have misunderstood about the "iWatch" is the meaning of the word "watch".  

• Reply 12 of 28
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"They're magical."

LDS filing lawsuit in 3 - 2 - 1..

• Reply 13 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I might consider version 2 of whatever it is.

• Reply 14 of 28
    Think hospital, care faculties as well as individuals. The addressable market is wide ranging.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I think they will go with iband. Just a hunch.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Now if this watch stops my snoring, it is a done deal.

And if Apple opens it up for developers, who knows what can happen? I hope there will be an app that brings breakfast to my bed just in time when I wake up. And I hope it does exercise for me, so I won't have to.

But seriously: It is genuinely exciting to watch what direction Apple is heading. Very interested in the result. This project is the only thing stopping me from buying a pebble.
  • Reply 17 of 28

Apple has been hiring these professionals in the last few YEARS.

I know that this isn't Samsung insider, but it think that some of you should that a look at recent Samsung rumors (I saw it at Android central). Basically, a new app for the S5 was spotted. It is called S-health, and it has a flatter UI. Not flat like Windows phone or anything Google does, it really is an iOS app, design-wise. Why am I saying this?

Yes, Samsung can do as they please, but it is shameful. Remember the golden S4 when the iPhone 5S golden was in the news every single day? I know that they took a it this quarter, but bringing the S5 ahead of planned and focussing on this stuff in light of these rumors... It's just low-level. Especially since it's a useless app, they just want the news about it.

• Reply 18 of 28
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I still say it's an array of sensors in a ring. It may be a 1/2 thick ring, but a ring it'll be. No one wants to sleep with their watch on. Then again, it could go on the ankle, or even around the calf...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Apple has been hiring these professionals in the last few YEARS.

I know that this isn't Samsung insider, but it think that some of you should that a look at recent Samsung rumors (I saw it at Android central). Basically, a new app for the S5 was spotted. It is called S-health, and it has a flatter UI. Not flat like Windows phone or anything Google does, it really is an iOS app, design-wise. Why am I saying this?

Yes, Samsung can do as they please, but it is shameful. Remember the golden S4 when the iPhone 5S golden was in the news every single day? I know that they took a it this quarter, but bringing the S5 ahead of planned and focussing on this stuff in light of these rumors... It's just low-level. Especially since it's a useless app, they just want the news about it.

Samsung S-Health was launched in 2012 on Samsung Galaxy S III.

No doubt that Apple will be accused of copying.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Imagine...

Angry Birds Blood Pressure Monitor

Minecraft Muscle-Builder Edition

Facebook Skin Cancer Early Detection Kit

Candy Crush Blood Glucose Monitor

The possibilities are endless!