Rumor: Apple hires 'sleep expert' from Philips Research for iWatch project

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Unwanted sleep patterns? You mean living in a country that believes sleep doesn't matter to human health? The country where the phrase "a lack of sleep never killed anyone" (which is false) is the automatic corporate response to employees suffering lack of sleep due to their employment hours and stress. The country where they throw drugs at you which destroy quality of sleep instead of solving the problem (the problem is lack of deep sleep, not getting unconscious). The country where quality of sleep isn't even understood as a thing.

The problem is institutional. Not individual. You cannot solve a socially created epidemic by covering the symptoms in the individuals least tolerant of the toxic lifestyle. That's why the rest of us are called lazy and weak, rather than called victims of inhuman expectations and demands.

But there's no room for being human in the wage slave pits of unfettered American capitalism.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Karl? Is that you?

Just kidding.  I think you may be over-exaggerating and generalizing all American businesses into this stereotype.  First, if you really aren't getting enough sleep because of your job, you can always quit said job. No one is making you stay in that particular job. If you are stuck in a low paying job that makes you work long hours... then don't work there and demand something better. The reason employers pay so little is because the supply is high and demand is low. But if everyone demanded a higher wage instead of settling for working for peanuts, well the minimum wage would increase. Instead, people settle for it.  It could be that they aren't really worth much as an employee. If you don't like that, get some education and demand more and realize that if you don't, you will be replaced by robots soon.

Of course the other side of the equation is called "living within your means".  My parents didn't make a lot of money growing up but they supported us and even managed to save a little for us to get into college. No we didn't have cable TV, multiple Xboxes or lived in a big house. But what we did was work together and became more than what our situation predicted. We didn't look to the government to bail us out and we didn't blame others... we took responsibility for our own lives.  My mother grew up in a barn (literally) and didn't have running water. I can see now how hard work and not settling for being a victim allowed her, and my father too, to rise up out of that situation.

So stop blaming others for exploiting you or whatever and take control over the world around you. This is difference between the rich and the poor. Think and act beyond your situation.

• Reply 23 of 28
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Unwanted sleep patterns? You mean living in a country that believes sleep doesn't matter to human health?

No, your fantasy has absolutely nothing to do with what we’re discussing, thanks. Bye.

• Reply 24 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Sleep? Reading all these rumors about an "iWatch" is more sleep-inducing that counting sheep. I'll pay attention after Apple issues invitations to an "iWatch event."
  • Reply 25 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

But there's no room for being human in the wage slave pits of unfettered American capitalism.

The average American worker's lifestyle is bourgeois-cushy compared to the average Japanese salaryman's lifestyle.

Ever hear the term "karoshi"?  It's Japanese for "death from overwork".

I've worked in Japan, and yes, it's a real thing there.

• Reply 26 of 28
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member

That is definitely the case now.  But that could change with Apple doing something extraordinary with this new invention, (if it will do half the things they are saying it will do).

Present time, employers push for workers to do more at work.  And they care less if you are sleep deprived or completely exhausted because of keeping up with the work they pile on you.   Surely they make people think and feel that if they cannot "keep up" or "produce", there is always somebody else that can and might replace you.   So most employees have to put up with all the stress.

But if the"iWhatever", has enough sensors that show how worn out you are because of all the stress you suffer because of the "extra hours" or "mental anguish" that should not come with you fulfilling your employment as stated on day of hire.  I would think that the record showing that on a "scientifically approved" apparatus, might be enough for an employee to go to a Lawyer and legally have enough grounds for a malpractice suit of some kind. 

• Reply 27 of 28
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Those who think that the photo depicts something bizarre should be aware that the sensors are important to diagnose sleep disorders such as sleep apnea, a surprisingly common yet unrecognized condition with consequences that can range from mild to life-threatening. Because of the present sensory and analytical regimen, sleep studies such as the one shown are generally conducted overnight in a controlled clinical environment rather than at home in the study subject's own bed. A combination of bluetooth wireless sensors and an iPhone data recording app could have a major impact on both the convenience in obtaining information and in reducing sleep study costs, which typically run into the four figures for a single overnight diagnostic session.

Here are some statistics from the Epidemiology section of the Wikipedia article article on sleep apnea. Forgive the pun, but they're nothing to "sneeze at."

"The Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study estimated in 1993 that roughly one in every 15 Americans was affected by at least moderate sleep apnea.[54][55] It also estimated that in middle-age as many as nine percent of women and 24 percent of men were affected, undiagnosed and untreated.[54][55][56]

"The costs of untreated sleep apnea reach further than just health issues. It is estimated that in the U.S. the average untreated sleep apnea patient's annual health care costs $1,336 more than an individual without sleep apnea. This may cause $3.4 billion/year in additional medical costs. Whether medical cost savings occur with treatment of sleep apnea remains to be determined.[57]"

• Reply 28 of 28
    In addition to the athlete applications, I envision is a device that will be constantly monitoring all of you vital signs and if anything such as blood sugar drops, irregular heartbeat, breathing problems are detected then the device could call 911 and your doctor and send health data automatically to the paramedics before they even arrive. Imagine how many older adults would want something like that.