Apple, UAE government may collaborate on education initiatives - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014

As part of his ongoing whistle-stop world tour, Apple CEO Tim Cook on Thursday spoke with officials from the government of the United Arab Emirates to discuss a range of topics including a possible partnership on new e-learning programs.

Tim Cook meets with UAE officials

Tim Cook meets with UAE officials in Dubai on Thursday | Source: Khaleej Times

Cook met with UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs Mohammad Abdullah Al Gergawi and a handful of other officials from both sides in Dubai, according to a report from the Khaleej Times. The group is said to have talked about the development of next-generation educational applications and the possibility of creating an all-new educational model that can be adopted by other nations.

Al Gergawi — who received his postsecondary education in the United States — praised the potential of a relationship with Apple, saying that the company's history of innovation would be an asset as the government looks to set an example of how such public-private partnerships can benefit both parties.

"The UAE leadership's directives are clearly aligned toward establishing partnerships with global organisations, and the strategic partnership with Apple is in line with the directives of Shaikh Mohammed," Al Gergawi said.

Thursday's meeting was the second publicly-acknowledged conversation between Cook and UAE officials since he has been in the Middle East. The Apple chief sat down with Prime Minister Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in Abu Dhabi last Sunday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Talk about an article with no meat.

EDIT: The title of the article has since changed from:

"Apple CEO Tim Cook talks education collaboration with UAE officials — report"

to

"Apple, UAE government may collaborate on education initiatives - report"

Enough with the link-bait titles, guys.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As part of his ongoing whistle-stop world tour, Apple CEO Tim Cook...

Does Cook have a private jet?

alexsaunders790
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Apple was always the outsider, the rebel. Deals like this are very important going forward.

Due to huge loyalty levels, doing this educational push is the equivalent of laying the foundations for a great future, a future that has Apple in it. Not a corpse, like Nokia, Sony, etc, but has the heart and brain of innovation.

It will give them the stability needed to do something bold, risky, rewarding. It can be the change in mentality from surviving (until the ipod), thriving (until now), dominating (future).

No meat?
    alexsaunders790
  • Reply 4 of 11

No meat, I don't know, no pork, definitely.

alexsaunders790
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Never thought of that part of the world as a 'learning' hub.
    alexsaunders790
  • Reply 6 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does Cook have a private jet?

I bet Apple does. ;) 

I suppose this is misuse of company funds and they should be giving it back to their shareholders instead! 

/sarcasm

• Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple was always the outsider, the rebel. Deals like this are very important going forward.

Due to huge loyalty levels, doing this educational push is the equivalent of laying the foundations for a great future, a future that has Apple in it. Not a corpse, like Nokia, Sony, etc, but has the heart and brain of innovation.

It will give them the stability needed to do something bold, risky, rewarding. It can be the change in mentality from surviving (until the ipod), thriving (until now), dominating (future).

No meat?

I'm with you on the importance of education, but if you don't believe Apple is dominating now, who is? Everyone is in absolute panic mode over what Apple is doing, and you only have to look at the wearable technology Samsung is rushing out in order to see that. Or how much money is spent by these companies on "Independent" media coverage for the purpose of skewing numbers.

• Reply 8 of 11
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Talk about an article with no meat.

I think there's meat here, but I'll agree that there's no "sizzle", as in "sexy headline material".

Thompson

• Reply 9 of 11

Cook is outstanding CEO - products, innovation (I believe great categories to be coming shortly), and word wide SALES. 

Only concern that I had was paying attention to the share price/capital - and by the buying last week - I am a little more confident he is listening and acting on Carl's advise.   That $15+ Billion purchase was beautiful - also cut/saved the dividend/payout that just vested for all the shares purchased!

Very good timing indeed.

Lets just hope that Cook announces another big buy back - remember - it is only exercised if in the ensuing year if Apple deems appropriate due to the price of the shares - and needs - but flexibility/authorization are key to acting prudently like he just did with that purchase.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Never thought of that part of the world as a 'learning' hub.

Not of late, perhaps, but in earlier times they were on the cutting edge of maths and sciences. Here's a link with more detail than I can provide:

http://www.famousscientists.org/famous-muslim-arab-persian-scientists-and-their-inventions/
  • Reply 11 of 11
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [quote name="Ration Al" url="/t/161944/apple-uae-government-may-collaborate-on-education-initiatives-report#post_2469156"]
    Not of late, perhaps, but in earlier times they were on the cutting edge of maths and sciences. Here's a link with more detail than I can provide:[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking their secondary education in "core subjects" is much better these days than it is in the U.S. I'm waiting to confirm with my UAE friend, but I suspect they take education more seriously, and can rely on a more committed student population.