Cook says Apple to enter 'new categories' with upcoming devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    nht wrote: »
    Yes, Apple's share is suffering from catastrophic collapse...unless you look at the fact that Apple continues to gain share in the total mobile market...

Where is Android taking share from?  Not iOS but feature phones.  As long as Apple grows sales faster than the total handset market it's doing okay.

Apple started with zero percent marketshare just 7 years ago. What collapse?
  • Reply 22 of 223
    cash907 wrote: »
    He said the same thing last year, and all we got were updates of existing products. Tim needs to stop with the red herrings, and focus on actually releasing new products in new categories.

Why? No one else is innovating. Why must be Apple the ones who innovate? Why before 2020?
  • Reply 23 of 223
    nht wrote: »
    According to the latest statistics from Kantar WorldPanel, iOS growth is contracting while Android continues to amass more users. Research firm Strategy Analytics concurred in its fourth quarter 2013 findings, noting a 4.4 percent dip in worldwide marketshare for the iPhone year-to-year as sales of cheaper offerings from smaller OEMs grow.

Yes, Apple's share is suffering from catastrophic collapse...unless you look at the fact that Apple continues to gain share in the total mobile market...

Where is Android taking share from?  Not iOS but feature phones.  As long as Apple grows sales faster than the total handset market it's doing okay.

Well, but Nokia, Motorola, LG, Sony, Asus, Dell, HP and all all have awesome market share. Right? It's a shame that by pursuing such thing, they are corpses bleeding money on PC, phones and tablets.
  • Reply 24 of 223

meh

• Reply 25 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious are other companies asked about whether the stuff they're working on is improvements to existing products or new categories? It seems like Apple is the only company where this question is constantly asked. I can't remember the last time Google or Microsoft was asked this question.

I am interested in how you can make the statement that you do and don't remember what Google and Microsoft have been asked. There are sooooo many stories about both companies. Do you have that much free time to follow them all?

Furthermore, someone who follows this scene as closely as you seem to must surely know why Apple would and should be asked this question far more often?

• Reply 26 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

He said the same thing last year, and all we got were updates of existing products. Tim needs to stop with the red herrings, and focus on actually releasing new products in new categories.

No he didn't. Don't make stuff up.

• Reply 27 of 223
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Time will tell whether Cook is bullshitting or not.

• Reply 28 of 223
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    beluga wrote: »
    In all fairness I consider driverless cars innovative. And google glass.
    Zero shipped.
  • Reply 29 of 223

that is irrelevant. 

• Reply 30 of 223

Be it iOS glasses or driverless cars, I would be looking forward to the new category products. After all, I'd love to already add to my list: http://blog.teks.co.in/mac-magic-22-facts-apple-mac-know/ ...so help me out, Tim Cook!

• Reply 31 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Time will tell whether Cook is bullshitting or not.

Cite an instance when he has clearly BSed.

• Reply 32 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Zero shipped.

Untrue.

Also, since when did commercial shipment become the key benchmark of innovation? Only in the eyes of those who don't know any better. There are many instances of innovation when it has nothing to do with shipment of commercial products.

• Reply 33 of 223
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not arguing with that. But it makes the argument that Apple isn't innovating a blind guess since no one who is saying that has any access to their research labs.
  • Reply 34 of 223
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cash907 wrote: »
    tim never promised new categories in 2013.
  • Reply 35 of 223
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Honestly to needs to stop talking about new products especially when everybody knows he's not going to offer up any details. All we get now is the media mocking his statements because they're the same statements he's made umpteen times before.

And when Apple introduce iTV or iWatch they'll get it. Chill.
  • Reply 36 of 223
    Just curious are other companies asked about whether the stuff they're working on is improvements to existing products or new categories? It seems like Apple is the only company where this question is constantly asked. I can't remember the last time Google or Microsoft was asked this question.

When you think about it it is justified though. People look to Apple to lead the way so it makes sense asking them such a question over other companies.
  • Reply 38 of 223
    tim never promised new categories in 2013.

I know, right? Some people have a selective memory. If memory senses me correctly in 2013 he promised exciting products in 2013 for the end of the year and 2014.
  • Reply 39 of 223
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

that is irrelevant. 

If a tree falls in a forest, but no one hears it, does it still make a sound? If you have a brilliant idea, but never make a product that effects anybody's life, is that still innovation? "Real artists ship" - Steve Jobs

• Reply 40 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    beluga wrote: »
    In all fairness I consider driverless cars innovative. And google glass.

Had those same things come from Apple I guarantee you they would have been dubbed merely 'evolutionary' by Wall Street because we have had cars and glasses for a long time, then AAPL would have gone down.