Samsung wants Olympians to hide the Apple logo on their iPhones during opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

They are not sponsoring the athletes, only the venue therefore the athletes should tell Samsung to pound sand. I know this event is being held in Russia when an individual's liberties are not high on the priority list but since this is an international event the venue should be considered neutral territory like an embassy and therefore the participants should have the same freedoms afforded in their home country.

At the London Olympics, within a certain zone, you could only buy French fries from McDonalds.  No local fish & chips shops could ply their chips. The Clown had complete control over the fries.  Yep.  Local London chips makers were forbidden from selling chips in their own city.

This is not a Russian problem, nor one of less freedom than in their home countries.  It is corporate sponsors going wild and the IOC giving them the green light.

• Reply 102 of 151
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If you're going to pull that nonsense then I'd rather just ignore you, thanks.

My reading comprehension is fine, but your ability to present a clear and cogent argument, or indeed any kind of recognisable point, is severely lacking.

Please don't feed the trolls.  Ignore them and hopefully they will go away.

• Reply 103 of 151
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Please don't feed the trolls.  Ignore them and hopefully they will go away.

Try reading, kiddo.

• Reply 104 of 151
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Alright, I hadn't considered this. Mea culpa. This makes more sense. 

So am I correct in assuming that this explains Samsung's order? Is there a relationship between the two?

Well, did anyone tell athletes in the Bejing opening ceremonies to hide their Apple logos? No? Then what does it have to do with this "Rule 40"? This is Samsung's terms for getting a free Galaxy Note 3. "Rule 40" is but a smokescreen.
  • Reply 105 of 151
    Samsung have been one of the 10 TOP sponsors for decades. The Olympic Movement is pretty vocal about these sponsors because of the money they contribute. Spend any time working in or around The Games and you'll see this.
  • Reply 106 of 151
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

I know I'm late to the game here, but, the fallout from the media attention received from this is going to be far more embarrassing for Samsung than any shiny Apple logo seen being used during a selfie. These execs are so out of touch with the real world, they don't understand internet viral repercussions. Viral, as in, virus, as in, "YER DEAD!"

• Reply 107 of 151
    Double post. Blaming Duddler.
  • Reply 108 of 151

I suggest that all athletes simply not take any cameras at all... just Air Cams.  That would get people talking and not break the rules.

• Reply 109 of 151

This story reminds me of the incident when the 6 year old guest on Jimmy Kimmel live was given a Sony tablet as a gift and he blurted out, "Oh, we are getting an iPad for Christmas!"   The tape had to be edited real fast.  

• Reply 110 of 151
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Alright, I hadn't considered this. Mea culpa. This makes more sense. 

So am I correct in assuming that this explains Samsung's order? Is there a relationship between the two?

No this is incorrect. The rule clearly states "mentioning" a product. It in no way limits anyone from using a product they personally own. Lawyers may argue but they would lose in this case. The user would actually have to scream "vive la Apple" while holding up their iPhone during an interview to be in violation.

Once again this is a case of Samsung not understanding the rules.
  • Reply 111 of 151
    That's just plan sad%u2026and too funny that in some cases they can't even give way their phones for free.
  • Reply 112 of 151

if I was an olympian I would tape over the Apple logo just as Samsung wants. I then would write the letters APPLE with a big black sharpie pen

• Reply 113 of 151
    Come on, would it have been too much work to color the Apple logos to match the rings?

No. iPhone 5C colors!
  • Reply 114 of 151
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasondwelsh View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Come on, would it have been too much work to color the Apple logos to match the rings?

No. iPhone 5C colors!

iOS 7 colors!

• Reply 115 of 151
    I totally see the olympians using the free samsung with apple logos..
  • Reply 116 of 151

Who in his right mind would want to be associated with this Olympic game anyway ... .

• Reply 117 of 151
    sflocal wrote: »
    If the length of their "commitment" to Samsung means just getting the Note, and nothing else... I wouldn't accept it.  I think it's embarrassing that a cheap, piece of crap phablet the the Note means you have to essentially inconvenience yourself during the opening ceremony.  Considering how much money that olympian invested over the years to get to the games, only to have some trash company give you junk and tell you what to do.  It's embarrassing. 

Now, if Samsung is sponsoring the entire games, that is an entirely different matter.  There's clearly historical actions taken from other sponsors in years past like Nike and Adidas.  What about folks like the media that may be using their MacBooks?  Must they cover those illuminated logos or does it just a apply to phones if the camera pans to someone at some box seat using a Mac?

The BBC are notorious for blurring out Apple logos, so I'm pleased to report that MacBook Pros were proudly on display in a nature documentary aired recently called 'Lost Land of the Jaguar.' No attempt was made to blur and the MacBook Pro label was clearly visible, not to mention the obvious OS X. Perhaps they're starting to see sense, finally.
  • Reply 118 of 151
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    evilution wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Samsung spent at least $100 million to sponsor the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.</span>

Really! I live and work in London and had direct dealings with the Olympics. Samsung sponsoring is news to me, I don't remember seeing any advertising. Maybe I'm Samsung blind.

Yes really!
    http://www.olympic.org/Documents/IOC_Marketing/London_2012/IOC_Marketing_Media_Guide_2012.pdf
    Page 37 - 38

When the OTR - Olympic Torch Relay passed through Norfolk, there were several vehicles plastered with sponsors logos and Samsung was prominent. There were temporary hoardings along the route with only Samsung's logo on display.
    At Hadleigh Farm(mountain bikes) Samsung logos were prominently displayed at both the starting gate and finish. There was even a tent touting Samsung's commitment to the Olympic ideals of worldwide engagement.
    It was hard to miss them and I'm sure I could dredge up some photos to prove it.
    To be fair, all the major sponsors were doing the same, particularly the sugar and fat duopoly of Coke and McDonalds.
    I also produced and supplied some cycling parts late in the day which had to be packed in a special security-cleared container plastered with Samsung's logo.
    Frankly, it was hard to miss.
  • Reply 119 of 151
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member

This reminds me of when Sony lent the State of CA some computer monitors to be used in the OJ Simpson murder trial. One of the monitor was on Judge Ito desk and a giant, highly contrasting, "Sony" logo on the back of it was visable every time the camera pointed to a witness on the stand. From watching the trial on TV, you swear Sony was a sponsor of the trial. It was like seeing a giant "Budweiser" billboard every time the camera aimed at the outfield of a televised baseball game. It turned out to be tens of millions of dollars of free advertising for Sony. Sony claimed that they had no idea that this would happen and offered to make the "Sony" logo less prominent, but not cover it up completely,  when people (mostly likely Sony competitors) started complaining about it.